Boothill Bob

My New Stamps And Homemade Press

Howdy pards..

I´ve used my havy leadhammer to make good impressions with my makerstamps (new one to the right), had to hit it so hard that

things fall down from the walls :-\

But now I´ve made a press on the most simple way, I bought a jack and welded

it together on my work, saved hundreds of $$$$$ ;D

And my friend Dick (rebsr52339) bought the Frank James Holster Rosette Stamps for me from Mr Ghormley

so I could pay him by paypal. On those beautis I still have to use the leadhammer, dont know if I dare to cut

the handles and use them in the press ???

post-13398-085128000 1289590997_thumb.jp

post-13398-092865500 1289591008_thumb.jp

Hi Boothill,

that is a great idea, do you have anything under the jack to hold any stamps in place, or do you just set them on the leather and crank away?

Moe.

Hi Boothill,

that is a great idea, do you have anything under the jack to hold any stamps in place, or do you just set them on the leather and crank away?

Moe.

Hi.

I just set them on the leather and crank away. Have to be careful but it works and

Saves som money ;-)

That is a great idea.

I have one of those hand operated hydraulic wood splitters laying around. A coworker wanted rid of it a couple years ago, I've always intended on making it into a small shop press. Clearance will be low for me, being constructed out of an I-beam, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Howdy pards..

I´ve used my havy leadhammer to make good impressions with my makerstamps (new one to the right), had to hit it so hard that

And my friend Dick (rebsr52339) bought the Frank James Holster Rosette Stamps for me from Mr Ghormley

so I could pay him by paypal. On those beautis I still have to use the leadhammer, dont know if I dare to cut

Reminds me of the clicker I made for a couple hundred,(got the idea from Heather at Texas Custom Dies). It is amazing how much money we can save doing projects like this. Mike

Neat idea. Just wanna make sure you check for hydro leaks every so often before you put the pricey stuff in there .

why? your friend bought them to better you works, no? he bought them knowing that you're well equiped to use them as you need. as your workings call for. you're obviously an artist and your friend see's that also. you go on and customize those pieces as you see fit and hey,, if nothing else ~ you make one hell of a custom thing for him. from the look of yer work, you'll be useing those custom parts alot more than you're anticipating. your work is great

It's amazing how you can look at the same thing and NOT have the same idea. A couple months ago I spent all morning walking around a machine market looking for a hand operated hydraulic press - essentially a jack welded into a frame. They sell them at Harbor Freight in the USA for around $100. Since they are made in China I thought no problem to find them here. No one ever even saw one in their life here.

I looked at dozens of hydraulic jacks and thought a little about how I could use them and never once thought to weld one to a frame like you did.

Thanks!

Just today I had a conversation with a machine maker who made me up a special rivet press for my cue cases. He said he could make a custom die press for me - I wonder if his idea runs along the same lines.

It's amazing how you can look at the same thing and NOT have the same idea. A couple months ago I spent all morning walking around a machine market looking for a hand operated hydraulic press - essentially a jack welded into a frame. They sell them at Harbor Freight in the USA for around $100. Since they are made in China I thought no problem to find them here. No one ever even saw one in their life here.

I looked at dozens of hydraulic jacks and thought a little about how I could use them and never once thought to weld one to a frame like you did.

Thanks!

Just today I had a conversation with a machine maker who made me up a special rivet press for my cue cases. He said he could make a custom die press for me - I wonder if his idea runs along the same lines.

Glad that I can help John.. It works sooo nice, took me 30 min to make and cost me $14 :Holysheep:

Howdy pards..

Boothill Bob,

It sounds like you may not of been using a heavy solid surface to stamp on, it is a very important step to do all your stamping/tooling on a solid surface like a marble or granite slab. Also consider a Maul or Mallet of the proper weight for the stamp/tool you are using. A lead hammer will damage most stamps. A heavy 3 lb. maul with you maker stamp on a slab of 4 inch marble on a solid surface should not rattle your walls. Those stamp you bought will need a 16 to 24 oz. maul or mallet with the proper tooling surface (like marble or granite).

Also make sure you have the proper moisture content of the leather for good tooling impressions.

If you are already doing all of this great. I just wanted to point out a couple of options for you before you cut up those stamps you bought from Mr. Ghormley.

Boothill Bob,

It sounds like you may not of been using a heavy solid surface to stamp on, it is a very important step to do all your stamping/tooling on a solid surface like a marble or granite slab. Also consider a Maul or Mallet of the proper weight for the stamp/tool you are using. A lead hammer will damage most stamps. A heavy 3 lb. maul with you maker stamp on a slab of 4 inch marble on a solid surface should not rattle your walls. Those stamp you bought will need a 16 to 24 oz. maul or mallet with the proper tooling surface (like marble or granite).

Also make sure you have the proper moisture content of the leather for good tooling impressions.

If you are already doing all of this great. I just wanted to point out a couple of options for you before you cut up those stamps you bought from Mr. Ghormley.

Thanx for the tip rickybobby .. I have a 2 " marble slab which I use for all my tooling and carving .. I have found that when I use Ghormleys stamps, I do it on my concrete floor with a small iron plate under , it works fine .. So I will not cut the stamps...