newfiebackflip

Pattern Making Software

Does anyone know of a decently priced software program (preferably for MAC) that I can get to help make and design my own patterns?

Hi newf,

I use Adobe Illustrator which is available for Macs, but it's not cheap. You can sometimes pick up a slightly older version of it relatively cheaply on Ebay, which is where/how I got mine.

There are also lots of free design programs that are surprisingly good - my favorite free one is Inkscape, but sadly, there is not a Mac version of it. But here's one place that lists a bunch of other free design/drawing programs that run on Macs:

http://www.snap2objects.com/2008/06/17/24-free-mac-design-programs/

Kate

Thanks,

I will give it a go.

Thanks again!!!

Oops, I stand corrected... there IS a Mac OSX version of Inkscape! Highly recommended!

http://inkscape.org/

Kate

Tandy Leather puts one out for the iPhone if you have an iPhone. It's very basic though.

Thanks,

I will look at everything I can to find one that suits me fine.

You know, this would be an excellent project for a CAD student looking to do a project for his school work. And it could be translated into a salable product with some work.

Input a picture of a item to the program and have it develop the component parts, complete with 2D draws for templates with the holes already marked and matched. It's certainly no more complex than some of the stuff I've seen CAD programs do at Boeing (well, they have significantly more computing power available but they're doing bigger items as well.)

You know, this would be an excellent project for a CAD student looking to do a project for his school work. And it could be translated into a salable product with some work.

Input a picture of a item to the program and have it develop the component parts, complete with 2D draws for templates with the holes already marked and matched. It's certainly no more complex than some of the stuff I've seen CAD programs do at Boeing (well, they have significantly more computing power available but they're doing bigger items as well.)

Yes, I graduated with a degree in drafting/engineering technology. I had to do a senior project in order to graduate and this would have been perfect!

Yes, I graduated with a degree in drafting/engineering technology. I had to do a senior project in order to graduate and this would have been perfect!

I, for one, would love to be able to feed a "stubborn" program to that kind of software and have it fix what ever T*ndy did to it back in the '60s.

Further thought on the CAD thing.

Someone should develop a program that takes a picture of a hide and pictures of the items to be cut from that hide, and finds the best layout for cutting.

Oh, and send me a copy free, please. I'm a pensioner so I would never be able to afford it.

Oops, I stand corrected... there IS a Mac OSX version of Inkscape! Highly recommended!

http://inkscape.org/

Kate

Nice find Kate.

From their website: "An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format."

I use Xara X for my patterns and layouts and if this is a free version that is actually up to snuff with Xara that's a darn nice deal.

Try google sketchup. It is a very easy 3D CAD software to learn.