Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Mosin Nagant Revolver Holster Ideas

Mosel 1895 Mosin Nagant Revolver holster. I wanted to make a leather holster for the revolver that is not like the originals. For one I would want it to be open at the top no flap. Second I want it to be a mid leg rig. Like the ones that hook to the belt and strap around the leg. Don't know what style that would be but I hope you know what I mean. Like a military style I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. John

First off, it's the Nagant M1985....no "Mosin" to it- that's the rifle. As far as the holster, just look in the holster section at the tutorials. There are several that are 'pinned' at the top of the forum. They include instructions for making a pattern and then a holster. For the drop leg style, you simply need to make allowances for extra leather for the loop, and an attachment point for the leg strap.

John -

I think I know what you mean, but just to be sure, are you wanting to make:

a. Tactical style holster similar to what SWAT teams use that drop from the belt and strap to the thigh?

b. A cowboy style drop loop holster?

Twinoaks thank you for the reply. Your right it is just Nagant but it is a model 1895. But thank you for the information and reply.

Mattsh thank you for your reply. Drop from the belt and strap to thigh. Yes that is what I wanted to make. And I have never made a holster but as long as it works for me it will be fine. John

If you wanted to make something neat, you could always make a "drop" holster. I had one for one of the Japanese fake guns when I was a kid in the late '60s. It's a flap holster, but when you undo the flap, the whole holster drops so that the flap is out of the way. I haven't seen one in at least 35 years, but they're very interesting.

If you wanted to make something neat, you could always make a "drop" holster. I had one for one of the Japanese fake guns when I was a kid in the late '60s. It's a flap holster, but when you undo the flap, the whole holster drops so that the flap is out of the way. I haven't seen one in at least 35 years, but they're very interesting.

Deanimator thank you for the reply. I don't have any idea what you mean but it sounds really cool. Have a picture? John

Deanimator thank you for the reply. I don't have any idea what you mean but it sounds really cool. Have a picture? John

I wasn't able to quickly find a picture, since most of the links are to the now common thigh holsters.

The way a drop holster works is that it has a long belt loop or loops fastened to the flap. When the flap is fastened it shortens the loops so that the holster rides at a normal height on the belt. . When you undo the flap, the weight of the gun drags the gun and holster downward, the now unrestrained loop(s) straightening out so that the flap is now straight up, parallel to the holster body, and providing a "drop". This lowers the holster to be closer to your hand when your arm is relaxed by your side. Obviously, the holster body is NOT molded to the gun.

If I remember correctly, this can be combined with a strap on the inside of the flap which goes underneath the triggerguard and is anchored on the inside of the holster. This partially raises the gun out of the holster when the flap lifts.

I haven't seen one of these AT LEAST since I was in high school, but it'd be something neat to make for a surplus handgun. If I had the extra leather, I'd think about making one for my Mauser Broomhandle.

I wasn't able to quickly find a picture, since most of the links are to the now common thigh holsters.

The way a drop holster works is that it has a long belt loop or loops fastened to the flap. When the flap is fastened it shortens the loops so that the holster rides at a normal height on the belt. . When you undo the flap, the weight of the gun drags the gun and holster downward, the now unrestrained loop(s) straightening out so that the flap is now straight up, parallel to the holster body, and providing a "drop". This lowers the holster to be closer to your hand when your arm is relaxed by your side. Obviously, the holster body is NOT molded to the gun.

If I remember correctly, this can be combined with a strap on the inside of the flap which goes underneath the triggerguard and is anchored on the inside of the holster. This partially raises the gun out of the holster when the flap lifts.

I haven't seen one of these AT LEAST since I was in high school, but it'd be something neat to make for a surplus handgun. If I had the extra leather, I'd think about making one for my Mauser Broomhandle.

I like to see a picture of that. Sounds interesting. You have the Mauser broomhandle? Luxky dog. Always wanted one of those but cost to much. If you find a picture post it sounds cool. Thanks for the replies. John