Deanimator

Dampen Before Dying With Ecoflo?

On another thread, somebody mentioned dampening the leather before using EcoFlo dye. I'd never seen that before.

I'd gotten disgusted with the dye issues and put things aside for a while, but rather than go out in the snow, I decided I'd try this technique on a piece of scrap. I just lightly dampened the work with a wet sponge and immediately applied the dye.

In fact, it worked quite well. After only one coat, the finish is very even and consistent.

I've still got a large bottle of the Bison Brown EcoFlo dye that I'd rather not discard.

Is dampening the work first a generally accepted technique and one that generally works better than applying the dye to the work while dry?

Probably depends on the dye. Wet leather and Angelus dyes hate each other, especially the black.

I always applied EcoFlo to dry leather.

I've been using the eco-flo all in one and also the eco-flo water based coal black. If I dont dip dye with the coal black I make sure the leather is fairly wet before I dye with a sponge. Results are much better than when I tryed to dye dry.

I was taught to dampen the leather .I believe it helps the dye penetrate the leather easier than when it is dry.

On another thread, somebody mentioned dampening the leather before using EcoFlo dye. I'd never seen that before.

I'd gotten disgusted with the dye issues and put things aside for a while, but rather than go out in the snow, I decided I'd try this technique on a piece of scrap. I just lightly dampened the work with a wet sponge and immediately applied the dye.

In fact, it worked quite well. After only one coat, the finish is very even and consistent.

I've still got a large bottle of the Bison Brown EcoFlo dye that I'd rather not discard.

Is dampening the work first a generally accepted technique and one that generally works better than applying the dye to the work while dry?

For water based dyes ......yes. For oil or solvent based dyes.......DEFIITELY NO. Mike

For water based dyes ......yes. For oil or solvent based dyes.......DEFIITELY NO. Mike

When I had to use Ecoflo, wetting the leather worked best for me.....there was no dampening, I got it good and wet with a spray bottle.

With oil based, I've done this also, but the color is going to turn out darker, that's the only ill effect I got, and it's what I was after at the time.

Probably depends on the dye. Wet leather and Angelus dyes hate each other, especially the black.

I always applied EcoFlo to dry leather.

Hmmmm....I only use Angelus dyes (spirit based, no oil) and I use a damp leather every time. I get more even resaults and it's much easier to shade from one color to the next. It's also much easier to control the amount of color/dye on the leather and way less bleeding if any, just my two cents. I do agree on the black color, I don't dampen the leather for that color either.

Edited by Tina

Hmmmm....I only use Angelus dyes (spirit based, no oil) and I use a damp leather every time. I get more even resaults and it's much easier to shade from one color to the next. It's also much easier to control the amount of color/dye on the leather and way less bleeding if any, just my two cents. I do agree on the black color, I don't dampen the leather for that color either.

Yeah, black leaves a lot of residue when it's applied to wet leather. It's a mess.

I only use black and brown dyes so I've got no experience with other colors. Glad you posted about changing shades. Sounds like you've got more dynamic use of Angelus dyes. :thumbsup:

Yeah, black leaves a lot of residue when it's applied to wet leather. It's a mess.

I only use black and brown dyes so I've got no experience with other colors. Glad you posted about changing shades. Sounds like you've got more dynamic use of Angelus dyes. :thumbsup:

I try using it as "paint" if you will...I love the vivid colors even if dye is way harder to use than acryllic paint. I also love that you can still see the real leather "under" the dye. I enclose a small picture of an experiment I did early on, this is one of the few pictures I have before putting antique on stuff :-) This is one of the leathers I have dampen first, then started to work with the dyes and shade the colors.

post-5624-092137900 1292748278_thumb.jpg