jasonsmith

Stamping The Flesh Side

I've got a half shoulder piece of leather from Tandy. I think it is around 6 oz. I'm making some large armbands with pyramid studs. And I plan to dye both sides black. I was thinking of getting an alphabet stamp set so I could stamp something like my name on the bottom (flesh) side of the leather. That way if it got stolen or something, I could identify it. Before I buy the set. I was just wondering if you can stamp the flesh side of the leather? I know everyone typically stamps the grain side. I'm wanting to do it on the bottom so it isn't seen.

This is the alphabet stamp set I'm looking at going with:

4909-00-L.JPG

I had also thought of this one, but I like the stamp in the above pic better:

4903-01-L.JPG

Edited by jasonsmith

Yes, that will work. We saddlemakers make roughout saddles all the time and put our makers mark on the flesh side. It shows up quite well and the letters are smaller than you will be using.

Yes, that will work. We saddlemakers make roughout saddles all the time and put our makers mark on the flesh side. It shows up quite well and the letters are smaller than you will be using.

Thanks. I'm looking at the 1/4" letters.

Can I stamp the leather dry? Or do I need to wet the leather down before I stamp? If I have to get it wet, then I'd guess I'd have to let it dry for a day or so before I dye it.

You need to get it damp to stamp the letters. Many dyes recommend application while the leather is damp. Should be able to proceed.

You need to get it damp to stamp the letters. Many dyes recommend application while the leather is damp. Should be able to proceed.

Thanks. I think I'm going to get that Preval sprayer at least for the dye. Not sure if I want to use that for the sealer. That way I don't have to worry so much about streaks.

prevalSprayer.jpg

I got my 1/4" stamp kit in and did some test pieces. And it worked fine. Only thing is you can see an impression on the grain side. Though, that may get covered up some if you dye it. It would be best to do it on an unseen area from the grain side. I'll have several rows of 1/2" spots on mine. So, I'll just stamp on the underside where the spots will be. That way the spots will cover up the impressions left by the stamp from the flesh side.

The nice thing is when I dye the flesh side. You'll still be able to easily see the impression. Though, I will probably do some test pieces where I use a brush to dye the impression grooves and see how that looks.

Edited by jasonsmith

I'm looking to stamp our logo on the flesh side of cuff bracelets, using a rubber stamp and an archival ink pad. Has anyone ever done this before? Obviously some flesh sides are smoother than others, and would probably take a stamp better. But overall, does the image show up well? It's just two words and a dog that I will be using. Thanks for your help!