Johanna

A Message from Billy 2-shews

Bill Stockil (aka Billy 2-shews) joined the forum this weekend, and you wonderful people immediately flooded him with hellos and questions via PM. He appreciates all the mail, but asked me to tell you folks what's going on with him, as answering all the mail is rather overwhelming to him at this time.

Billy had a series of cerebral strokes that have left the right side of his body paralyzed and he is now blind in one eye. He hung up "The Assassin" (Billy's famous carpenters hammer) and has been recuperating in Europe, near the home of one of his sons.

He said he is enjoying looking at all the projects and pieces on the board, and reading the posts, but that it's difficult and time-consuming to type responses. I offered to do that part for him, and he accepted. So- if you want to ask him a question or send fan mail, post it here or send it to 2shews@leatherworker.net and he'll read it. You'll get an answer from Billy through my email or PM, but expect to wait a bit, as not all days are optimum for him to respond.

He asked me to tell you all how much it means to know that so many people care, and to thank you all for your good wishes. Your messages of concern and friendship are warmly received. Billy is glad to have so many understanding and caring friends.

Here is a treat:

http://marycombes.com/index.html

Billy's wife, Mary, is an amazing watercolor artist. Her son-in-law did this site to display some of her work. Click the link and be prepared to have your socks knocked off.

Thanks everybody for welcoming Billy back. We've all missed him, and I'm glad he's going to be checking in with us as his time and his health permits.

Johanna

Johanna,

There are probably some people here that don't know Billy and haven't seen his work. Any chance you could post some pictures of the masterpieces his tools sacrificed their lives for while he was beating them to death with "the assasin"??

Hi Billy :wavey: It's great to have you here!!!

I'm so glad to hear good news about Billy. I've admired his work ever since first seeing it and being amazed!

ArtS

Thanks for putting those pictures up Johanna. There are some there that I don't even remember seeing before. It would be so hard to pick a favorite, but I think it might have to be one of the big cats (cuz if I said Emma, well that might get me in trouble).

Ben just uploaded a bunch of pics of Billy's that he saved, so I guess I'll be redoing the gallery. That one I put up today is just left over from the site he used to have, and we never quite finished it.

ArtS- PM me your snail mail addy.

Johanna

Hey Billy, glad to know that you are back. I/we/everybody who has ever seen your work are grateful that you're here. You will be much in our prayers. Take care of yourself, an if there is ever anything we can do just let us know. Billy P

Johanna,

There are probably some people here that don't know Billy and haven't seen his work. Any chance you could post some pictures of the masterpieces his tools sacrificed their lives for while he was beating them to death with "the assasin"??

I am the very proud owner of this carving by Bill Stockill. It was a gift from him when we left South Africa to move to the USA.

billy001.jpg

post-6312-1210115623_thumb.jpg

Mr Billy 2 Shews and Ms MaryCombs,you are both so talented. Words alone aren't enough. Thank you both for sharing.

Sincerely Stephanie

I am the very proud owner of this carving by Bill Stockill. It was a gift from him when we left South Africa to move to the USA.

What a wonderful gift. I'd be proud of owning a piece of Billy's work too. Maybe someday.....

What a wonderful gift. I'd be proud of owning a piece of Billy's work too. Maybe someday.....

Here are a few pictures of the finished projects and students of the 2-shews photo transfer class given at Standing Bear's 4-25 & 4-27-2008

Click on them to view a larger image:

th_2Shew2008ClassProjects1.jpg

th_2Shew2008ClassProjects2.jpg

th_2Shew2008ClassProjects3.jpg

th_2ShewsClass_GroupPicture1.jpg

th_2ShewsClass_GroupPicture4.jpg

Thank you again to everyone that attended this class!

Is it possible to purchase 2-Shews training videos? I've been unable to attend seminars or guild meetings and would love to learn this technique. I have printed a .pdf of the lesson that I found online, but would love to see it being done so I understand better.

Thanks very much.

Is it possible to purchase 2-Shews training videos? I've been unable to attend seminars or guild meetings and would love to learn this technique. I have printed a .pdf of the lesson that I found online, but would love to see it being done so I understand better.

Thanks very much.

I bot mine from Hidecrafter, not sure if they still have it now.

It was 2-Shews who introduced me to the world of 'leather' friends.

Thank you Billy!

Last week was kind of like Christmas all over again here in ND. I got a very large package in the mail one day and the return address said "Billy 2-Shews c/o Wade and Johanna Schroer". Now I'm not very easily excitable, but I was pretty excited seeing this. Inside the box was a beautiful leather horse portrait done by Billy!! This is the first piece of Billy's work I have ever seen up close, and it is sure fun to study it. This piece is going to find a very special place on one of my walls. Thanks so much Billy for thinking of me!! And thanks Johanna for your part in this. A thank you doesn't seem like nearly enough for a gift like this, but I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Clay B

wololies_012__Large_.jpg

post-12-1232416574_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in Billy's DVD download, click here.

Clay- I'll be sure to tell Billy you liked it. :)

Johanna

Billy's work is certainly great and as many have said this procedure was different than what we normally think of when doing leather work. I can certainly attest to the generosity of Billy as well. I helped him with various discussions/negotiations with Hidecrafters and discussions about format (PAL vs NTSC) and he was kind enough to send me a signed copy of his DVD.

I was saddened to hear of his issues with royalties and his illness. However on the positive side Johanna stepped up and has graciously made this available again. Billy and Mary are most likely greatly appreciative as well.

Regards,

Ben

Probably a dumb question, but is the horse really leather? It looks real enough to be a photograph.

Yep, it's leather. Ink on leather. I'm gonna let someone else explain it. Billy does more than that technique, though, he is an excellent carver. He stumbled into a Hobby Lobby on his first trip to the US in 1995 for the IFoLG show, which was my first one, too. Billy won a slew of awards that Saturday night for his carving. The ink technique didn't come about until after he got the fabric transfer back home to South Africa and played with it. Then he made the video. The video explains everything, and you get a glimpse into the 2shews way of doing things.

Johanna

Everything about that piece is gorgeous!

Denise,

Billy also did carving as well. In fact I sent him lots of examples of Sheridan style carvings. He did some of the carvings and then also incorporated some into the Sheridan Woman as a background. In a nutshell, laser toner ink from a color copier (photo or any artwork) is transferred to the leather with the aid of contact adhesive. After a short period of time the paper is rubbed off of the leather. Embossing plugs are added to the back in the normal manner. One major note to remember is that Billy doesn't use water. He bevels and tools dry on the transferred design with this technique. He does use colored pens and such for the edges. He also cuts around portions and lifts up portion as appropriate to the design.

There is a lot more detail on the DVD including brand of contact adhesive, etc but that's it in a nutshell.

Regards,

Ben

Wow. Totally unique methods ("who'd a thunk it" type of response) and what an incredible result. Sounds like the DVD is worth it!

Finally got around to getting the video and watched it this evening and must say that is really interesting and worth the money. I must say it opened up many new avenues to leather working.

I assume this is the only video but if there are any more available does anyone know? Thanks.

I don't know what happen, but back when this thread started, I was never able to get the link to work. I read all of the responses on here and it sounds like the man is awesome. I was glad to help him in his time of need.

I heard from Billy's daughter today and Billy finally made it to London!! :)

She asked me where she can get some leather in the UK for her son and dad to play with. HELP! UKRay, Badger- someone- tell me where to send her, please! I don't think Billy is going to tool, but who knows what he might teach her boy? I think I'll send the kid a real rawhide mallet- or we'll be hearing that metal hammer clanging clear over here!

Johanna