DRat40

Saddle Business Plan And Tools

Hi All ,

I would like to take this time to thank all of you for what you are doing for the leather world.

I do some small saddle repare and holsters and tack .And I Iam going to be going to a saddle school when this is final.

I need some help I would like to start a bussiness repareing saddles and building them ,cowboy gear and leather goods.

Places to buy the best of the tools and leather ,hardware ect.

I am looking for any one that could supply me with a sample Bussiness Plan for saddle building.and cost of startup tools.

Ive looked at alot of sewing machines I like the corbra dream machine and the ferdoc Pro 2000 and the alder 205.

Im going thur the VA To the voc rehab but Im doing most of the work looking for this all.

I am a mil, vet trying to get started with my on bussiness.I find a lot comfort in leather work it takes my mind off of the past

Ive been back sence 03 and am just getting my life back on track.

I am not able to get on hear much so if you reply it may take a few days to get back with you.

By the way I live in USA , AZ .

Thanks all

DR

DRGo on Shop talk website and take a look at one of Pete Gorrell's books.....if I remember correctly, he had such a book?? Now, I don't do saddles, but I remember seeing some like it.

Hi, your goal of opening a saddle shop is admirable. I have never regretted doing the same. I think the hardest thing for me was trying to figure out what to charge for my services. I purchased a Cobra dream machine probably 6 to 8 months ago and am loving it, I have not found anything I can't do on it, and have not had any trouble with it short of it getting out of time which was caused by a saddle I was relining and the leather was quite brittle and I ended up breaking 6 needles before it was all said and done, after that it started skipping stitches so I timed it but it didn't seem to help so I called Steve and he helped me to get it right, I just didn't quite have it timed right, Steve is very knowledgeable and eager to help, I would definately recommend the class 4 cobra! Good luck with your business, Alan

Hi All ,

I would like to take this time to thank all of you for what you are doing for the leather world.

I do some small saddle repare and holsters and tack .And I Iam going to be going to a saddle school when this is final.

I need some help I would like to start a bussiness repareing saddles and building them ,cowboy gear and leather goods.

I am looking for any one that could supply me with a sample Bussiness Plan for saddle building.and cost of startup tools.

Ive looked at alot of sewing machines I like the corbra dream machine and the ferdoc Pro 2000 and the alder 205.

Im going thur the VA To the voc rehab but Im doing most of the work looking for this all.

I am a mil, vet trying to get started with my on bussiness.I find a lot comfort in leather work it takes my mind off of the past

I am not able to get on hear much so if you reply it may take a few days to get back with you.

Thanks all

DR

Hi DR.

I have not had a chance to look at Pete's book that was mentioned above, but there is a book I found that is helping me to set my costs and has sample forms concerning Saddle making, repairs etc. it is "How to establish Prices for the Saddle Maker or Leather worker." it is by Bob Brenner -

Contact info in book is: 12155 Donovan Lane, Black Forest, CO 80908 719-495-3176. This book has a lot of good information and forms that help to take into consideration both an hourly rate for income, and the shop rate as well as the material cost when figuring your prices. There goal setting, and budgeting tips to help you along also. It is the best 39.95 I have spent. Good luck!! Deb

DR, first and formost, welcome home, and thank you for your service! As a viet nam vet, I know that for some of us it takes a long time to get back home. As for the relaxing effect of working on leather, especially making saddles, it can't be beat.

Short of having a master that has you on an apprenticeship, the best way to learn saddlemaking and the business it to have advice from sincere folks that are actively involved in the art, and you will find that here. One other place that I recommend is the Saddle Makers of America Association. You will get a lot of valuable info and input there, including where to get books, instructions and the like. Their web sight is http://www.saddlemakers.org/. Hope that helps.

On another note, incase you haven't already looked into it, you mentioned that you were going to a saddle making school, be sure to see about using your GI Bill to pay for it, many years ago I used mine to pay for horse shoeing school. Save me a lot, and made me a lot over the years.

Welcome Home!

Bondo Bob

Thanks for the info folks, on Petes book and the sewing machine.

I think Isaw it in the back of my leathers books.

Keep in touch.

DR

Hi Bob thank You very much .

I checked with the Voc canculer and the info that Igot was the GI bill would only pay for a quarter of the school,and the new Post 911 gi bill was the same .

But If i was to come up with a Bussiness Plan and the Voc Person a OKed it then and only then I could go to school and could buy some of my tools .

It was been a chace.

But I WILL not give Up.

Thanks

DR

Just my two cents. I've been getting into saddlery and a couple things I've learned rather quickly. Be careful about the school you choose. I have looked at a couple and some just want to cover the tree with leather and make it look pretty, but don't understand horses, their anatomy, or how to do a good seat. Depending on the school, you might be wasting time and money. Personally, if you can find a master maker who will show you the right way from the start as an apprentice, I would go that route. They can save you a lot of grief and you can gain invaluable experience.

You can get a lot of cheap tools that will give you a chance to practice without a lot of cost up front, but it can show in the quality of your work. One way of getting better tools besides the second hand route is to do smaller projects such as wraps for beer mugs and such so you can practice, complete a lot of different projects, and then sell them and use the money to upgrade. I made a few for friends and was overwhelmed with requests from people wanting something special for someone.

Tear apart any saddle you can. I have found a lot of people have old saddles they don't want, or that need repairs. I'll tear apart any useless saddle to see how it was built. I find there's as much knowledge in learning what doesn't work as there is in what does. Like Thomas Edison once said. "I've never failed. I've learned 10,000 things that dont' work." If a saddle failed, then pay attention to why. Was it the construction? Materials? It will help avoid making the same mistakes as others. I personally believe there hasn't been a lot that hasn't been tried and there's usually a pretty good reason why things are done the way they are.

I found saddlery is a progression. While it would be great to turn out $50,000 saddles like Bill Maloy and others from the beginning, it's not realistic to expect to produce saddles on the same level as those with 50 years experience. In the beginning you'll probably have to build a lot of more basic saddles to keep the business going as your skills improve. In short, building saddles to sell. Over time and with a lot of dedication it will progress until your work is in demand and you're doing custom orders instead. Keep in mind, business is about supply and demand. The trick is finding the demand and one that's sustainable. While certain styles of tooling and saddles might be more appealing to you, it doesn't do any good if you can only sell one or two a year. It's not easy. You have to figure out what sells, develop the skills, and then find something unique in your products that everyone isn't doing. Don King is a perfect example with the Sheridan Style. If you can make your work recognizable, unique, and appealing to a large audience, then you're in good shape. I think that's the toughest part. With a lot of good carvers out there, particularly in this economy, it's tough to find that perfect combination. I'm still searching. One thing I'm always conscious of is others will see my work. That's the quickest way to sink or swim and your best advertisement. When I move to saddlery full time, I won't worry about selling on the web and want people to see my work in person so they know exactly what they're getting. It will allow me to get direct feedback, see what they're looking for, and help give my work a direction. I'm going to worry about a wider audience when I have a better understanding of what people expect, want, and are willing to pay. I don't want to send out something sight unseen to a customer to have them dissatisfied and worry about them telling others they're disappointed in the product.

The other thing I'm finding is when you deal with people who are passionate about what they do, you have to be a bit careful. For example, if someone is hardcore into Wade style saddles with flat plate rigging, you can quickly push wrong buttons if you start talking about doing a Bowman with an in-skirt rigging. Personally, I want to learn how to do all the styles, even if I don't care for them, simply because I'm a firm believer that the more I know, the better it makes me. However, I have found many saddlers are willing to help you out, but they are just as quick to close the door if they feel they're wasting their time because you don't want to do things their way.

Above all, practice. I have a very long way to go. If you look at the tools old timers used, a lot of them were nothing more than bolts they filed down and turned into tools, yet they produced amazing work. At the end of the day, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. So, while having the best tools, taking classes, and all those other things can help make life easier, more efficient, and increase productivity, you're greatest investment.....and cheapest, is time spent practicing. Best of luck to you!

Thanks Skidder

I've put a lot of thought into the school and I have a saddle maker in the state that is willing to take me on . he has over 35 years Plus in making saddles and tack I fill

conifident in him.He is not a school yet but is going to be If I dint drive him CRAZY. And alot of what you have said he has told me . I have sat and talked to him a few point s .FOR hours with a note book full of Questions . He has given me Quotes on tool and material and places to go ,Tree makers ect. I have talked to some nice school out of state and their students .

He is not a cookie cutter saddle maker . He is very picky and will save me money in the long run.I will make 2 saddles plain with him and after That when I have time I will go back for more schooling on tooling .IT NEVER ENDS.He also tool me to have an open mine about people and their saddle tast.

I've worked on some folks saddles with repair and putting new strings in at the house. In the past I rebuilt pack saddles and riding saddles for the park service at the Grand Canyon, it was great.

For as tools I was told that when you bye ,get the best because when that saddle goes out ,people will talk about you and you will hope it is good.

I have talked to Try West ,Al Guold, Jesse Smith,Dale Morres school,Bill Gomer ,great guys.

I have the leather crafters journals and saddle making veidos staloman books. some tools .

I have a long way to go my self very long but I have a few folks that will help me .THIS web stie is the best I have seen for people helping ,Glad a friend told me about it

It's great I can find every thing right here.

Thanks Again every one for you help

THANKS DR

Hey DR, I'm a fellow Vet (100% S/C) and am having no luck with VA support for Voc Rehab. I just paid my way through Jesse Smith's (FABULOUS) school and I'm hoping to be able to get the VA on the ball with this. Can you share your success and failures with me? I'd be happy if they'd buy my machines or even decide to pay for further education. GRANTS would be nice, but I expect to go through the SBA for most of this. I would like the VA to decide that I'm not "hopeless", just damaged enough that self employment is what I need. That and my Disability income! I'm looking for a business plan too. Thanks in advance.

Elsa (USCG 1982-2007, Ret'd BM1)

Hi All ,

Thanks all

DR

Hi Elsa

First of all welcome home and thank you for your service.I was in Iraq in 03. I have had a long road the last six mounths, with writing my business plan, 5 year cash flow.answering a ton of voc rehab questions I have not gave my packet to the Voc Conselar at this time but it will be soon. I took a 9 week class to build the business plan and now I'm at a collage were they are looking over it and making some crections. The Cash flow is in XL it s hard to do if you not cumputer letert like me .Look on ask Jeeves for Voc Questions for a start.Voc will pay up to $25000.00 for school and tools if you qulify.the GI and Post 911 will only pay 20 or 25 % of the school and no tools from what I was told But I was told by my Voc conslor that he would not by my sewing machine I don t know why.But will buysome tools. On a lighter note how wasJesses school how is he at teaching.I was at the

wickengergshow and did not get to meet him but meat some of the best people in the saddle making world , It was great. I attached at business plan start up of what it should say.hope it helps.

You should get in touch with a OEF/OIF Primary Care they will help you get started.

Shoot me a email to ReynoldsSaddlery@gmail.com for more.

Regards

Davis