Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

New Mask

I havent made a mask in a while, so i thought i would make a small girly mask. Made from 1.5mm veg tanned leather, airbrushed with acrylics. It started out as a full faced mask but when i was cutting out the eye holes, the scalpel slipped....so i had to cut away that section and decided to go with a two piece creation. Modelled by my daughter.

cheers

caroline

post-4514-068592900 1286010591_thumb.jpgpost-4514-027723300 1286010604_thumb.jpg

Nice stuff and very unique to your style. I have got a question regarding the airbrushing process. What do you use to seal the leather prior to the application of the acrylics? Oh and another. How watered down is the acrylics or is it a specific type? The reason I ask is I only just started applying acrylics to my pieces and have found that it draws out the tannins staining the acrylic.

Cheers.

Hi Desib, i have never had the problem of tannins leaching out of the leather. However, to make and mold a mask, the leather is first soaked in warm water for about 30 seconds and the water ends up a brown color. After molding and drying i then airbrush without any sealers. I used to water down the acrylics, but i found the color was a bit washed out. I have just started to dilute with spirits (metho)and find this works well. However when you mix with spirits there is some sludge at the bottom so i only use the liquid that sits at the top otherwise the airbrush blocks up. How much to dilute will be a bit of trial and error depending on what airbrush you have.

I use Jo Sonja's acrylics....great colors and a very good price...the cheapest price i have found is from Spotlight. Lumiere is also very good, but very expensive but they have some beautiful pearlescents and metalics.

Cheers