Johanna

Courtesy Pk Bootmaker, Aka Paul Krause

Reesizing a pair of boots is another one of those things to which there is more to it than meets the eye.

First off, not any boot could be resized. I have big doubts about many boots, generally made in the last ten-fifteen years, that they would survive the procedure. A boot that could stand this level of breakdown and reassembly would have to be made in such as fashion as to worth it, dollar-wise first of all, and quality-wise second.

The boot I have used to present this procedure, is worth it on both of those levels, as well as, for this young lady, sentimentally.

The customers, father had passed after her sisters wedding but before her own. Dad would not be there to walk her down the aisle. You can imagine the emotions.

She inherited his Horn back Alligator Nocona boots, but they were just too big, and she wanted him there with her at the time of her wedding. So she called me from OK..

I had sold and repaired a few pairs of White's Smokejumper boots for her fiancee, working as a Wildland Firefighter here in Prescott AZ. over the last couple of years. And now she was asking if the Nocona's could be resized. I told her maybe, but she might be able to find someone closer back there, and I gave her some names. Well none were willing to take it on. Call me a sucker, but that's about all it takes to get me on board ie. doing something that others can't or won't.

So here is a presentation, not a "How to", but rather my "how I".

Paul

Horn Back Alligator Resize.pdf

Thank you for posting this Johanna.

Also Thank you Paul for taking the extra time for the presentation. I really enjoyed seeing what it takes to do this process. Very interesting to me.

I have never made boots or even repaired any, but it is very intriguing to me.

Thanks, Johanna, . . . thanks again, Paul, . . . seeing that was a great way to start my day.

Oh, and yes, . . . I'd love to see more things like this. Just never know what you might learn.

May God bless,

Dwight

Johanna,

Thank you for your help in getting this up on the board. It was getting a little frusrtrating. You're wonderful.

I realize this ought to be over in the section with footwear and such, but my impulse was to put it here for a bit. Moving it later is fine with me.

I'm pleased that a dozen or so folks have viewed it overnight, this is an area of leather work most people are not exposed to. I hope someone will be interested to learn more.

I am interested to teach this coming year, not just boot repair, which is where I think it ought to begin, but boot making too. It will be several months before I'm in the position to follow through with that plan though.

Casey,

Thank you for your comments. I hope others will let me know what value they see it such presentaions. I think I'd like to do more.

Paul

Thank you for posting this. I really enjoy seeing the work that goes into cowboy boots. :cowboy:

Johanna,

Thank you for your help in getting this up on the board. It was getting a little frusrtrating. You're wonderful.

I realize this ought to be over in the section with footwear and such, but my impulse was to put it here for a bit. Moving it later is fine with me.

I'm pleased that a dozen or so folks have viewed it overnight, this is an area of leather work most people are not exposed to. I hope someone will be interested to learn more.

I am interested to teach this coming year, not just boot repair, which is where I think it ought to begin, but boot making too. It will be several months before I'm in the position to follow through with that plan though.

Casey,

Thank you for your comments. I hope others will let me know what value they see it such presentaions. I think I'd like to do more.

Paul

Paul, I would love to see more like this! Any chance to learn from more experienced makers is such a blessing!

Thank you!

Rik