Timothy

9 Strand Flat Braid

Glad this helped.

Carr52,

For length of lacing I use the finished length I want times 1.5. This usually gives plenty of leftover for terminal turks heads leaving tassels hanging, etc. For simple braids I usually wind up cutting off several inches, but I'd rather have too much than not enough. I'd be interested to see how others figure this too.

Timothy

Hi Timothy, this is Jock54, from Warwick, Queensland, Australia. I have been plaiting kangaroo leather lace for the last four years. I make lots of leather plaited belts, hat bands, with turks-head knots, this allows you to adjust the band to the size of the hat, usually a cattlemans hat in Australia. I also plait dog and cat collars, and dog leads. The hat bands, I plait them flat or round. When I make a belt for a customer, to find how much leather lace is needed so that it is not short, I need to get their waist size, for example, I am 40inches, add another 6 to 10 inches, that makes 46inches, then multiply 46x3=138inches. That means each strand of lace will be 138inches long, or 11feet 6inches. I use this formula for plaiting all my belts, and it works every time. When I have time, I will put some photoes up of my leather belts and things. I f there is anything else I could help you with, just contact me, I am a member of leatherworker.net.

I am wondering if anyone know of any end pieces that could perhaps be purchased at Tandy, that could attach to the ends to make this a beacelet? Any help would be appreciated.

You might try looking for a jewelry finding used for fabric chokers and bracelets sherlockian. It is commonly called a "ribbon crimp end". They are sold by most places that sell beads and stringing supplies, as well as online (I use Fire Mountain Gems for much of my beading supplies), and materials range from plated metal to platinum, with corresponding prices. Anyway, once you've attached a ribbon crimp end to each of the ends of your braid, a regular bracelet clasp (lobsterclaw, toggle, magnetic clasp, etc.) can be attached to the crimp end for the actual clasp.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

I note several folks looking for something to make with this braid. I have made several hatbands with both the 9 and the 7 string version of this braid. If you  make a braid with 3/32" lace, to about 30" long (strings to be ~1.5X finished, length) you can put a little ring knot near each end and let the end be a fringe. Then just put a nice little tack pin like a Texas Lone Star to hold it together where it crosses itself and you're done. Several years ago, I was selling these faster than I could make them!  Try using 2 different colors of string, and if you move the colors to different spots, you will get a different pattern too. 

Mike

This is a nice tutorial of braiding and i will try it next after completing my current leather work. Thank you for posting.