Laurie

1883 Mystery Box

This is the box that was in the treadle desk I bought sight unseen a month ago. Pretty neat. I call it a Mystery Box cause thats what a lady on another site called hers, dont know if thats its proper name but it works for me. Ill get the tape marks off eventually, and it was scratched on the trip to me. I paid 5 bucks for this box!! With all the shown attachments in the box. oh, some of the picts are sideways, my bad. :smashcomp:

post-16997-081283000 1286745256_thumb.jp

post-16997-055980500 1286745279_thumb.jp

post-16997-045253200 1286745296_thumb.jp

post-16997-062367400 1286745311_thumb.jp

What the heck is that thing???

Looks like you have some sewing machine attachments. They are similar to some of the ones that I have for my Mom's old Singer. The one series of items I believe are for attaching different width piping ( not sue if that is the correct term) to the edges of fabric.

Looks like you have some sewing machine attachments. They are similar to some of the ones that I have for my Mom's old Singer. The one series of items I believe are for attaching different width piping ( not sue if that is the correct term) to the edges of fabric.

:16:

Yep, it looks like you have some accessories for an older sewing machine. It may be newer than 1883..The date of 1883 refers to the date the accessories were patented. They could have been in production for many years after that date.

yep, lots of piping attatchments in there :) a few intricate depth gauges too. not familiar with the depth keepers but will keep notes as I figure them out

What the heck is that thing???

its a velvet lined wooden box with hidden hinges, it opens and unfolds as the pictures show. pretty neat huh? i'll get better picts up soon. it holds a bunch of sewing attatchments, likely more for the housewife making her family's clothing or the quilter. i just got it a month ago, so i'm still looking into it.

Yep, it looks like you have some accessories for an older sewing machine. It may be newer than 1883..The date of 1883 refers to the date the accessories were patented. They could have been in production for many years after that date.

I dont doubt the parts are newer than that. the box has the stamped date is all. the piping attachments are all Singer, embossed with the old original singer 'S' emblem and the name singer across the big 'S'. I was more interested in the box itself really. not trying to lay claim that all in it is 1883.

I dont doubt the parts are newer than that. the box has the stamped date is all. the piping attachments are all Singer, embossed with the old original singer 'S' emblem and the name singer across the big 'S'. I was more interested in the box itself really. not trying to lay claim that all in it is 1883.

Hi Laurie

It is indeed the accessory Box for the old Singers Sewing Machines. I have had a number over the years usually when the Machine was used for Tailoring. My Mum told me she got hers in 1939 with a 31 K 20 for making Trousers and Overcoats. She was a Pro Seamstress. Used them for Binding, edging and the like. I think they were like an upmarket addition to make the Sale more attractive, like we do to-day with accessories.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

the box is neat. I've never seen one that rolls open like that. (but then i've not been around many old singers either) it's a very interesting design, how does the latch work?

ken

The "S" stands for Simanco. This I believe is around 1920, very nice attachments for the home machine.

Among the Old Sewing Machine folk, it's common name is a Puzzle Box - sue to the way it unfolds. You got a VERY good buy on that, usually if they are complete, and the attachments inside are bright and clean as yours look to be, they go for a good bit more than five bucks. You can check into the Treadleon group (fun bunch of people who USE their antique machines) or try to find out through the Needlebar site - I haven't had any luck there in years, but a newbie might.

Lovely piece, enjoy it!