Hidemechanic

Broke A Needle, Now Breaking Thread

I realize the 415 probably isn't a leather machine, but at this time I am not sewing leather, (gotta make a buck). I'm sewing for someone on their machine and the thing broke a needle and now I can't get it to sew right.

At first after replacing the needle I could sew okay in forward but reverse would break the top thread. It was also clicking so I straitened the plate so the feed dog was clearing it again. Clicking went away. I had a lot of straight work to do and was able to get it done but when I went back to doing work that required back tacking things went south.

I'm not sure the needle size is right, the replacement looks bigger than the one I was using. Needle sizes drive me knutts anyway but that's another topic.

Is there anything else I can look for to see if something got misaligned when the needle broke?

Needle bar adj? other timing?

Smaller needle?

The repair guy wont be able to come around til next week and we have a lot of work to get done before that.(deadlines)

If someone would help me troubleshoot this problem I would be grateful.

GH

Edited by Hidemechanic

Perhaps the broken end of the needle fell into the bobbin shuttle assembly. Open it up and poke around with a magnetic pickup tool. This happens more than you'd think.

Perhaps the broken end of the needle fell into the bobbin shuttle assembly. Open it up and poke around with a magnetic pickup tool. This happens more than you'd think.

That would be one of those obvious things one overlooks if it is(I hope). The kind we like.

Would I totally mess up the timing if I removed the shuttle to get a good look at it?

Thanks

That would be one of those obvious things one overlooks if it is(I hope). The kind we like.

Would I totally mess up the timing if I removed the shuttle to get a good look at it?

Thanks

Use a fine point felt tip marker to mark the alignment as it sits, before you unscrew the screws hold the shuttle onto the shaft. Mating arrows usually do the trick. You may have to fine tune the timing afterward, but at least you'll be in the ballpark. It's a sewing machine, not a space shuttle. Either the pickup point passes the eye of the needle on the upstroke, or is too late or too early. The pickup point is usually set to cross the indent about 1/16" - 3/32" above the eye (depending on type of machine and needle size), as the needle begins its ascent. Not rocket science.

A broken needle in the shuttle may eventually cause burrs to form on the moving parts. BAD.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Okay, that's good info.

Now for the embarrassing part. Big surprise, right? I put the needle in 180 out. The gal that owns it noticed and turned it and was sewing on it when i got the to look it over.

Well another lesson learned, don't over look the simple stuff.

Really appreciate you responding Wiz.

GH (head down) 8P

Edited by Hidemechanic