Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Shoulder Armor And Mantle

Shoulders on mantle. 12oz saddle skirting, dyed with Fiebing's tan, finished with Fiebing's Super Shene spray.

DSC01559.JPG

DSC01560.JPG

DSC01561.JPG

DSC01562.JPG

Very cool! I really dig it.

Chris

Great work! Can you explain how you got that finish? How and what dye you used and the final finish? I really like that look. Thanks.

Great work! Can you explain how you got that finish? How and what dye you used and the final finish? I really like that look. Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing! It looks more like mahogony or red with a dark antique finish than brown. I love it! It looks great!

Three coats of Fiebing's Tan applied with a dauber in a circular motion, last coat left to pool on the surface a little, then buffed with a neatsfoot-impregnated rag and sealed with Fiebing's Super Shene.

Edited by hivemind

looks great

Three coats of Fiebing's Tan applied with a dauber in a circular motion, last coat left to pool on the surface a little, then buffed with a neatsfoot-impregnated rag and sealed with Fiebing's Super Shene.

Thanks, I wouldnt mind trying that effect sometime.

Is that Tan dye? It looks more reddish rather than tan.

Edited by OdinUK

It is definitely tan.

A very nice looking job. Any plans to make more of this style until you have a full panoply ?:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Are the side sections wet moulded to keep thier shape?

A very nice looking job. Any plans to make more of this style until you have a full panoply ?:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks. Depends on how much the buyer wants. She definitely wants a kidney belt / waist cincher to go with these - I already took her measurements. I think a pair of full arms would go nicely, but it's up to her pocketbook.

Are the side sections wet moulded to keep thier shape?

They're what I call "dye molded", which means that when they were still wet with dye, I gave them a little shape and let them dry like that. I do this a lot with things that don't need serious shaping.

My son asked me a lot of times if I could make a Armor shoulder , he just wants one shoulder .

Gave him a look at your work and he loves it , but still wants one shoulder done, any suggestions how to keep that in place?

They're what I call "dye molded", which means that when they were still wet with dye, I gave them a little shape and let them dry like that. I do this a lot with things that don't need serious shaping.

Thanks, I plan to try something similar at some point, First Ill be ordering some tan dye to try out.

My son asked me a lot of times if I could make a Armor shoulder , he just wants one shoulder .

Gave him a look at your work and he loves it , but still wants one shoulder done, any suggestions how to keep that in place?

Either hang it off the torso armor with a lace like I did with these, or if he's not wearing a torso, you're dealing with a strap that runs across his chest, under the opposite arm, then across his back, and a second strap around the bicep. That works, but it's got a fair bit of travel still, and he'll be screwing with them a lot to adjust them as he's wearing them. I really recommend hanging them off something, either a mantle/gorget or torso armor.

Tnx.