jfhspike

Needle Timing And A Singer 31-15

jfhspike,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience here!!! Thanks to all who answered the questions too!

My new sewing machine is a 1937 (?) Singer 31-15, and I have to get her up and running. So wish me luck! This is my first post here, I just joined and am excited to be part of this group!

Have a great day!

-Suze

Edited by suzelle

John, I have had this se problem with mine and found it can be as simple as missing one of the lower thread guides as the cause. Don't overlook the possibility of needing to use a different type of needle. I've also found that rotating the tension spring up to about a 70 degree angle (or higher if need be) instead of the 40 to 45 degrees they are usually at makes a world of difference in eliminating bottom loops. The fact that your material is slipping back toward you is definitely a presser foot issue as well as a contributing factor. I do a lot of historical costuming as well as leatherwork and deal with similar issues on most of my machines frequently. Try sewing silk and satin over buckram and heavy canvas to make a 17 th century dress mess jacket if you want headaches. Don't get me started on hats.....

Good luck and Ihope you get this solved.

Thanks for the suggestion, Merlyn616. As it turned out, it was a top-end timing problem for me, but there's probably someday going to be someone else reading this thread of postings for whom your answer is exactly what's needed. I'll keep in mind the idea of adjusting the tension rotation as a possible fix for future problems. --J

The same thing happen to my Singer 31-15 when I decided to change the feed dogs to the heavier style........Loops on the bottom side of the fabric. I am using a 18 needle with 69 bonded thread sewing two layers of cotton ticking. I have the thread tension set almost to the maximum, would that be correct? that is the only way I get a good stitch with a long stitch. I have timed the dogs and the needle to the shuttle and even compaired the 31-15 strokes to a 15-91 they seem to be identical. The thread tension is so high that it doesn't seem right. I pulled the tensioner all apart and cleaned everything........I don't understand what John did the 30-40 degrees......I've done everything by the manuals..... this is an old tailoring machine, so why the high tension? Thanks for any help, Sincerely, blue99, John.

Hi, blue99. Look really closely at what happens during stitch formation. There are two things going on. (OK, there are a million things going on, but let's concetrate on two of them).

(1) The needle is plunging down through the material, pulling up a bit to form a bulge, which the "hook" is catching and wrapping over the bobbin, forming the "knot", and then rising up to pull the knot -- both the "top" and "bobbin" halves of the knot -- up into the midpoint of the material (at least if you've got things set up right).

(2) The cloth is being advanced by the feed dogs, so that the knot you've just formed is now pressed between the feed dogs and the plate beneath it. That holds tension on the "already sewn" part of the two threads so that the needle/tension and bobbin/tension assemblies can get the right tension in the next knot.

Imagine if part 2 happens too early -- before the needle and the up-and-down-arm that's above it have pulled the knot into the cloth, the material has already advanced. You end up with a loop of top-thread dangling below the cloth, and pinched between the foot and plate. The arm rises up but cannot pull that loop back up tight, and instead pulls more thread through the upper tension assembly.

If you think about this, you'd expect the problem to be worst with long stitches. With short stitches, the previous knot isn't really all the way under the presser foot as described in item 2 above. (This is what I found on MY machine; if you don't have these symptoms, then I doubt my solution is the one to follow!)

So I'd try the following: back off on the stitch length until you're making quite small stitches and see if the loops still appear on the bottom side. If not, then with small cloth-advance, you're good, but with large cloth-advance, you're getting the pinching I described. You might even want to try the small cloth advance and see whether you can adjust the tension to something reasonable in that situation.

What you need to do, IN THIS CASE ONLY -- i.e., only if the "small stitches" situation doesn't make loops and lets you use more reasonable tension, but long stitches make you get loops -- is to adjust the timing of the feed-advance vs the needle/hook operation.

How do you do that? None of the manuals I found described that, so I'll make an attempt here. Look at page 4 of http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/31-20.pdf; there's a cover plate marked "F" in Figure 3. If you look behind that cover plate, you'll see that the main crankshaft of the machine is visible. Two things are driven by that crankshaft at that end, and ONE of them drives the feed-dog assembly. Look at the diagrams at

http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/31-15.pdf

Find the page saying 22303-1/3 at the right. There's a screw marked 446AL; if you loosen that, the feed eccentric (127152) can be rotated on the crankshaft by a few degrees, adjusting the timing of the feed. Which way do you rotate to advance or retard the feed? I have no idea. I did it by trial and error.

I want to be clear here: adjusting this is what I did to make my machine work, but I'm NOT a sewing machine service person -- just an amateur kind of mechanically inclined guy. It's pretty clear to me that adjusting this eccentric too far can really screw things up, and trying to make the adjustment through that cover-plate hole isn't easy. If I were you, I'd be very certain to mark the initial position of the eccentric so that you can put it back to its former state, and try adjusting it by only quite small amounts to see if you can improve matters. The fact that adjusting this eccentric is not included in the general manuals suggests to me, at least, that you're messing with the Dark Arts, and are more likely to screw things up than fix them. I'd never have done it to mine if it weren't essentially a machine that I could afford to destroy (I only paid $50 for it).

Anyhow, with that caveat, and with a clear understanding of what I've written above, you could try what I'd described, and it if works for you, let us know.

Or you could take the safer route and have a professional adjust it for you.

By the way, when you adjust that screw, make sure to use a screwdriver that fits really well -- wide enough for the slot, thick enough to fill the slot but not so thick that it won't go in --- and make sure to snug it up decently when you're done. You'd hate to have the feed adjust itself during your later sewing. :(

I have had this same problem. You might try this. Do all these things with the stitch set at the longest stitch. Remove the needle, rotate the machine till the feed dog drops below the needle plate, put a piece of paper under the presser foot let it down. now check to see that is held firmly in place. If it is not, adjust the presser bar lower.

Take the paper out, put the needle in turn the hand wheel till the feed stops moving to the back, the point of the needle should be just ready to enter the material, but the feed dogs should not have dropped below the surface of the needle plate. If the feed dog has dropped thin slick material can slide toward you by the thread tension. This will create more slack than the take up can pull. The feed dog front to back movement is adjusted by he collar on the main shaft. The up & down is adjusted by loosening the screw on the bell crank on left end of the front shaft on the bottom of the machine.

Edited by pcox

Thanks for your replies, I got my machine to work like the former champ that it was .......not really sure what was wrong but now I feel that I understand the 31-15 pretty well......I also never thought to look at sister machine manuals for information. That was a great idea. Thanks again. blue99, John.

I have bobbin area timing problems with my 31-15. On the Singer 31-15 parts page: 22305 - 1/3, are parts 1266AL set screws? If so, mine are headless and have been turned into pins. Loosening the set screw at the other end of the rod: 453AL, didn't seem to free up anything. I think I need to move the bobbin away from the needle, so adjusting only the needle bar might not fix the timing issue. I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area or if I should have started a new topic thread. Thank you in advance, SharonK

Hello Sharon,

Some of the older 31-15's were pinned & unless the pin breaks it won't go out of time,unless the needlebar gets pushed up when you break a needle.