Bryan

My First Swivel Knife!

Well, I've done it. After a few months of trial & error, I've finished my first swivel knife!

Here's the skinny: It has a solid copper barrel (blasted finish), double ball bearing action, stainless yoke & stem & press fitted Henley blade. That's right, this knife does not have a set screw. It is nice & clean all the way around. I bought a quality blade so I will not be changing it. This thing is super smooth! I can't wait to use it. Hope you guys like it.

-Bryan

BW Hand Tooled Leather

post-10422-006291400 1291868587_thumb.jp

I do quite a bit of machining and I thought it would be fun to make a swivel knife, but I've never attempted it. I like the one you made though, very nice.

Chris

Gday Bryan

That tool looks very nicely made mate , have you every thought about making a few to sell to some of us other LWs ??

I am in the market for 1 or 2 of them if you are interested in making a few

PM me if you want

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

that looks great and very well constructed, beautiful, and unique!!!... are you going to clear-coat it? or leave it 'in the raw' to patina? also...

...i used to to have copper acoustic and bass strings, they would sound fantastic (when fresh/new-very loud, clear and 'piano-like'), but had an issue with them causing my fingertips to blacken where they came in contact, and both the string and hands started smelling like you've been holding a handful or two of pennies in your hand throughout the summer... that wouldn't wash out/off immediately... so... two roundabout questions, does this have any issues like that? and second, did you make it for personal use, or are you planning on offering them up for sale?

take care, happy carving....

eric

hi Bryan

i really like the knife you made. excellent workmanship. how did you fabricate the ball bearing action? i am really curious about how my knife works as i don't have the courage to open it up and see how the ball bearing works. did you get the original from a stock swivel knife or you made your own yoke and ball bearing assembly? hope you take time to maybe think of turning your knife making into a small biz to cater to some of us here at LW. its just beautiful!

very nice work. I like the copper finish.

but had an issue with them causing my fingertips to blacken where they came in contact, and both the string and hands started smelling like you've been holding a handful or two of pennies in your hand throughout the summer... that wouldn't wash out/off immediately...

This was my thought when I read the part about you using copper to make it. That your hands woudl soon be black and they would stink.

Your workmanship looks good (very good), nickel silver would likely been a better metal choice of metal though.

Aaron

First, thank you all so much for the kind words! I am really excited about this & your comments are encouraging.

To answer some questions:

mugwump, no plans to clear coat. The copper is sort of an experiment. I'm curious to see how it will look after some use & also wanted to try a knife with some extra weight to it.

sheridanman, I purchased the ball bearings from an industrial supply. The nicest knife I own is a Barry King & it has one single ball. Other than that I have absolutely no idea how other knives are built so this is just what I came up with & I think it is a solid design. Simple, clean & functional.

I would love to get a few of these out to some of you for testing. Any one interested please send a pm & I'll get a list going.

Here are two more knives I finished today. One in brass & one in magnesium. The magnesium barrel is incredibly light weight!

post-10422-075973900 1291957622_thumb.jp

post-10422-004521900 1291957638_thumb.jp

Very coool, I sent you a p.m.

Bryan

First, thank you all so much for the kind words! I am really excited about this & your comments are encouraging.

To answer some questions:

mugwump, no plans to clear coat. The copper is sort of an experiment. I'm curious to see how it will look after some use & also wanted to try a knife with some extra weight to it.

sheridanman, I purchased the ball bearings from an industrial supply. The nicest knife I own is a Barry King & it has one single ball. Other than that I have absolutely no idea how other knives are built so this is just what I came up with & I think it is a solid design. Simple, clean & functional.

I would love to get a few of these out to some of you for testing. Any one interested please send a pm & I'll get a list going.

Here are two more knives I finished today. One in brass & one in magnesium. The magnesium barrel is incredibly light weight!

That brass knife is primo and I imagine it is weightier to the grip. Superb effort.