Aghrivaine

Sealant For Leather Mugs/bottles With Hot Liquids

Hello everyone! I'm brand new here, and this is my first post. I'm getting started with leatherworking, and want to make some tankards for my upcoming wedding as a gift for my groomsmen. (It's going to be a pirate wedding on Catalina!) We're doing a lot of this stuff in a DIY fashion.

I've seen leather jacks and tankards at Renn Faires and Pirate Festivals, as well as on Etsy, that claim to be safe for hot liquids. As I'm a devoted coffee drinker, this would be highly desirable for me. Does anyone have any idea what resin these crafters are using? I've googled to heck and back and found nothing. Zip. Bupkus! I turn to you, noble leatherworkers, and your infinite wisdom. Will anyone help a humble pirate in need?

this i do know, the folks that use the Jacks for Hot Drink are useing "Food Safe Epoxie"

hope this will help you in looking for a sealant.

this i do know, the folks that use the Jacks for Hot Drink are useing "Food Safe Epoxie"

hope this will help you in looking for a sealant.

I actually heard back from one artisan, who wouldn't tell me what they use - apparently it's a secret - but did let me know that many other leather crafters use "Envirotex" for a mostly heat-proof and food safe resin seal. So I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back on how it works.

I actually heard back from one artisan, who wouldn't tell me what they use - apparently it's a secret - but did let me know that many other leather crafters use "Envirotex" for a mostly heat-proof and food safe resin seal. So I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back on how it works.

THAT IS THE NAME OF THE PRODUCT.

after you get it, tell me how you liked it. and where you bought it.

THAT IS THE NAME OF THE PRODUCT.

after you get it, tell me how you liked it. and where you bought it.

Same here!

I wasn't aware Envirotex was food safe I'd check with the manufacturer first just to make sure before selling stuff to the public, it's used on kitchen counter tops here and used to be sold in Bunnings (hardware store) but they have since changed to a different brand so I can't check. But I definately remember my sister using it as a finish on a wood kitchen counter top and google searches seem to show that it's the same stuff we have here.

Here is the website for Envirotex http://www.eti-usa.com/index.html I couldn't find anywhere where it mentions it is food safe for items to be drunk from, so perhaps someone else might want to take a look as well and see if they can find anything that I may of missed.

Cheers,

Clair

http://www.eti-usa.com/MSDS/MSDS%20PDF/Envirotex%20Lite/Envirotex%20Lite%20Resin.pdf

found the MSDS sheet for the stuff on the website

not being "chemicaly smart" anybody else out there make heads or tails out of it?

http://www.eti-usa.com/MSDS/MSDS%20Index.htm the rest of the MSDS sheets

This page may be a better way to find out if the resin is food safe:

http://www.eti-usa.com/contact/contact.htm

This page may be a better way to find out if the resin is food safe:

http://www.eti-usa.c...act/contact.htm

Yep definately the best way but thought it might be quicker for members to have a look around the website to see if it was mentioned anywhere first in case someone wanted to buy it straight away, was also a holiday here yesterday and I kind of forgot that the rest of the world didn't have it (for the queens birthday bah ha ha we don't even celebrate it on the proper day).

I have only heard second-hand that this stuff is okay for drinking vessels - I'm just reporting what other dealers of leather tankards and flasks have used. I can't find, anywhere, anyone who has named a product that is an epoxy resin that is also food-safe. I'm all ears if anyone has a better product!

That is the big problem - the guys using the stuff will not tell what it is

makes me wonder if it IS food safe?

one of the guys I know takes old soda bottles and cuts and melts the edge and slides them in the mug

he also makes open bottom ones to slide a can in (was my idea) so just a bit of the top of the can sticks out

not the best method for hiding your coke can -- but better than having it just out there on the table in it's bare naket glory

That is the big problem - the guys using the stuff will not tell what it is

makes me wonder if it IS food safe?

one of the guys I know takes old soda bottles and cuts and melts the edge and slides them in the mug

he also makes open bottom ones to slide a can in (was my idea) so just a bit of the top of the can sticks out

not the best method for hiding your coke can -- but better than having it just out there on the table in it's bare naket glory

That is a great idea about the soda bottles. I bet a 1 liter would be the perfect size for a tankard. Plus if it gets worn out, a new 1 liter can be bought, cut to size, and re-inserted with minimal cost & effort. Makes washing it out a lot easier on the leather too! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Andy

you're welcome

he sort of folds the bottle over on the top (I'm sure heat is involved)

so that it isn't a cut edge

The epoxy looks like it may contain the BPA's that are coming under scrutiny by the FDA.

The problem I see with soda bottles are that they are for cold liquids. I use various bottles for water in the car-it's what you do in the desert. I have noticed that when a plastic bottle gets warm the water has a real strong chemical taste.

If it was me I would look for a thin metal liner to build around, or use a ceramic mug instead.

It's true that those who know, and who sell mugs, keep it a big secret. But, after a couple years of keeping my ears open, I found a product that's available in woodworking stores, and I'm telling the world. Just to be contrary, I'm telling everybody. I'm stopping people on the street, I'm taking out TV ads during prime time, I'm renting dirigibles, and getting together a half time show for the next Superbowl. It's called Salad Bowl Finish, by General Finishes. Also available from other manufacturers. Alas, I doubt if it's ok for hot liquids, but it's Food Safe for non-hot liqiuds.

I use it to coat the insides of drinking horns, after they're well cleaned out. The nice thing about it is that it is probably available over the counter in most cities, at woodworking stores...like for guys who use wood chisels, and have a hundred router bits.

Daggrim

Thanks for that rtp41 here is the company website for them http://www.masterbond.com and the page for the food safe stuff I was able to find http://www.masterbon...tds/ep21lv.html

Cheers,

Clair

I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in on this one. I've been curious about leather mugs and cups for awhile myself, and I'm sure I'll get around to making one in the near future. The link that cem listed for the product called "ep21lv" is rated as a service temp of 250F. Since water boils under normal pressure (sea level) at 212F, this seems like it should be good for hot drinks. I just wouldn't use an instant coffee and put it in the microwave to boil head_hurts_kr.gif

The application guide shows that it cures in 24 - 48 hours at room temperature, which sounds reasonable to me, but its cured color is clear-amber. Most likely will change the tint of your project a little.

I'm certainly going to give douglais's suggestion a try, as I don't drink warm liquids, but I may contact Master Bond if I change my mind. If anyone does contact them, let us know what they say and the amount and pricing they are willing to supply.

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. After another minute of looking around, I realized the link that rtp41 was talking about was referring to EP30HT. This one can withstand temps up to 400F and cures in 24 hrs at room temp.

Edited by Ryan Barto

Thanks much for the link , Clair. Since this is also good for hot beverages, I'll investigate it.

Daggrim

Thanks for that rtp41 here is the company website for them http://www.masterbond.com and the page for the food safe stuff I was able to find http://www.masterbon...tds/ep21lv.html

Cheers,

Clair

I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in on this one. I've been curious about leather mugs and cups for awhile myself, and I'm sure I'll get around to making one in the near future. The link that cem listed for the product called "ep21lv" is rated as a service temp of 250F. Since water boils under normal pressure (sea level) at 212F, this seems like it should be good for hot drinks. I just wouldn't use an instant coffee and put it in the microwave to boil head_hurts_kr.gif

The application guide shows that it cures in 24 - 48 hours at room temperature, which sounds reasonable to me, but its cured color is clear-amber. Most likely will change the tint of your project a little.

I'm certainly going to give douglais's suggestion a try, as I don't drink warm liquids, but I may contact Master Bond if I change my mind. If anyone does contact them, let us know what they say and the amount and pricing they are willing to supply.

Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. After another minute of looking around, I realized the link that rtp41 was talking about was referring to EP30HT. This one can withstand temps up to 400F and cures in 24 hrs at room temp.

Cool thanks for that Ryan in the original article rtp41 posted they put RP30HT instead of EP30HT and I didn't realise at the time so couldn't find it by searching I found the other one by going through the PDF guides but this one definately looks like it's the the one to use for the increased temp range.

Cheers,

Clair

Just spoke with a fellow at Master bond and the epoxies mentioned here are not rated for direct food contact, only indirect.

Jon

Other sites I've seen have mentioned Salad Bowl Finishes as well. Such as this one from Rockler Woodworking. I have no idea how well it works but some Home Depot and Lowes locations also carry similar products from what I've been told. I have a Rockler nearby so I'm going to pick some up and try out on a mini-mug. I'll let you know how it works.

I got the Enviro-Tex Lite (it's available from Amazon) and it worked very neatly on a mug, bottle, and flask that I'd made.

When i was at the SCA Great Western War, I talked to a leather crafter there who'd been making leather jacks and the like for years, and he said he'd always used Enviro-Tex Lite, and that it had kept a mug he's used for 10 years or so waterproof and, as far as he can tell, safe for use.

So...I'm convinced!