Sign in to follow this  
rustyriggin

First Attempt At A Stirrup Fender

Ok go ahead and pick it apart, I know it leaves alot to be desired, but being the only leather worker for and hour in either direction I don't get any usefull input except for on here.

post-6578-079603900 1290650703_thumb.jpg

post-6578-019086600 1290650723_thumb.jpg

I am no expert, but it looks like you are going to end with a considerable amount of background areas between your flowers. If you have a chance. buy the "Sheridan Style Carving" by Clinton Fey. There are a number of photos of saddles tooled by the Masters. If you look at those photos, you will see what I am talking about. I wish I had half of your talent in drawing. It is going to be nice.

Terry

I am no expert, but it looks like you are going to end with a considerable amount of background areas between your flowers. If you have a chance. buy the "Sheridan Style Carving" by Clinton Fey. There are a number of photos of saddles tooled by the Masters. If you look at those photos, you will see what I am talking about. I wish I had half of your talent in drawing. It is going to be nice.

Terry

I know what you mean, these are just a few of the patterns I could find laying around that I already had, that I just traced. If I had any talent at drawing I would be able to fill in the space. I got to thinking after I finished it that I should have started in the center. Now I'm out of tracing film, so it'll be after a trip to Hobby Lobby before I try again, and a trip to Tandy for some books, or maybe Hidecrafter. Thanks for the advice.