Bobby hdflame

Fantastic Leather Edge Burnisher

I made one. I purchased a wool felt wheel (two actually). I mounted it on a ½" shaft arbor. It works okay. Currently I have a piece of heavy canvas wrapped around it (glued). I like the canvas a little better but really haven't used it that much. I also made one with leather washers (instead of the wool wheel) stacked on a shaft arbor. Works well also.

Picture of a wool felt wheel and wool felt wheel on the shaft arbor with canvas wrapped around it, attached.

Where did you find the wool felt wheel?

Bobby

I purched two on ebay for $5 each. I think it was a lucky find. Normally they run around $20. You can search under "wool felt wheel". You can also order them from http://www.buffalofelt.com/Felt_Wheels.aspx The sizes are not listed on their website, you have to call them. They come in soft, medium and hard. I think i have medium. Don't know which is best. The harder (more compact) it is the more it costs. I have a 3" diameter. I would like a smaller diameter because you can see the work results faster (if you burnishs from the bottom of the wheel).

The width I have is 1-3/4". You need at least that much so you can make at least two sizes of grooves. Two inches wide perhaps would be better. I used a round file and screwdrider to form the grooves.

Ken

I purched two on ebay for $5 each. I think it was a lucky find. Normally they run around $20. You can search under "wool felt wheel". You can also order them from http://www.buffalofe...elt_Wheels.aspx The sizes are not listed on their website, you have to call them. They come in soft, medium and hard. I think i have medium. Don't know which is best. The harder (more compact) it is the more it costs. I have a 3" diameter. I would like a smaller diameter because you can see the work results faster (if you burnishs from the bottom of the wheel).

The width I have is 1-3/4". You need at least that much so you can make at least two sizes of grooves. Two inches wide perhaps would be better. I used a round file and screwdrider to form the grooves.

Ken

Thanks for the info. I'll check on prices, but it's sounding like it may be just as cheap and quick to buy the fantastic wheel and wax on eBay.

Bobby

I made something similar using the motor out of an old vacuum cleaner - free.

I made something similar using the motor out of an old vacuum cleaner - free.

I've got a holster making video by John Bianchi. He shows how he made one just like it. I remembered that I have an electric motor from an old piece of equipment that I no longer use. I'm going to make my own with it.

John Bianchi used round pieces cut from 100% wool saddle pads to make the burnisher.

hi how does it make the edges dark i didnt understand. he doesnt use dye :S

does the wax make edges burnishing and dark ?