UKRay

Cutting, Drilling And Polishing Antler And Bone

Okay guys, somebody must have cut, drilled and polished antler and bone here. I need to make some chunky antler and bone beads and would very much appreciate any advice you may care to share on the best way to do it. Can anyone help please?

What machines to use, polishing techniques, compounds, whatever you can share would be great.

Thanks,

Ray

Okay guys, somebody must have cut, drilled and polished antler and bone here. I need to make some chunky antler and bone beads and would appreciate any advice you may care to share on the best way to do it. Can anyone help please?

What machines to use, polishing techniques, compounds, whatever you can share.

Thanks,

Ray

I've used some deer antler for a button on a set of saddle bags. I use a hack saw to cut the antler into pieces. Then i used my dremal tool to cut a slot in the middle of the button. Fair warning went you cut the antler it stinks to high heaven. I would recomend doing all the cutting outside unless you want your shop or house stinking for a couple of days.

Okay guys, somebody must have cut, drilled and polished antler and bone here. I need to make some chunky antler and bone beads and would very much appreciate any advice you may care to share on the best way to do it. Can anyone help please?

What machines to use, polishing techniques, compounds, whatever you can share would be great.

Thanks,

Ray

Hey Ray,

Actually standard woodworking tools (saws, dril bits, lathes, sand paper, etc.) all work fine on antler. It's less dense than most exotic hardwoods and cuts, sands and polishes rather easily. Just attack it like you would any piece of good solid wood and you'll be fine. if the antler in question is too porous or feels "crumbly" on the inside due to being too dried out, you can stabilize it with CA Glue (super glue). Just make sure to coat the entire bead as the glue will cause slight discoloration.

One thing to note, freshly cut antler smells like crap. Literally. Actually, it smells like crap that has been sprayed by a skunk and then dipped in a sewer. In other words, work in a well ventilated area and clean up the dust when you're finished otherwise it will linger.

Chris

Hate to tell you this Cousin....But you are taking on a lot of stuff if you want to Make Beads.

The Chinese do it quicker and cheaper.I am referring to round beads.........

But on the other hand if you have one of the minature lathes. you should be able to turn out some Hair Pipe beads,IF YOU HAVE SOME ANTLER THAT IS STRAIGHT .

GOOD LUCK..............I M H O

I've been told that there can be a nasty bacteria in antler also. It's a wise idea to wear a respirator or dust mask with sanding or grinding antler as well.

So, it stinks to high heaven and I'm probably going to die if I touch it... but the Chinese seem to have it sorted. Hmmmmmmm - Lots to think about LOL!

Thanks for the great advice, Spinner. that all makes good sense to me.

If anyone has anything to add to this, then I'd love to hear it.

Ray

Ray, I work with antler, horn and born several times a week as a knifemaker, and I probably have more machinery for that task than you do but it is still workable without all that.You will probably at least want to have a Dremel,as you can cut, drill, and polish with one.The Super Glue trick is a good one and works well.You'll want to sand your pieces down to at least 400 grit before polishing and I use a soft flannel wheel with white rouge to bring out the luster.

As far as shaping the beads,alot depends on the hole size.For drilling I would cut two pieces of 10 oz leather and use them as soft jaws for your vise then drill with a drill press or hand drill.If you can find a small enough screw and nut to fit the bead ,you can then chuck the screw in your drill press and hand file/sand the bead to shape, a sort of poorman's lathe.

It only smells bad to the newbies, you use it as I have for more than 20 years, its like perfume cause it means I am making money,lol.It does keep the wife out of my shop though.

Dave

Thanks Dave - most useful. I already have a belt sander, drill press, polishing machine and a few other goodies so I should be okay to go. I'm picking up a bandsaw this week so cutting won't be a problem either.

The 'soft jaw' vise trick is a great idea so thanks for that. I reckon I could get to like the smell too! LOL

Ray

Ray, I work with antler, horn and born several times a week as a knifemaker, and I probably have more machinery for that task than you do but it is still workable without all that.You will probably at least want to have a Dremel,as you can cut, drill, and polish with one.The Super Glue trick is a good one and works well.You'll want to sand your pieces down to at least 400 grit before polishing and I use a soft flannel wheel with white rouge to bring out the luster.

As far as shaping the beads,alot depends on the hole size.For drilling I would cut two pieces of 10 oz leather and use them as soft jaws for your vise then drill with a drill press or hand drill.If you can find a small enough screw and nut to fit the bead ,you can then chuck the screw in your drill press and hand file/sand the bead to shape, a sort of poorman's lathe.

It only smells bad to the newbies, you use it as I have for more than 20 years, its like perfume cause it means I am making money,lol.It does keep the wife out of my shop though.

Dave

I make pens from antler using regular woodworking tools and sand to a high number grit and i too use ca super glue as a finish on them

Edited by dscott