I'm going to be spraying some leather gauntlets I'm making. They will be black. Any opinion on using an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun vs. Preval to do large areas? The Preval looks easier to use, but have heard some people getting a bad can. I do already have an air compressor and Harbor Freight has a cheap HVLP gun. Just deciding which way to go:

image_1301.jpg

http://www.harborfre...-gun-47016.html

This is a good example of what I'm making and dying:

KI450.jpg

Skip the HVLP sprayer and get the $10 airbrush (Harbor Freight) instead. The dyes you will probably be using are pretty thin in consistency and don't require the larger spray pattern of the bigger spray gun.

Like TwinOaks said go with an airbrush those HVLP Sprayers are designed for paint not dye, an airbrush is also easier to use than the Preval sprayer.

Cheers,

Clair

Definitely not preval if you have a compressor already. The Preval can pop off the base (gets dye everywhere) and uses about twice the amount of dye for the same area. if you want a gun with a bigger spray zone than an airbrush but want the same control and compressor hookup, check out a touch up gun: http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

I have one and love it for doing large single color pieces - it covers twice the area an airbrush will in a single pass with slightly better penetration. The cup is also just about the right size for a full 4oz bottle of dye also so it's great for production run spraying. At $14.99 it's hard to go wrong.

It was my understanding the airbrush has a narrow spray pattern. So, that I've read it is hard to use on large pieces of leather and getting it even. Which is where I've read people saying to use the HVLP gun to dye large pieces of leather vs. small things like belts, etc.

But the airbrush does look easier to use. What do you guys use to clean the airbrush when you are done?

Here are a few I'm looking at:

image_2703.jpg

www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

--------------------------------------

image_1373.jpg

www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-kit-47791.html

----------------------------------------

image_3373.jpg

www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

That last one looks nice. But has a 1/8” - 27 NPS inlet. And Harbor Freight doesn't sell an air hose with that size. Only one with 1/8" 28 NPS on one end and 1/4" on the other end that goes to the compressor.

I also plan on getting a filter since I don't have one.

The top two are single action airbrushes. For just coverage they would be fine. For any kind of control purposes yuo'd be better off with the Badger 155 knock-off at the bottom. It's a dual action airbrush that will allow yuo to control volume and air flow at the same time.

The hoses can be picked up at any hobby supply store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels for $5-10

Cleaning - just use water or Denatured Alcohol depending on the type of dye used last. Fill the cup about 1/2 way and then shoot the cleaner through until the spray is clear/white. The remove the cup, spray until nothing comes out and then wipe out the cup.

Edited by Spinner

Definitely not preval if you have a compressor already. The Preval can pop off the base (gets dye everywhere) and uses about twice the amount of dye for the same area. if you want a gun with a bigger spray zone than an airbrush but want the same control and compressor hookup, check out a touch up gun: http://www.harborfre...-gun-66871.html

I have one and love it for doing large single color pieces - it covers twice the area an airbrush will in a single pass with slightly better penetration. The cup is also just about the right size for a full 4oz bottle of dye also so it's great for production run spraying. At $14.99 it's hard to go wrong.

That sounds better as all I plan on doing is a large piece like in the above pic of the black gauntlets I posted. I checked, and the HF has it in stock. I plan on going out of town at some point where there is a HF local.

How does that spray gun compare to an HVLP?

Can you hook up a regular 1/4" air compressor hose to it? I notice it has a 1/4" - 18 NPS inlet. I believe the air compressor hoses are NPT, but I'll need to double check that.

Edited by jasonsmith

That sounds better as all I plan on doing is a large piece like in the above pic of the black gauntlets I posted. I checked, and the HF has it in stock. I plan on going out of town at some point where there is a HF local.

How does that spray gun compare to an HVLP?

Can you hook up a regular 1/4" air compressor hose to it? I notice it has a 1/4" - 18 NPS inlet. I believe the air compressor hoses are NPT, but I'll need to double check that.

Yep, it's a standard inlet. My recommendation is to buy the quick connect threaded nipple & receiver instead of threading a hose directly to it. HF has those in packs for cheap. I have one of these guns for the grunt work and the Badger 155 airbrush for detail work. The two together make a great combo for both full coverage and highlight work.

As for how they compare, the touch up gun is actually a hvlp gun as well but due to it's size they call it a touch up gun. The touch up gun is actually nicer to use (I have owned all three types we're discussing here) as it has a similar spray pattern width but has a lower air pressure requirement and lower air consumption meaning your compressor won't be kicking on as often.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-accessories/5-piece-industrial-series-air-tool-quick-coupler-set-4873.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-accessories/air-tool-accessory-kit-42716.html

Yep, it's a standard inlet. My recommendation is to buy the quick connect threaded nipple & receiver instead of threading a hose directly to it. HF has those in packs for cheap. I have one of these guns for the grunt work and the Badger 155 airbrush for detail work. The two together make a great combo for both full coverage and highlight work.

As for how they compare, the touch up gun is actually a hvlp gun as well but due to it's size they call it a touch up gun. The touch up gun is actually nicer to use (I have owned all three types we're discussing here) as it has a similar spray pattern width but has a lower air pressure requirement and lower air consumption meaning your compressor won't be kicking on as often.

http://www.harborfre...r-set-4873.html

http://www.harborfre...-kit-42716.html

Thanks. That larger gun looks like it would work better instead of an air brush since I've got a bigger piece of leather. I know of the quick disconnects. Only thing is it says the gun uses NPS threads where as I believe the usual compressor hose is NPT threads. But I'll have to see if they have some NPS connects.

hey I really like that touch up sprayer, think I'll get one myself. Thanks for the tip. I need a compressor too, is there one that would be ideal for this size sprayer and the somewhat minimal use that it'll get and be good too for an airbrush later? .. and is not too expensive ?

Harbor Frieght has them for fairly cheap but I have found in the past that their bleeder valves (for letting the air out when you're done for the day) tend to fail faster than others.

Home Depot, OSH & such usually have Big Red (Craftsman/Husky) compressors on sale a number of times a year. Any size compressor will work but keep in mind that the smaller the tank section the more often it will turn on and some (like mine) can get noisy in a small shop. I can dye quite a few pieces with mine before it even thinks about turning on but it also takes up the same amount of space a small motorcycle does. ;)

If size/noise aren't a factor, a decent 3-4 Gal. compressor will suit most folks needs. It will turn on after about 5 minutes of solid spraying (which is quite a bit when spraying dye) and only takes a minute or two to fill completely back up (most turn on when 1/2 empty so you can keep working). Here's one similar to my last compressor that did the job for quite a while:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhc/R-202018102/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

If you have a little more room & cash to spend and plan on doing detail work or larger projects, go with something like:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhc/R-100653165/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

To give a comparison, this is what a starter airbrush specific compressor (quiet, small & no maintenance but won't run tools) starts at:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/paasche-d500-air-compressors/

I dyed some test pieces. And it looks like the leather wants to wrinkle up. Kinda like when you get a piece of cardboard wet and it dryes. It was small pieces though. And maybe I put too much dye on as the dobbers soaked up alot of dye. I think I'm going to look for some drum dyed black leather that I can easily cut and punch and not bother with having to dye.

I picked up the little HF compressor that's made for the AB. It won't run tools, but it is VERY handy for transportation and using when you don't want the noise of a regular compressor.

Just to help spread the knowledge, most name brand airbrushes have replaceable needles and nozzle tips. If you buy something like the Paasche VL kit, you get three which allows for a large range of spray patterns.

I've found the Preval sucks. I was expecting it to spray like spray paint. But it just shot it out in gobs. Since it didn't spray a nice thin even coat, you had to spray back over areas that didn't get dye and it ended up soaking the leather and it was dripping. So, you would be better off just rubbing it on instead of using the Preval.

I've found the Preval sucks. I was expecting it to spray like spray paint. But it just shot it out in gobs. Since it didn't spray a nice thin even coat, you had to spray back over areas that didn't get dye and it ended up soaking the leather and it was dripping. So, you would be better off just rubbing it on instead of using the Preval.

Sounds like you got a bad one Jason. I've had that happen before. It should spray pretty much exactly like spray paint (overspray included) but it shouldn't glob or spit. If it does either of those the likely causes are: clogged intake tube, old/thickened dye or the unit is old/dead.

That reminds me of one day the local Tandy manager and one of his staff were dying a bunch of bracelets for a local kid's group project and the unfortunate staff member grabbed a bad Prevail unit. Loaded it up, started to spray and it got a heavy clog. The unit built up pressure enough to blow the white base off the can and send about 2 ounces of dye down the front of her shirt and arms...

Sounds like you got a bad one Jason. I've had that happen before. It should spray pretty much exactly like spray paint (overspray included) but it shouldn't glob or spit. If it does either of those the likely causes are: clogged intake tube, old/thickened dye or the unit is old/dead.

That reminds me of one day the local Tandy manager and one of his staff were dying a bunch of bracelets for a local kid's group project and the unfortunate staff member grabbed a bad Prevail unit. Loaded it up, started to spray and it got a heavy clog. The unit built up pressure enough to blow the white base off the can and send about 2 ounces of dye down the front of her shirt and arms...

I'm going to dye my stuff with the wool daubers. I've done some test pieces and they came out fine with no streaks. I'm using the Fiebing's Pro Oil Black.

How long do you wait inbetweeen coats? I wait around 10-15 minutes when it looks like most of the dye has been absorbed on top of the leather when I put on a 2nd coat.