awharness

Silver Turning Black

A client and friend of mine bought a high end show saddle and paid not one but two pretty pennies for it two years ago. The saddle was used very very lightly at probably 10 shows. He called me to let me know that the silver turned black, and it won't polish, its almost like the plating came off the saddle. I work pretty much in strap goods and harnesses and have no idea about silver. Is this normal? is this something that happens? are there differnt levels of plating? In your eyes should the maker stand behind this? The maker also made the silver

Thanks again guys!

-Andrew

A high end show saddle that cost some $$$$ should not have plated silver on it. It should be solid or overlay, especially if the saddlemaker did the silverwork too. Sterling can tarnish black, but should polish back. That said, there are some pretty high dollar catalog show saddles that have plated silver and are charging overlay prices or better. There sure are different qualities of plating too. The base metal plated over varies too. The maker needs to see this.

Who is the maker and what is the saddle? Can you post a pic? This info will help give you an accurate diagnosis. Sterling silver can tarnish very deeply! It can, however, be cleaned to a new shine. There are many ways to do this and they depend heavily on the saddle.

Keith

Its a Moran Saddlery Saddle made by Ruban Moran in OK, I do not have pictures, it was sent back to the rep for the maker. Bruce I think nailed it on the head, its just sliver plate... even thought the customer paid a pretty penny!

-Andrew

Who is the maker and what is the saddle? Can you post a pic? This info will help give you an accurate diagnosis. Sterling silver can tarnish very deeply! It can, however, be cleaned to a new shine. There are many ways to do this and they depend heavily on the saddle.

Keith