rgerbitz

Durkopp Cl 17-1-1 Antique Leather Sewing-Patching Machine

This machine is for sale for $200 near me. I am wondering wether or not it would work for sewing leather for bridles, breast collars, and such.

Thank you,

Rob

Hello Rob!

Do you have a picture of it?

Trox

This machine is for sale for $200 near me. I am wondering wether or not it would work for sewing leather for bridles, breast collars, and such.

Thank you,

Rob

This is from Durkopp Adler List over sewingmachine classes

Durkopp class 16-1 :

Universal-elastic sewing machine for shoe repairs

Cylinder, 330 and 380 mm, with the smallest cylinder head

CLASS 17-1-1:

E sewing machine for shoemakers, heart-shaped curve for the

Needle bar drive, otherwise similar in construction to the class 16-1,

Cylinder length 380 mm, small head

This seems like a shoepatcher with the smallest shuttle and is for shoe repair light work. I do not think this is the machine you need for that work. You should ask Bob Kovar (sewmun) about this machine he knows. But I think it is not possible to get parts for it, something about a factory bombed during the ww2. I dont know, but ask Sewmun (Bob Kovar knows) And he also sell used machines.

If you want to by a shoe patcher buy a Singer 29K or a Adler class 30 with a big bobbin for about the same price. You can still buy all the part you need for them. And you need spare parts for old sewingmachines!

Ask sewmun or you may find some info in the forum about this machine to.

Hope this was a little help.

Trox

quote name='rgerbitz' timestamp='1286666165' post='170012']

Thank you,

Rob

If you search the sewingmachine forum for "durkopp" you will find it. I just did and It is the one that you can not get parts for: The price is to high! dont buy it!

Trox

Thank you,

Rob

Thank you for your time Trox

If you search the sewingmachine forum for "durkopp" you will find it. I just did and It is the one that you can not get parts for: The price is to high! dont buy it!

Trox

I bought 2 of those ancient machines back in 1976. One to use and one for parts. Other than the tiny bobbin I truly loved using that old thing. It was a real class piece of equipment. As you have been told you just can't buy parts, period. They told me back then that all of the dies and tooling were destroyed in the bombings and they did not try to set back up for them. I just kept my eyes open for a couple of used Singer 29K's that I could afford then and finally retired the old friend after about 8 years or so. All I could get for it was needles, bobbins (just the spool).

I bought 2 of those ancient machines back in 1976. One to use and one for parts. Other than the tiny bobbin I truly loved using that old thing. It was a real class piece of equipment. As you have been told you just can't buy parts, period. They told me back then that all of the dies and tooling were destroyed in the bombings and they did not try to set back up for them. I just kept my eyes open for a couple of used Singer 29K's that I could afford then and finally retired the old friend after about 8 years or so. All I could get for it was needles, bobbins (just the spool).

Hello! Where can one get the needles for the CL 17-1-1? I have one that all the parts seem to work great on, but I have not been able to figure out where to get the needles from! I got ahold of Adler, and they said there were no records of what kind of needle they were. I do have the one that came with machine, but it does not have any numbers or anything on it. Thank you for your time!

Welcome to the forum, Mill Iron !!

According to the instruction book (which you can see here: http://altenaehmaschine.com/online/templatemedia/all_lang/resources/Duerkopp+Cl+17+-+User+Manual.pdf ) your machine used a "System 88" needle. I don't know what size that would equate to with modern needles; it's the old German neddle numbering system.

Your best bet is to give Campbell-Randall in TX (www.campbell-randall.com) a call. Take exact measurements of your old needle; length, diameter, ... and tell them what machine it is. Also, take a magnifying glass and look on the barrel (the thicker part of the needle), there might be some really faint numbers stamped in.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago with my Cl. 18 and (after talking to one of the most friendly customer service reps I've ever dealt with) was able to buy a dozen packs of old German-made needles from Campbell-Randall. They also sell thread in all different sizes and can get you going again!

If you want to get your machine running like new again, take her apart and use some acetone and/or kerosene to clean all the accumulated dirt and old oil out, lube her with a good sewing machine oil and put everything back together - that's what I did and mine is working great again. There's some pics in the "Leather History" section under "Duerkopp Patcher".

Good Luck with your search!

Black Dogg

Welcome to the forum, Mill Iron !!

According to the instruction book (which you can see here: http://altenaehmaschine.com/online/templatemedia/all_lang/resources/Duerkopp+Cl+17+-+User+Manual.pdf ) your machine used a "System 88" needle. I don't know what size that would equate to with modern needles; it's the old German neddle numbering system.

Your best bet is to give Campbell-Randall in TX (www.campbell-randall.com) a call. Take exact measurements of your old needle; length, diameter, ... and tell them what machine it is. Also, take a magnifying glass and look on the barrel (the thicker part of the needle), there might be some really faint numbers stamped in.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago with my Cl. 18 and (after talking to one of the most friendly customer service reps I've ever dealt with) was able to buy a dozen packs of old German-made needles from Campbell-Randall. They also sell thread in all different sizes and can get you going again!

If you want to get your machine running like new again, take her apart and use some acetone and/or kerosene to clean all the accumulated dirt and old oil out, lube her with a good sewing machine oil and put everything back together - that's what I did and mine is working great again. There's some pics in the "Leather History" section under "Duerkopp Patcher".

Good Luck with your search!

Black Dogg

Thank you Black Dogg! appreciate your help very much! I will give them a call and see what we can come up with. I am very excited about getting it up and running, but have been trying to find needles for it for so long, I had almost ran out of hope! till I found this post! Thanks again!! Mill Iron J

I found one for around $200 too, same answer...

walk away...??

Looks very clean from the pictures, but the guy has no clue about machine, got it on a bulk state sale and is like 100miles away from me to just go and test it..

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 10:57 AM, Evo160K said:

Great information! Really helpful.

Thank you Jimi.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:46 PM, Trox said:

Hi, like I said before Singer was the one doing the copying, not Adler.

Tor

there are all kind of parts for 29ks eby collage parts

On 10/13/2011 at 8:50 PM, Indiana Robinson said:

Hello Where can I get the Bobbin's at for the Durkopp  the very small one's they are 16.20 mm dia. x 6.40 thick x 3.20mm hole?????????

On 23. 6. 2018 at 3:48 PM, 55915891 said:

Hello Where can I get the Bobbin's at for the Durkopp  the very small one's they are 16.20 mm dia. x 6.40 thick x 3.20mm hole?????????

i'm trying to find bobbins as well, but with no luck so far.
Also, did anyone try to fit Singer 29k small bobbin case into durkopp cl 17-1-1? It look like it have similar dimensions.

Hello, Meznik : it sure is a small bobbin,just got this machine and have been cleaning it up, when I was young this machine was at a friends home,and always told him I wanted it ,now 55 years later it come's to me.take's a little getting use to but got it stitching like a big dog.found an other one on line for parts.earlier model but so far the parts match. got the bobbin from it. will try that Singer 29k just to see if it is dementioned properly  . the shaft on the bobbin holder is 3.11mm,and the holds on the bobbin is 3.20mm. that is how much of a gap there is. not much ,but lets the thred move along just fine.If you come across more than you need please let me know.intrested in purching a few,or know where to get some.remember in the bottom of the bobbin holder there is a screen of some sort that holds a drop or 2 of oil.makes the bobbin work 100 times better.GET STICHING MON AMY.Regard David

Ahoj Meznik, Yes the small 29 bobbin case can be made to work BUT it takes a lot of grinding to get it small enough to fit.

Working on them as we speak.you must close the center hole first . Then drill center hole,then size to the od of bobbin.then drill catch hole. x 10 bobbins

ok.. so i ordered singer 29k bobbin case and modified it to work with my cl 17. With some power tools it took me about 20 mins. You just have to grind out red parts on picture. Working well.

s-l300.jpg

Ok I picked up some 29k bobbins and had to make them fit on the first 10 ,then I order 20 more and they fit in the holder perfect ,as for as the od is concerned, now the center of the bobbin holder had to make a bushing to adapt .not that hard,but really don't need the bushing there, but on the bobbin thread re loader one is needed.  Also had to drill a hole on the bobbin to hold on the winder as it winds thread to refill the bobbin.love the old machine. also it holds just a little more thread not much but every little helps. ever since I put a certain lube on the machine this machine went from a well oiled to a VERY smooth running machine.   

@Black Dogg sadly the manual isn't available anymore. Do you, by any chance have it saved somewhere? I got a working machine as a gift, but after changing the thread it starts to cluster in the box for the under thread.