Traveller

Ideal Cinch Length

Hi everybody,

Goldpony's post got me thinking about how long/short a cinch should be. I've heard people say that the cinch should be short and the off-billet/latigo long, but goldpony's thread had me thinking that it might be the other way 'round.

So how long do you folks think the cinch should be? And if you could post photos of what you believe to be the ideal balance of cinch length to latigo length (assuming the latigo and off-billet are equally balanced), that'd be just great.

Thanks!

Joanne

Hi everybody,

Goldpony's post got me thinking about how long/short a cinch should be. I've heard people say that the cinch should be short and the off-billet/latigo long, but goldpony's thread had me thinking that it might be the other way 'round.

So how long do you folks think the cinch should be? And if you could post photos of what you believe to be the ideal balance of cinch length to latigo length (assuming the latigo and off-billet are equally balanced), that'd be just great.

Thanks!

Joanne

Joanne,I ride several horses with 1 saddle,most of the time I like a 28" cinch.My riggings drop down about 6 1/2 " of the bars.I keep a 26 and 30" for different sized horses.Good post.

Steve

post-11588-058097300 1286325759_thumb.jp

Joanne,I ride several horses with 1 saddle,most of the time I like a 28" cinch.My riggings drop down about 6 1/2 " of the bars.

Are you using a 28" cinch on smaller horses, or small-barreled horses? Or do you find that works for most average horses?

Thanks, Steve.

Are you using a 28" cinch on smaller horses, or small-barreled horses? Or do you find that works for most average horses?

Thanks, Steve.

Joanne ,I use a 28 on most horses.On bigger barreled I will use a 30

Steve

Joanne, I would suppose it depends on where you are from to some extent. Most cowboys around my area use from 32" to 36" cinchas. They all say to get proper cinch length, measure your horse around the withers and barrel, then divide the distance in half and deduct 4 inches, the remaining measurement is the length your cinch should be. Most horses will measure between 77" to 85" around. So if a horse measures 78" you divide that in half and that would be 39", then deduct 4" and that would leave 35" for the proper cinch length. Since most cinchas come in even lengths, then a 34" or 36" cinch would work. Personally I prefer the longer instead of shorter cinch!

Joanne, I would suppose it depends on where you are from to some extent. Most cowboys around my area use from 32" to 36" cinchas. They all say to get proper cinch length, measure your horse around the withers and barrel, then divide the distance in half and deduct 4 inches, the remaining measurement is the length your cinch should be. Most horses will measure between 77" to 85" around. So if a horse measures 78" you divide that in half and that would be 39", then deduct 4" and that would leave 35" for the proper cinch length. Since most cinchas come in even lengths, then a 34" or 36" cinch would work. Personally I prefer the longer instead of shorter cinch!

That is an interesting way of measuring a cinch length,alot depends on how low your rigging set on your saddle.I ride a lot of pretty good sized horses and have never used that long of cinch,I could see it if your using a Dee ring rigging.On my horses there would be nothing to take up the slack,cinch would be from rigging to rigging ring.

Steve

For me a 34" or 36" cinch is pretty darned big. I ride descent sized head horses and usually use a 30" cinch. I don't want my cinch ring to ride too high because I think my saddle stays in the proper position better when I have a good 8" between my dee ring and my cinch ring. That usually keeps the cinch ring out of the way where it doesn't rub, also. I had a 16-2, 1350 lb head horse that I used 32" and 34" cinches on.....a 36" cinch was too long. Additionally I use a full cinch on the off side. I just think it's easier for me to keep the cinch centered which is important to me because I use a Roper cinch and a tie down when in the arena.

Bobby

Like Steve, my riggins are typically 6 1/2" below the bar, and I usually use a 32" cinch. Occasionally on small colts, I might use a 30". A 32" usually works well for my saddle customers also. Could be we are riding stouter made, sure nuff Quarter Hosses, that might be 14.3 or 15 hands tall............but most of it is heart girth. JW

I usually use a 30 or 32, but my horses eat for a living rather than work for a living. I prefer a latigo on both sides too. A wise old man told me you want to have the width of about two hands and two thumbs separating the ring and rig. I still lay my hands on one. I just had to measure my hands and it is a 9-1/4" gap.

I've riden a mess of different horses over the past 50-60 years and still keep up half a dozen qtr types. All my horses are and have been workin horses. I find

a 32" cinch pretty near fits most horses I use it on. Once in awile I might go to a 34".

I usually use a 30 or 32, but my horses eat for a living rather than work for a living. I prefer a latigo on both sides too. A wise old man told me you want to have the width of about two hands and two thumbs separating the ring and rig. I still lay my hands on one. I just had to measure my hands and it is a 9-1/4" gap.

Like your's, my horses eat for a living also, seems like I just don't get the time to ride like I would like. Attached is a picture of Duke, the cinch on this saddle is a 36", and the gap between the cinch ring and D on both sides is 7". That means if I drop to a 32" it would increase the gap to 9". Guess our horses do about the same "work!" :lol:

Bob

post-8161-072467700 1286716570_thumb.jpg

Thanks, everybody. Very informative.

Now get on that horse and ride, Bob, or I'll take him off your hands, saddle an' all. (Thanks for the pic, too - nothing like a photo to illustrate a point.)

Joanne