LeatherBodhi

Muir Cap / Cadet / Garrison Hats/ Berets

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie leatherworker, but I've been a leather restorer / bootblack since 2005. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience creating hats other than kepis and cowboy hats. I have a few styles in mind with pictures, but I have no experience. I've managed to find a pattern of sorts for the garrison hat, but I'm flying by the seat of my pants on the cadet and the Muir cap (other than having pictures of what I like).

For the Muir cap, I anticipate I'd need to use firmer tooling leather for the bill and circumference (kind of like a visor, I guess) and more flexible leather for the crown. For the others, I'm not sure where to start other than deconstructing one.

P.S. Do leather milliners use a blocking method like many other milliners?

Thanks in advance,

Riley

aka LeatherBodhi

I have a leather Kepi that I bought back in 1979. They used a Latigo ,I believe, for the bill, as when it gets hot the bill gets soft, and flops down. The only other thing I have had happen is the front area that touches the forehead has rotted over the years. That hat has seen many miles of hiking the back country, and many years on my head. I am thinking of making some more myself.

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie leatherworker, but I've been a leather restorer / bootblack since 2005. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience creating hats other than kepis and cowboy hats. I have a few styles in mind with pictures, but I have no experience. I've managed to find a pattern of sorts for the garrison hat, but I'm flying by the seat of my pants on the cadet and the Muir cap (other than having pictures of what I like).

For the Muir cap, I anticipate I'd need to use firmer tooling leather for the bill and circumference (kind of like a visor, I guess) and more flexible leather for the crown. For the others, I'm not sure where to start other than deconstructing one.

P.S. Do leather milliners use a blocking method like many other milliners?

Thanks in advance,

Riley

aka LeatherBodhi

I seem to rember that Tom Banwell had a shako and a Dragoon helm on his site. I seem to recall that he had a tutorial for some kind of hat or helmet. I hope this helps good luck.