Sign in to follow this  
shinobi

Half chaps or leggins

Hi folks. I've done a search for a pattern for some western half chaps, or leggings. The kind that start at the knee and extend down passed the ankle.

Anyone know a source? Anyone made any?

Hi, I am busy making a pair. I also searched for a pattern, but could not find the western style I was looking for.

If you look at my BLOG, and click on Looking For Patterns, you will see the type I was looking for.

So I worked with a friend to come up with a design and his is done already. I will try to post some pics here in a day or two.

Thanks Leerwerker. Those are quite similar to what I'm looking for.

Leerwerker....Change the name to" BOATOS" at one time i did have a pattern source for them

i will have to do some looking..........

I COULD NOT FIND THE PATTERN, BUT CHECK THIS SITE OUT..

WWW.WILD ROSE TRADING CO. ---BOTAS..

Edited by Luke Hatley

The full name is botas de alas which translates to "winged boots". On the northern plains they were often called breed leggings since they were popular amongst the Metis (mixed bloods). Historically there is no single pattern - there are south west/Mexican/Californio styles as well as metis styles - all are variations on the same theme.

Here is a basic pattern based on several original SW/Mexican botas:

botas.jpg

Some other patterns are included in the Museum of the Fur Trades Mountain Man Sketchbooks - one pair is similar to these worn by Tom Tobin..

tom-tobin-2.jpg

and here is an original pair made of buckskin - the tooling was done by pressing with a heated plate:

botas-001.jpg

Also I I have found that adding buttons along the side helps immensely with the overall fit....

Here are the names I have so far for the same idea:

Botas

Bolinas

Leggings

Half Breeds

Half Chaps

Puttees

JOhan

Leerwerker....Change the name to" BOATOS" at one time i did have a pattern source for them

i will have to do some looking..........

Now, those in the photo are more what I'm lookin' for. Thanks a bunch guys!

Edited by shinobi

Hi folks. I've done a search for a pattern for some western half chaps, or leggings. The kind that start at the knee and extend down passed the ankle.

Anyone know a source? Anyone made any?

Here is the pattern we came up with and this is the pair my friend made! He did redo the bleedknots on them after I took the photos.

IMG_4969.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

post-6312-1209913003_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1209913017_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1209913032_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1209913045_thumb.jpg

Those pics will help a lot Leerwerker. Thanks!

Here is the pattern we came up with and this is the pair my friend made! He did redo the bleedknots on them after I took the photos.

To the collection of "leatherworker" in different languages:

Hungarian: bőrdíszműves

Edited by KoBold72

To the collection of "leatherworker" in different languages:

Hungarian: bőrdíszműves

There used to be an ad in the Western Horseman (or maybe Horse Illustrated) for some awesome western style half chaps. They had a website and I have wanted to make some like they had. I will have to pull out my back issues and see if I can find it.

In the mean time, I thought this link might be interesting. My Fiance does some awesome beadwork and it would be nice to make some of these. Again, Finding a good pattern would be challending.

http://www.turningpointleather.com/Half_chaps.htm

i just use the english half chaps i use for a pattern and then modify to fit.

i found some inexpensive ultrasuede to use as prototype material before i cut into the suede.

Here is a link to some half chaps that I have been wearing for the last 5 years. These are for bikers versus Western style but they are easy to make and they work beautifully.

I made a template out of plywood for a similar design which I use to cut my leather when friends ask me to make some similar to mine. I like to line my 1/2 chaps with berber fleece.

http://www.leatherlegs.net/

BTW... these are real nice folks at Leatherlegs. I highly recommend them.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Hi

there are no patterns but very nice pics from botas and a lot cowboystuff

http://www.wrtcleather.com/Botas/index-gallery.html

greez

johann

MANFROMMUC.DID YOU LOOK AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE....A GOOD PATTERN.

Just finished my first pair of Botas, and I am pleased with them, (acutally I made 2 pairs, and am working on the second pair). Went trail riding with my wife and put them to the test: During the ride, we jumped a mountain creek thar runs through a narrow gap between the hill side and a drop off. The horse scraped my lower leg on a tree that was growing out of the hill side. The botas protected as planned... this is the whole reason I became interested in half chaps or Botas, (full chaps are too hot to wear in the high desert mountains where we ride. Fortunately the tree didn't damage the botas other than to give them a little authentic "wear". I will post some pics of the finished product, and when I get a chance, will make available the pattern I used. I modified one already posted here to suit my liking: I wanted a symetrical look all the way around, with no overlap/underlap at the heel so spurs could protrude out. The finished product looks like someone sawed off the bottom half of a regular pair of chaps.

post-45360-0-36272800-1381793582_thumb.j

post-45360-0-63207500-1381793592_thumb.j

post-45360-0-26530400-1381793606_thumb.j

post-45360-0-13257300-1381793625_thumb.j

post-45360-0-63753600-1381793634_thumb.j

post-45360-0-31074900-1381793665_thumb.j

post-45360-0-28155000-1381793672_thumb.j

post-45360-0-73625900-1381793683_thumb.j

post-45360-0-20216400-1381793691_thumb.j