okay guys what do YOU do to make your stitch holes. i unfortunately dont have the luxury of machine so everything is done by hand. right now im using a mini drill press which is okay but im just trying to gauge what other people use, thonging chisels? just a regular awl? what? any input is appreciated guys

okay guys what do YOU do to make your stitch holes. i unfortunately dont have the luxury of machine so everything is done by hand. right now im using a mini drill press which is okay but im just trying to gauge what other people use, thonging chisels? just a regular awl? what? any input is appreciated guys

before i got my cobra class three machine, i marked my leather with the overstitcher then used a 00 hole punch. came out pretty good that way.

Tony

Edited by troop

I mark my stitch locations with an overstitch wheel and use a stitching awl and two needles as described in Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" Before that I used the diamond stitching chisels from Tandy but someone here mentioned that my stitch holes looked huge (which they did) and suggested I learn to saddle stitch with an awl. It was good advice and I'm glad I listened.

Bronson

Edited by Bronson

Ask the guy running this forum about the hand stitching articles by The Capgun Kid. Last year I submitted a bunch of articles on hand stitching as taught to me when I learned to make historical shoes and boots. In that article sequence is a section about awls, how to make them, how to engage them and how to taper thread and make finer stitches and holes. I dunno what happened to those articles and have not seen them since. They were originally published in The Cowboy Chronicle years ago.

The long and the short of it is stop using the drill press, pay attention to the replies you received about marking wheels and overstitchers.

Finely taper and then polish your awls and they will glide through the leather, especially when using the Stohlman book and stitching in a clamp. I attached one of those articles and, hopefull;y, one of the pics. There is no Photopoint.com anymore, so if I can find some time I'll dig up the photo's if you think they will help.

Hope this helps

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

SASS# 31398

gjgeiger@zoominternet.net

Stitching by hand.gunfighter.doc

post-11577-009776900 1292069385_thumb.jp

post-11577-027752500 1292069455_thumb.jp

post-11577-044438500 1292069484_thumb.jp

Another awl and saddle stitch guy here....my advise is get a good awl, I didn't know how heavenly one could be til I got me a Bob Douglas.

When I have to go through 4 or more layers of 8oz. I make "pilot holes" with a 3/64" drill bit in a drill press. Then use the awl as I stitch, the awl actually stretches the hole to the right size and shape for stitching.

Overstitch and awl :yes:

My first year I hand stitched. I'm on a Cobra machine now.

Edited by Shorts

Ditto what Rayban says........I do just as he does. Mike

I hand-stitched for years using a stitching groover, overstitching wheel, stitching awl, and harness needles. I can still do it, but a good machine has me spoiled completely.

thanks for the replies and believe me if i could afford a machine i'd so go that route but working part time retail doesnt make that completely possible lol

I use an adjustable groover around the edges, and a freehand groover for the outline around the gun. I then mark the stitch locations by rolling over the grooves with an overstitch wheel. I then put the holster on a piece of 2x8 lumber, and punch each hole with a diamond shaped awl and a rubber hammer. The diamond shape seems to draw back up around the stitches as you pull them tight. I use two needles, one on each end of my thread, and sew in a crisscross pattern. I believe this is called a saddle stitch.

For the past 30-odd years I've used the traditional pricking iron, diamond awl and two needles - and they still work fine for me!

I started out using a Tandy scratch awl. That worked, but it produced large holes than I wanted. I recently switched to a Tandy stitching awl with interchangeable blades. That produces a much more attractive stitch, although it's significantly harder to use.

I groove using a Tandy adjustable groover. I use a Tandy stitch wheel to mark the holes, then the awl to make the holes. I groove the opposite side with a Tandy freehand groover.

Edited by Deanimator

Now I'm probably not going to say what you want to hear, . . . but here it comes anyway:

Do you have cable or satellite TV? Do you smoke? Do you drink occasionally? Do you do a couple of Starbucks Latte's each week? Do you buy a handful of lottery tickets every week?

If you answered yes to any two of the above, . . . you can afford a brand spanking new, . . . warranty and all, . . . Tippmann Boss stitcher. $1195 was the price the other day if I am not badly mistaken.

Then you can honestly begin to turn out one extra belt every week (an absolute PAIN if you have to hand stitch a 52 inch belt), . . . or an extra holster per week, . . . and once you start doing that, . . . you can go back to your bad habits that you gave up to get the Boss in the first place. OR, . . . maybe you will be quit of the bad habit, . . . and can save the cash for a better machine farther down the road.

Seriously, . . . I hand stitched for a while, . . . and I really am not sure I would go back to it if I could not use a machine. I love working leather, . . . but maybe I would find stuff that didn't need to be sewn, .................

Anyway, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

Now I'm probably not going to say what you want to hear, . . . but here it comes anyway:

Do you have cable or satellite TV? Do you smoke? Do you drink occasionally? Do you do a couple of Starbucks Latte's each week? Do you buy a handful of lottery tickets every week?

If you answered yes to any two of the above, . . . you can afford a brand spanking new, . . . warranty and all, . . . Tippmann Boss stitcher. $1195 was the price the other day if I am not badly mistaken.

Then you can honestly begin to turn out one extra belt every week (an absolute PAIN if you have to hand stitch a 52 inch belt), . . . or an extra holster per week, . . . and once you start doing that, . . . you can go back to your bad habits that you gave up to get the Boss in the first place. OR, . . . maybe you will be quit of the bad habit, . . . and can save the cash for a better machine farther down the road.

Seriously, . . . I hand stitched for a while, . . . and I really am not sure I would go back to it if I could not use a machine. I love working leather, . . . but maybe I would find stuff that didn't need to be sewn, .................

Anyway, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, sign me up!!!!

dwight great answer and i appreciate it and while i do smoke and have a few drinks during the week MOST of my money goes back into helping my mom and dad ( im only 22 and still live at home) neither of which can work due to either heart problems or disabilities but hey....the boss is a great goal to work towards! i dont mind handstitching at all at the moment im just trying to get some ideas for the future it might sound KINDA funny but theres nothing as therapeutic as handstiching a fresh holster! :clapping: thanks for all the input guys!

While I use a Boss stitcher and/ or an adler on some of the different areas of a saddle for convenience such as the sheepskin to skirts, I still use the hand stitch method with awl, overstitch wheel, and needles in certain areas like cantle binding, horn cap and such. It is a matter of getting the best result in the area you are looking to stitch. You can't beat a good hand stitch for strength and durability, you just have to be particular about your results, you want them to be professional.

Bob

When I hand stitch, it's with an awl, two needles, and a lot of time. I also overstitch the lines to mark the stitch locations. I was able to get a Boss, and I STILL hand stitch the ends to lock the thread in place (I think it was Dwight that mentioned that once- great idea). If you can't afford a stitching machine, keep hand sewing. As Art once said, "Hand stitching will help you save up your money faster".