olroper99

Will James Or Modified Association Trees...what's The Difference?

Trying to figure out which tree I want Rod to build me...

I have looked at a lot of saddles online and really can't tell the difference.

I want something with some undercut in the swell to help keep my ol' butt in the pocket if a colt gets snuffy on me but want a good using rig for all day stuff amd to be able to rope a steer out of now and again.

You makers who build saddles must know the difference?

Thanks!

Russ

Russ,

I like a Will James it seems to have a more of an undercut than most modified assoc. The swells are a little lower profile than a m.a. too. I like that. I'm sure it will vary according to your treemaker. I ride one with 14 inch swells and you can sure get your legs under there. It still has spur tracks across the seat though, but that says more about my bronc riding ability than the tree.:)

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will chime in.

CW

Russ........if you like undercut on the swells, then I would suggest a Will James or Tuscon front. A Black Hawk style front is real good too...................used to be the style of swell to have on the southern plains, and is making a comeback again. I build mostly swell fork saddles...........quite a few heavy Buster Welch, and OYs......but my personal preference is a Will James 14" wide, and that is what I ride generally. JW

Russ........if you like undercut on the swells, then I would suggest a Will James or Tuscon front. A Black Hawk style front is real good too...................used to be the style of swell to have on the southern plains, and is making a comeback again. I build mostly swell fork saddles...........quite a few heavy Buster Welch, and OYs......but my personal preference is a Will James 14" wide, and that is what I ride generally. JW

Thanks CW and JW! That's what I am looking for alright.

I found a saddle I really like here...hmmm...maybe JW made it? Can't remember...

Years ago I had an old Association I liked for snuffy colts(when I was young and full of hi test) but the swells were pretty high and put the horn too high for dallyin on anything heavy. Sure liked it for when the goin got rough tho. I'm getting too old to be hittin the ground hard anymore...lol!

post-13316-087592300 1285420467_thumb.jp

Thanks CW and JW! That's what I am looking for alright.

I found a saddle I really like here...hmmm...maybe JW made it? Can't remember...

Years ago I had an old Association I liked for snuffy colts(when I was young and full of hi test) but the swells were pretty high and put the horn too high for dallyin on anything heavy. Sure liked it for when the goin got rough tho. I'm getting too old to be hittin the ground hard anymore...lol!

Russ,When you deside on what tree your going with you can get the leg cut you want.I have made some on a bowman tree that had 13 1/2 swells that were good to rope off of and still had enough front to ride a pretty tough horse in.a 14 " swell with a 1" leg cut is plenty.With Rod making the tree you can do a lot with it.

Steve

Russ,When you deside on what tree your going with you can get the leg cut you want.I have made some on a bowman tree that had 13 1/2 swells that were good to rope off of and still had enough front to ride a pretty tough horse in.a 14 " swell with a 1" leg cut is plenty.With Rod making the tree you can do a lot with it.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I'm getting it figured out ...guessin a phone call to Rod soon will settle it!

Thanks again guys!

Russ Brewer

Miller,

The Will James they are refering to is a style of swell fork tree names after the Will James who wrote "Smokey the cowhorse," and a bunch of other books. He cowboyed for a lot of years, and I don't know if he actually designed the tree style, but I would say he deserved having one named after him. As far as a web site, if you snoop around on leatherworker.net, I think you could find a lot of pics of a will james, and probably better information on them than what I can offer.

Reid G.

I'm curious what did you decide on?