Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Design Artistry by F.O. Baird

Does anyone here have a copy of this book/pattern pack? I have two and the older one is packaged in an envelope. The envelope has a pattern on the back and one for the corners. This pattern was not put in the book that I have (big brown folder type of book).

I would like to know if anyone has carved this pattern. It is an eagle perched in floral latticework.

Mike

Mike, the big hard type covered book was Leather Secrets. I have it and another smaller paperback type book by Mr Baird, called Leather Art. The book you are asking about I don't have, but if I ever catch it on ebay or somewhere and the price is right and I have the money to spare I'm gonna get it too. If you think the Eagle scene is in the Leather Secrets book let me know and I'll go out to the shop and get it, and maybe I can scan it for you. If I can't scan it I'll take it out and when I go to town I'll have the girl at the office supply to print it on the Blue-Print copier and mail it to you. Let me know Billy P

Mike, the big hard type covered book was Leather Secrets. I have it and another smaller paperback type book by Mr Baird, called Leather Art. The book you are asking about I don't have, but if I ever catch it on ebay or somewhere and the price is right and I have the money to spare I'm gonna get it too. If you think the Eagle scene is in the Leather Secrets book let me know and I'll go out to the shop and get it, and maybe I can scan it for you. If I can't scan it I'll take it out and when I go to town I'll have the girl at the office supply to print it on the Blue-Print copier and mail it to you. Let me know Billy P

There were/are 2 hardbacks. The pattern I have is from an older copy of Design Artistry. This is part of it.

U_r_eagl_1024.JPG

post-5060-1200312830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike

Hey Mike, yep you are right, back in the early 70's when I first started trying to work with leather, Tandy sold the Leather Secrets and Design Artistry book both with a hard cover. Later it had a soft cover and then they discontinued it. My wife bought me the Leather Secrets book for Christmas of 81. She called my old buddy at Tandy in Columbia and got it as a supprise for me. if I can be of any help let me know. Kindest Regards Billy P

Hey Mike, yep you are right, back in the early 70's when I first started trying to work with leather, Tandy sold the Leather Secrets and Design Artistry book both with a hard cover. Later it had a soft cover and then they discontinued it. My wife bought me the Leather Secrets book for Christmas of 81. She called my old buddy at Tandy in Columbia and got it as a supprise for me. if I can be of any help let me know. Kindest Regards Billy P

I have both the older and newer copies of Design Artistry. I'm just curious if anyone has carved the eagle and floral pattern and if so, how did it turn out. I've been tempted several times but it is large and I have to tweak it somewhat. I've never seen a photo of this pattern carved.

Mike, Do you have a full copy of that image?

Yep, but it is in pieces. I do not know if I can legally post the whole thing.

Johanna? What say ye?

We need to refrain from posting copyrighted material that we don't have permission to use. Thanks guys for your understanding and cooperation.

Johanna

We need to refrain from posting copyrighted material that we don't have permission to use. Thanks guys for your understanding and cooperation.

Johanna

I agree Johanna. I do have a question that has probably been answered. How can we legally get patterns that are out-of-print. In this case, the book in question came in two forms, a hardback w/ removeable pages and a looseleaf contained in an envelope. Both have exactly the same ISBN numbers and dates. The pages are the same in both. However, the envelope has patterns on it that are not included on the hardback of the new version and are not included on a page. They only appear on the outer envelope. I do not know why they were not picked up with the new book format. (I thought the ISBN would be different, but it's not.) The last copyright was 1977 The Leathercraftsman.

Anyway, I like the patterns but will refrain from posting them. It's just too bad they seem lost. I'm sure that there are many other patterns in a similar situation.

Mike

Mike,

The Leather Craftsman was one of the former names of what is now the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. I think they have copyright on all the old magazines. Maybe they also printed copies of the book you are referring too? You might send an email off to the Journal and find out from them if they have that copyright and if they do, give you permission to make a copy.

Mike,

The Leather Craftsman was one of the former names of what is now the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. I think they have copyright on all the old magazines. Maybe they also printed copies of the book you are referring too? You might send an email off to the Journal and find out from them if they have that copyright and if they do, give you permission to make a copy.

Thanks, I will.

You might want to consider browsing the Free Pattern section of the Tandy Leather Factory Website. Although it may not be exactly what you are looking for, there are lots of free patterns in PDF format and one may have something that will fit the bill.

Oh well thanks anyway Mike. If you do find that you are able to post at least the bottom 1/4 let me know. I just realized why I liked it so much, I had taken a class from Paul Burnett on Victorian style carving and with the lesson that he sells you carve a pattern similar to yours. You might look at his lesson #1. I have used his pattern for an album cover and a bag flap and I really like the style. It works for me on thicker leather and once you learn his "tricks" it is easier than it looked like was going to be. Can you post the ISBN number so that i may search fro my own copy?