Sign in to follow this  
dickf

1911 Govt Iwb

It took several tries to get the stitch line where I wanted it for this pattern. I was finding that I was usually too far away from the gun, but I'm very happy where it's at now. I just need to scoot the slight turn at the dustcover end down about 1/4".

Anyway, the leather is HO, the thread is 277 top and bottom (although I really want to run some 346 through the top just to see). The gun is a Colt Combat Elite XSE and is a real sweetheart.

As always, c&c is welcomed.

Thanks

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4727.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

Looking at this kind of gunleather is what got me started in this. Top notch work. Your detail molding with this holster is, IMO, about as good as it gets.

I'm using a Boss, and I know from looking at Particle's work that a Boss can be tuned to make real nice stitching (although it seems I always fall short of being "extremely" happy with it), but when I see stitching like this I get jealous. You're using a Cobra right?

Thanks for sharing,

Lance

Very sharp looking! I love the color. I haven't made this style of holster yet, so I'm FAR from an expert, but I wonder if the snaps (both of them) need to be moved over to the right some? It seems like having the forward snap further from the slide and the rear snap closer to the trigger guard would allow the belt to force the rotation of the pistol grip inward towards the body a bit more. Just curious, because like I said, I haven't made an IWB of this style yet. :)

Dick, that's a superb job on the holster.....but you have my sympathies for having such an ugly....UGLY gun. I think you do a lot here, so I'll do you a favor and dispose of it for you, and free you from any further ridicule about the ugliness of that 1911. My shipping address is........

Thanks for the nice words, guys!

@olliesrevenge - When I bought my machine, I couldn't afford a Cobra or Toro 3000. I ended up talking with Ryan Neel and bought a Model 5. It's a great little machine and has been serving me well. I would recommend it to anyone.

@Particle - It would be more ideal for the loops to both move to the right - you are correct. The issue with that is, this holster sits at the perfect depth inside the waistband and has an ideal amount of forward cant. If the triggerguard loop came in, then it would obstruct the draw. If the outside loop went out, the holster would be even bigger than it already is. I'll get a shot of this holster on - perhaps it will look different.

@TwinOaks - That thing is really fugly, isn't it? What did you say your address was...? It's always the most accurate one in the bunch and is usually riding on my hip around 3 o'clock - 3:30.

1911_on_black_art.jpg

Nice holster, great molding on it....

I use 277 for the top and bottom also in my Toro 3000. I've tried 346 for the top but cant get it to run smoothly, I'm thinking I might have to run some sort of thread lube to get it to work but haven't tried it yet.

Edited by brinyar

If my molding was half as nice and defined I could die a happy man. Great work. Do I see a video tutorial in your future...

I think the key to molding is knowing when to start, regarding moisture levels, and knowing when to stop regarding detail. That happy medium usually yields some nice detail molding.

A video tutorial? I'll leave that to the video tut pro ;)