Park Ranger

Pfaff Threading Problem

Just received an older, rebuilt Pfaff 1245 from Miami Industrial Sewing, the head only. It came pre-threaded, and with a photocopy of the Pfaff manual so no problem there. So, I'm not sure what is going on with the machine since the main needle thread won't kick over the bobbin post and catches on that post. Spoke with the seller who insists that I don't have it threaded right. At first I suspected they had left the bobbin case back at the shop but they said this model does not use a bobbin case and I'm just threading it wrong. Well somebody's wrong. Would appreciate any advice on the matter. Is anybody familiar with this model Paff? Attached are a couple of pics.

Thanks a bunch.

post-16817-036429600 1288738333_thumb.jp

post-16817-045691400 1288738450_thumb.jp

post-16817-005137600 1288738500_thumb.jp

I have a pfaff 545, I believe the bobbin and shuttle are the same as a 1245. I have a bobbin case it has the the tension spring and thread guide on it. I believe you need a bobbin case. Hopefully a 1245 owner will respond.

Steve

Park Ranger,

You are Definitely missing the bobbin case!!!

Did they not send the belt cover as well?

you are also missing one the thread pre tension / guides. There should be two of them on the top of the head.

If your dealer won't make good for you on the bobbin case I can dig an old one up for you.

The Phaff 1245 is my Favorite flat bed sewing machine. they have there limitations if you stay within the limits you will find that rig is a useful asset.

Best of luck and congratulations on obtaining such a fine instrument.

check out this link

Hi PR,

It sure should have a bobbin case. That model came in a large and small bobbin version and they BOTH had bobbin cases. I have seen the case and hook together sold for $150 for the small and $175 for the large. I have seen bobbin cases out of China for around $40, but have never used one.

Art

Just received an older, rebuilt Pfaff 1245 from Miami Industrial Sewing, the head only. It came pre-threaded, and with a photocopy of the Pfaff manual so no problem there. So, I'm not sure what is going on with the machine since the main needle thread won't kick over the bobbin post and catches on that post. Spoke with the seller who insists that I don't have it threaded right. At first I suspected they had left the bobbin case back at the shop but they said this model does not use a bobbin case and I'm just threading it wrong. Well somebody's wrong. Would appreciate any advice on the matter. Is anybody familiar with this model Paff? Attached are a couple of pics.

Thanks a bunch.

Hey guys thanks for the immediate replies. That's all good advice.

Been doing a little more investigation and it is now obvious that who ever was servicing and dismantling the machine at the dealer for shipping was not paying close attention, doing sloppy work and left out screws, bolts and some parts. (Remember the dealer sells REBUILT MACHINES.) Now, I'm pretty sure the machine head had been mounted on a table with motor at the dealer but. I bought just the head since the table and motor were $300 hundreds extra and the cost of shipping them was an additional $150 over the $100 paid for shipping the head alone.

So, clearly the problem is that the bobbin case cap is missing leading to the thread tangling around the bobbin post......duh! Feel pretty stupid about not recognizing that immediately since I've owned a couple of industrial machines but was willing to believe the dealer, a man with forty plus years in the business and a self -professed mechanical genius trained in Germany, that no cap was used on this model. WTH??? I sent the dealer the same pictures, yet they argue no cap was used on this model because it is a large bobbin "heavy duty" model. Allowing for benefit of the doubt, let's just say somebody was maybe tired and perhaps just confused.

So, which cap is required? Well, obviously a cap for a model 1245....but not exactly because there are early and late versions for the 1245. More research has determined that my machine is the early version with the long hook and without the integral thread guard and sharing the same bobbin case as the earlier Pfaff model 545. That said, I've just ordered a 1245 bobbin cap and hope it is the right one since it was advertised as a 545/1245 cap from Raphael's in Montreal. Absolutely great people and providers of my Techsew GA5-1. Highly recommend these guys. We'll see if this gets the job done.

Hey guys thanks for the immediate replies. That's all good advice.

Been doing a little more investigation and it is now obvious that who ever was servicing and dismantling the machine at the dealer for shipping was not paying close attention, doing sloppy work and left out screws, bolts and some parts. (Remember the dealer sells REBUILT MACHINES.) Now, I'm pretty sure the machine head had been mounted on a table with motor at the dealer but. I bought just the head since the table and motor were $300 hundreds extra and the cost of shipping them was an additional $150 over the $100 paid for shipping the head alone.

So, clearly the problem is that the bobbin case cap is missing leading to the thread tangling around the bobbin post......duh! Feel pretty stupid about not recognizing that immediately since I've owned a couple of industrial machines but was willing to believe the dealer, a man with forty plus years in the business and a self -professed mechanical genius trained in Germany, that no cap was used on this model. WTH??? I sent the dealer the same pictures, yet they argue no cap was used on this model because it is a large bobbin "heavy duty" model. Allowing for benefit of the doubt, let's just say somebody was maybe tired and perhaps just confused.

So, which cap is required? Well, obviously a cap for a model 1245....but not exactly because there are early and late versions for the 1245. More research has determined that my machine is the early version with the long hook and without the integral thread guard and sharing the same bobbin case as the earlier Pfaff model 545. That said, I've just ordered a 1245 bobbin cap and hope it is the right one since it was advertised as a 545/1245 cap from Raphael's in Montreal. Absolutely great people and providers of my Techsew GA5-1. Highly recommend these guys. We'll see if this gets the job done.

Yikes!

have you gotten the parts for your  machine ..if not you should call Boyd Walker in Spokane  or better yet just take the head to there and ask for Darrel  the machine is well worth getting the  correct  parts and being installed correct.    you need someone close by ...good luck ..Dave1

Edited by Dave1

3 hours ago, Dave1 said:

have you gotten the parts for your  machine ..if not you should call Boyd Walker in Spokane  or better yet just take the head to there and ask for Darrel  the machine is well worth getting the  correct  parts and being installed correct.    you need someone close by ...good luck ..Dave1

Dave1;

This topic is 6 years old and has probably been resolved a long time ago. You should check the dates of posts before reopening such an old topic. But, who knows since the OP never officially ended the topic?