GrampaJoel

Western Saddle Seat Rise?

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if someone would share with me the way of determining the seat rise of a western saddle?

And could you please explain it's purpose?

I know I must have heard it somewheres at sometime, but I just can't remember it's function. Old age is creeping in I guess.

Thanks

Joel

bump

Everyone must be busy. Surely I haven't stumped the band?

bump

Everyone must be busy. Surely I haven't stumped the band?

Hi Joel

It is kind of a loaded question since different riding disciplines will have different views and ideas about the type seat they prefer but on the other hand the horse will tell you that he likes enough rise in the ground work to clear the base of his withers (sic). A safe rule of thumb used by many makers is to angle the seat rise to the top of the handhold as far as the ground work goes. Some makers will add more (or less) depending on the customer. Some ropers prefer a flatter seat as do cutters but the sliders and spinners prefer more rise. Since you can't actually sit up there, it is more important to get the balance of the seat correct where you actually do sit and that in its self is always open for discussion among and between horsemen and makers. Most makers that have worked out of their saddles have a grasp on getting the seat right .Those that don't ride are usually guessing since they have no real idea of how it should feel or function.

Confused even more now?

Kind Regards

Blake

Mornin' Joel!

Well, Blake pretty much covered it. From this saddlemakers position, the most important thing to me is first and formost, proper clearence, to the horses back, mostly a function of the tree, plus a little bit of rise. After that, it is a matter of rider's preference. Depending on what kind of riding they are doing they can want/like anything from a high rising deep pocket to a wide open flat seat. Usually I am making saddles for people that have been riding for a long time and really know what they want. Personally, I like a pretty much wide open low seat. When I do get a chance to get out and ride, (not often as I would like) I like to ride as long as I can. If I am at a penning, cutting or on the trail I may stop to shoot the breese (go figure!). When that happens, I may be there for a while, and in a deep pocket, that means I am pretty much sitting in the same position all day, with a wide open seat I can move around a little bit. Like I said, after function, it is pretty much a matter of preference.

Bob

Thanks guys

. Both of your answers are what I was looking for.

Great answers both!

Thanks again

Joel