ShortBBL

What Edge Beveler Will Do This?

Right now I use an edge beverler from Tandy that looks like this.....

2gxqirq.jpg

and it works ok for most things but when I get to a real small curve/circle like this...

(picture is Particals nice mag pouch)

1z38n0h.jpg

and mine won't cut it, literally!

Is there a better beverler for these type spots? If so... what is it and what size would be similar to a Tandy #3?

I do mostly 8-10 oz leather and I think size 3 is right in the tandy line.

I'm thinking in such a case, I'd use the small diameter sanding drum on a Dremel, and take down just a little at a time. Maybe even using a flex shaft so you can get a very controlled grip.

I finally broke down and bought an edger from Bob Douglas of Sheridan WY. I also listened to his advice on edges. I was working way too hard. The edger was $70.00. But now my edges look just as good or better than before in one tenth the time. Bob's number is 307 737 2222.

i had the same issue for a long time. i bought the weaver edgers and they work like a charm on those tight turns.

Tony

That was actually done with a cheap #2 beveler from an old Tandy kit. The trick is to lay it really flat against the leather and keep the toes of the tool from digging into the inside curve of the slot. I used the same punch with the size slot in my tutorial video on my website.

Cool! Thanks everybody!

I have a pretty nice "first effort" on a 1911 holster that's about done..... well, it WAS about done till I decided to stain the inside Black..... (Chestnut Holster).... yep...... it bleed thru and got the damn white thread!! Now I'll have a BLACK holster! Ugh!

That was actually done with a cheap #2 beveler from an old Tandy kit. The trick is to lay it really flat against the leather and keep the toes of the tool from digging into the inside curve of the slot. I used the same punch with the size slot in my tutorial video on my website.

I'm gonna try that. Edging belt loop slots is one of my achilles heels. I'm guessing your #2 edger is the flat profile and not the concave? I ground down the toes on one of my tools and still had issues.

On a related side note, does anyone know a good source for jewelers files to sharpen these things? Or have any good edge beveler sharpening tricks?

I'm gonna try that. Edging belt loop slots is one of my achilles heels. I'm guessing your #2 edger is the flat profile and not the concave? I ground down the toes on one of my tools and still had issues.

On a related side note, does anyone know a good source for jewelers files to sharpen these things? Or have any good edge beveler sharpening tricks?

I bought WEAVER's Edge Beveler Sharpening system... not too spendy either and seems to keep my bevelers very sharp!

thanks eric , I am still trying to reproduce that exact look but I can not . I jist burnish the inside of the slot with a dowel that will give it that look... sorta .

i use about 5 pieces of thread and coat liberaly with rouge and mount tool in my vice upside down and run the thread inside the forks a bunch of times and I have also rouged the edge of a piece of leather and run the tool backwards on the edge and that will do the trick also . the tread trick will to the groovers also ,. you just have to thread the line into the groovers hole and run it back and forth a bunch of times , hope this helps

ben