1. 1. Have you ever quit smoking?

• Yes, for less than a year
    • Yes, for more than a year
    • Yes, many times
    • No, but I want to
    • No, I never will quit
    • No, never smoked
    • No, but I turn my oxygen tank off first
  2. 2. If you quit successfully, what helped?

• anti-depressant meds
    • nicotine patches/gum
    • candy/gum
    • keeping hands busy
    • change old habits
    • doing the math for the expense
    • health conditions
    • admitting it's inconvenient and stinky
    • guilt from family & friends
    • locked self in local jail (or comparable) for a week
    • other (please explain)
  3. 3. How long were you a smoker?

• less than 1 year
    • 1-5 years
    • 5-10 years
    • 10-20 years
    • 30 years or more

Well Johanna, I've been quite busy of late sandblasting and all and haven't been on much. But I do recall that yesterday was Independance Day, and as I said........

So have you QUITE??????

This tinfoil hat is getting itchy, thank heavens tinfoil doesn't rust.......

Now be honest with me here, you know I don't want to do this if I don't have to, but as i said, yesterday was the day.

Ken

I had tried unsuccfully for many years and when I finally dropped the habbit I used an E-Cig. havent touched a cig since. 4 years and no urges.

I also lost weight lol

But thats a different story and a different struggle!

It was easy though and the plan i used even got me off using insulin 3-4 times a day.

I use Ecigs too. Haven't had a cig for more than 18 months :-)

They certainly work for me!!

Cheers

Zip

I hope they ban that ecig crap. It chokes me out as bad or worse than regular secondhand smoke.

I know everyone tries to claim it's "only water vapor", but unless you absorb 100% of that stuff (extremely unlikely), there is more than "just water vapor" getting spewed out.

I hope they ban that ecig crap. It chokes me out as bad or worse than regular secondhand smoke.

I know everyone tries to claim it's "only water vapor", but unless you absorb 100% of that stuff (extremely unlikely), there is more than "just water vapor" getting spewed out.

And the alternative is to continue smoking. Do you understand what smoking regular cigarettes means? It means taking into your body something like 2000+ poisonous chemicals. I know where I place my bets, and that's with electronic cigs. I can now breath regularly, I can climb stairs without running out of breath, my clothes and breath don't stink etc. On top of that there are no dangers to people in my proximity with regards to second hand smoke/vapour etc. I suggest you do your research before you decide to bad mouth something that is saving the lives of many, many people.

Cheers

Zip

I know how breathing the exhaled crap affects me and I do not appreciate being called a liar.

The actual, real alternative is not to "continue smoking"...it's to get control of yourself and stop ingesting all that stuff completely.

No one forced you to start smoking and no one is forcing you to continue. Also, that ecig vapor stinks and yes, the people using it smell foul. I can smell it on them. The worst is the exhaled vapor though...I cannot breathe around it. It's horrible.

Also, it isn't "safe". There has actually been research completed recently that found the ecig junk is actually more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke.

I didn't do anything to those people, so I don't understand why I must be subjected to that stuff. If people insist on sucking on those things, they need to do it outside where myself and others won't get choked out by it. That's all. And if they continue to be inconsiderate with it, yes...I will lobby as hard as I can to get it banned.

Edited by LTC

Well, we'll have to agree to differ then, because the research is out there to prove that your claims are non founded. ecig liquid contains nothing more than vegetable Glicerin (food grade approved) Flavouring (food grade approved) and Nicotine which is no more damaging than Caffine (enjoy your morning coffee perhaps?) With regards to nicotine, did you know that many vegetables contain nicotine? Eggplant for example contains huge amounts!!!! As far as your higher than mighty statement that 'Nobody forced me to start smoking' Yep I have to agree, but hey, how can you tell a 10 year old what to do when all of his peers are doing the same? That was the era I grew up in.

I didn't call you a liar btw, all I asked was that you did your research before making damning remarks. Ecigs are saving many, many lives without putting others at risk. That's a fact, and the evidence is out there.

Cheers

Zip

You called me a liar by trying to claim that crap has no effect on innocent bystanders after I stated I couldn't breathe around it.

I don't drink coffee, tea, sodas...and I don't eat eggplant.

Oh, and I was ten years old once and I managed to not start smoking. Guess I was brought up better than that.

People like you are why that crap will get banned. You seem to have some sort of self righteous attitude that makes you think you can spew that stuff out anywhere you want...that is why people like me will succeed in getting it regulated, if not completely banned altogether.

Saying ecig "save lives" is pretty ridiculous...you're still ingesting carcinogens, you're still spewing out carcinogens for others to be forced to breathe (because you are not absorbing 100% of that garbage every time), and you're making ridiculous excuses to justify that behavior. And don't say "there's carcinogens everywhere"...that doesn't give you or anyone else a right to add to that because of your own personal vices. I now know what kind of selfish person you are, so I am finished talking to you...unless you call me a liar again in which case I will correct that again.

Edited by LTC

I have nothing more to say on the matter, except, do your research before you make sanctimonious claims.

Our discussion is over, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Oh, one more thing, If you haven't tried Moussaka you don't know what you're missing :-)

Over and out

Zip

GOOD LUCK JOHANNA.

Had all the bad habits over many years. Smoking was the first I did away with. Smoked the greatest amount when tipping the glass at the bar so that is where I quit.

Arose one morning and had a light, nagging, cough and foul taste in my mouth and decide that it was the smokes. Later that day, I purchased a new pack, went to the bar, sipped a bit of suds, reached for a cig from the new unopened pack and asked myself what I was doing, as I had quit. Placed the pack on the bar, finished my suds and that was the end of that habit. Next came the suds and pretty much the same idea. Cold turkey, and I was a bar owner at that time. Never looked back and so pleased that I gave it all up.

There is always something to work on in our lives and the next item for me is the weight control situation. At my age, I still am giving up bad habits and now, finally, am on the way to "THIN", and so pleased. Hope I am around long enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Each of us has to find the method that best fits, when giving up something that we have been involved with for some time. Today, even though I cannot be around the smoke as it makes me ill, I do not condemn anyone. Just a part of our life and we must take control as we best see fit.

My feelings are, if you really want to give things up, you will find a way. Like leatherwork, if you want to learn and do it, you will.

Many challenges confront us but we are the masters of our destiny, mostly, as we live our life.

Stick to it and you will make it and if like myself, you will feel much better after a short period of time.

God Bless.

Ray

Edited by raysouth

Just luck, but I could vote never; however, having been through it with my wife, I do have some observations: First comes motivation, for MW I begged her for years to no avail but when the kids got big enough to beg and cry (which I had nothing to do with) that did it. Next face up to the reality of being an addict which thankfully won't last for long, then come all the physical habits and associations that went along with it. Busy hands, no smoking please signs, removing all the ash trays (yes the decorative and commemorative, too), a little dab of 'tough love' from significant others, next and potentially final is reward and recognition, appreciation demonstrated. We started with the little steps and soon went to annual and eventually dropped it. That was ~35 years ago and for some time now my wife and her sense have been offended to say the least, which seems to signal victory. "Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty I'm free at last" MLK

Now I'm by no means an expert on quitting smoking, though in my 15 years as a tobacco addict I have quit several times, once for over 2 years.

For the first several attempts it was cold turkey, and I had some success, 2 years smoke free at one point. However I never really wanted to quit, I did it for my girlfriend(now wife). Later on I tried the patches, and the gum but with little success.

My latest attempt(going very well, 6 months in) is using an ecig. Now I realize this is more replacing the habit than quitting however, I have weaned myself from 28 mg e liquid down to 7(nicotine content). The next step is no nicotine at all.

To those who are behind the ecig movement, it's a step in the right direction but it's not quitting. You're replacing one habit with another. True, ecigs are thought to be less harmful, but it's still an addiction and no addiction is good. However just because there aren't many laws specifically pertaining to these devices, doesn't mean you have no obligations to others. If someone asks you not to use it around them, be respectful just as you would with your cigarettes.

To those who oppose this new wave of smokeless nicotine addicts, whatever your claims against them, how about a little understanding? Would you berate the person using methadone to get off of heroin? I'm sure we can all agree that smoke is more bothersome and harmful than vapor(though some people have shown reactions to the propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin that comprise the bulk of the liquid. Other ingredients are nicotine and flavourings). The tests that have been done so far have been largely biased, funded by tobacco companies or subsidiaries and their testing is quite flawed. Most testing has been done on the cigalikes, the cheapo gas station things you find everywhere now. Sadly these are not representative of the mainstream user. Most people who go to vaping (ecigs don't smoke they only produce vapor), use what's known as a Mod. A larger device, not even close to resembling a cigarette. The advantage of this is the user can choose flavor, nicotine content, pg/vg blending, etc. And, you can choose where to source your liquid or to make your own. This is the main difference. Those prepackaged cigalikes are largely made outside of country and imported, with quality control and safety not being an issue. It's like buying your hamburger from McDonalds vs making your own.

As a user of one of these products (last 6 months)and someone who smoked cigars(and I mean smoked, full inhale) I can only attest to what my personal experiences are:

I no longer have a smokers cough

No more shortness of breath or occasional chest pains

No more bringing up phlegm

My leather items no longer have that stink about them

I've rediscovered my sense of smell(and boy is it working overtime)

My fingers have no more staining

My wife no longer complains of the smell(she doesn't even complain about the black liquorice flavour I use and she hates liquorice)

The cost of vaping vs smoking. Vaping I've spent less than $200 on my equipment and liquid over 6 months, vs $100 a week on cigars

Oh and to top it off, no withdrawal

Anyone who would like to discuss this in a reasonable and adult fashion, I welcome the conversation. To anyone trying to quit, I applaud any actions you take towards that end. To anyone who has issue with these devices, I welcome your feedback, as long as you are willing to enter a conversation with an open mind.

I have plenty of understanding for them as long as they don't use that stuff indoors. I cannot stress enough how badly an effect that stuff has on me. Apparently, no one seems to care about that though. The important thing is how much better your vices are for you...not any detrimental effect it has on others.

But keep citing your little "studies" and all. I'm really sure those aren't funded by those ecig companies, huh?

I have no pecuniary interest in any of this so do not have any reason to lie to you about the effect it has on me. It literally makes me cough as badly as if I had hay fever and I don't even have seasonal allergies.

Just because "they" say there aren't any I'll effects on people does not mean it's true.

Oh, and someone using methadone doesn't have any direct negative effect on me, so no...I don't give a crap about that. The ecig garbage does have a direct negative impact to me and yes, I will oppose it and do everything possible to get it regulated and banned in the same places regular tobacco smoking is banned. Every time someone tries to claim it has "no negative effects" on innocent bystanders, I will reiterate the negative effect it has on me.

Outdoors, I don't care what you do because I can choose not to be around you in favor of being able to breathe.

On a side note, I find it humorous how many people seek praise and congratulations from others for "quitting" (replacing) a horrible vice that they chose to begin in the first place...

I'm not praising anyone for quitting a habit they chose to start. Breaking an addiction however is different. It requires help and support to be successful. Whether an alcoholic chooses to attend AA, quit cold turkey, or go through another process, the important part is that they get the help they NEED. Addicts will justify things any way they can, saying it doesn't hurt others, whatever they have to do so they can keep going.

As far as the ecig companies funding studies you're way off the mark. They don't have the resources or the channels to get them published into mainstream media, but we all know how much money and pull those tobacco lobbyists have. The same tobacco companies that are losing customers to the ecigs are the ones who are pushing to ban them. In fact there is only one ecig made by a tobacco company, the rest are not affiliated. Coincidentally that ecig is also the only one with a television ad. Blü

As to these studies, I've actually read them and researched the issue. I'm not saying they have no ill effects on users or bystanders. I'm not even close to calling them safe. But, heck for all we know our iPhones and other smartphones are poisoning us, they have been around about as long and surprisingly enough there are fewer studies done on them than the ecigs.

LTC, While you seem to be stuck on your personal issues with these devices they are just that. YOUR ISSUES. I haven't heard of one other person with this issue, especially second hand vapor(I have heard of people with sensitivities to one ingredient but those people tweaked their ejuice to remove the offending culprit) If someone is using these around you, you have the right to ask them not to use it. But they have their right to use it' as long as it doesn't infringe on others. This isn't black and white. It's all grey.

Now you've said the vapor bothers you, understandable. Some people do have allergies to the pg or vg or various flavourings. So rather than outright saying the vapor is to blame, maybe we could discover your issue. Have you any allergies to food additives? Propylene glycol is a common food additive and if you do some research on it, you will discover it's the one of the ingredients in... asthma inhalers. Vegetable glycerin? It's a food additive too. If this vapor bothers you, have you ever been to a concert or haunted house with a smoke machine? Guess what, same stuff way bigger scale. Look on YouTube and you will see some idiots using smoke machines to vape with(pure idiocy unabashed and unbridled)

Personally diesel exhaust bothers me immensely (burning eyes, throat, coughing, trouble breathing etc)but I'm not calling for banning them. And when people park them next to doors with the engine running I don't have much choice about my air quality. Even these "cleaner diesels" with particulate filters do the same thing, be it a 600hp cat in a tractor trailer or a little tdi jetta

Judging by your previous comments in this thread, I would guess you were never a smoker, maybe have never struggled with addiction at all. If that's the case you are stronger than most. If it's not you have your own vices and I'm sure they've affected someone else at some point as well.

Now to be clear here, I'm not attacking you, your beliefs or anything of the sort. But let's step back from the issue and look at something else. When automobiles were first invented, do you know how many people were against the noisy smoking creations? How many people tried to ban them from the streets so they could keep using their horses and buggies? How many pedestrians got hit? Without some painful growth and experience, anything new can be demonized.

What's being debated here is largely subjective and opinion based. I have a quote on opinions, not entirely proper but it goes something like this, "Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks theirs doesn't stink." Basically opinions are feelings, largely based on experience rather than fact and as such, no opinion can be decidedly right or wrong.

On a final note I support your right to those opinions, and commend you for sticking with them. However one persons bad experiences with a device does not constitute a need for banning them. That would be akin to lobbying to ban glasses because sometimes I get a glare from the lenses, since people could just wear contacts instead. I applaud you for asking people not to use them around you. As for me, I've always tried to be polite with anything that may bother someone else, it's only common courtesy(sadly not so common any more). I fully support others rights to not be subjected to things(like cigarette smoke or vapor) against their will. I don't use mine anywhere I wouldn't have smoked.

TLDR

I have plenty of understanding for them as long as they don't use that stuff indoors. I cannot stress enough how badly an effect that stuff has on me. Apparently, no one seems to care about that though. The important thing is how much better your vices are for you...not any detrimental effect it has on others.But keep citing your little "studies" and all. I'm really sure those aren't funded by those ecig companies, huh?I have no pecuniary interest in any of this so do not have any reason to lie to you about the effect it has on me. It literally makes me cough as badly as if I had hay fever and I don't even have seasonal allergies.Just because "they" say there aren't any I'll effects on people does not mean it's true.Oh, and someone using methadone doesn't have any direct negative effect on me, so no...I don't give a crap about that. The ecig garbage does have a direct negative impact to me and yes, I will oppose it and do everything possible to get it regulated and banned in the same places regular tobacco smoking is banned. Every time someone tries to claim it has "no negative effects" on innocent bystanders, I will reiterate the negative effect it has on me.Outdoors, I don't care what you do because I can choose not to be around you in favor of being able to breathe.On a side note, I find it humorous how many people seek praise and congratulations from others for "quitting" (replacing) a horrible vice that they chose to begin in the first place...

"I will oppose it and do everything possible to get it regulated and banned...."

Funny in one post you're willing to go the distance and do everything possible and 2 hours later you can't be bothered to read a post because it's too long.

Everything possible should include, but not be limited to educating yourself on the issue and having the decency to participate in an adult discussion or debate, as well as trying to see from all points of view. You're hiding behind a screen name and spouting trash. Maybe you have a legitimate claim against ecigs bothering you, maybe not, but at this point you've just removed all credibility you may have had.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter to me whether you believe me or not. I know how that crap affects me and that's all that matters to me.

I am done with this. I can only waste so much time having pointless conversations with addicts that are only interested in furthering their addictions.

Have fun.

In response to the comments above, I believe that the answer to the situation is simply, "TO EACH, HIS/HER, OWN".

God Bless you all.

I quit 32 years ago. I had a stressful job and smoked 2 packs a day. Woke up one morning and went to work, having trouble climbing stairs. Went to the ER and they told me I had a collapsed lung and got to spend 4 days in the hospital with a tube between my ribs on a vacuum bottle.

Told me it was spontanius and just happened.

Smoked my last one on the way out to the hospital that morning.

Hello, I've quit in the past using nicotine gum, and other nicotine replacement (no el-cig) but started again. This time now soon 1,5 years free from smoking, I quit with the help of snus. Yes, snus is nicotine, but no more inhaling and damaging the lungs! Snus is common in Norway, Sweden, Finland. Breathing freely is why I wantet quit smoking. :) Have a nice day!

Eva from Norway.

Since I started vaping I've never touched a cigarette again. My breathing improved, my relatives stopped complaining about the smell of smoke. Recommend checking out a few articles on vapingdaily.com if you still haven't switched yet. Anything but tobacco. Gummies will do too.

Since this is the the time most people who smoke try to quit. I started to smoke at the tender age of 8. Learned helping my grandfather roll and lighting them for him. My normal daily adult habit ranged from 2 to 4 packs a day everyday. I would even get up in the middle of the night and have a couple of smokes. After 50 plus years off smoking like Marzen I went to the vape about 3 years ago not for health reasons but more for the cost of smoking. As far as it being socially acceptable I really didn't worry / care. I now can vape to my hearts content for about $30 a month (we make our own vape to the strength and taste needed). Still wake-up to have a couple puffs, some habits don't leave. Before warned there are drawbacks to quitting smoking. Expect to gain weight, return of sense of taste and for me a hyper sense of smell, which I hate.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

kgg

I was a pack a day smoker for around 15 years. I quit cold turkey using the book Alan Carr's easyway to stop smoking. You are told to smoke at different points throughout the book and then have one last cigarette after you finish the whole book. Well that last cigarette happened to coincide with the last in my pack and the next morning I just wasn't motivated to buy another pack and I haven't since.

Edited by topazann

My tale of wo

I started smoking at the age of 14.  I stopped smoking at the age of 50.

This is how i managed to stop.

It was Christmas eve,  I was building a porch rail onto my house. I felt weak. my nail gun was heavy. so i decided to stop.

I went to my Parents house  and told my mom i was tired. needed to lay down.

The rest of the story as told to me. I do not remember

My sister said I got up and said i can not breath, then feel down. I was not breathing. an Ambulance was called.  I was given oxygen

At the ER. They cut my throat and inserted an airway.  I died 2 times, Was jump started. 2 times I spent 2 months in a coma.  then woke up

I had the trach in my neck for 4 months. Till I threatened to rip it out.

I have stage 4 severe COPD   Memory lapse. and sometimes I can not find the correct word I know what the word is, but can not remember it

Doc says it is due to lack of Oxygen.

I LOVE metal work, running a forge   I can not do that type of work anymore because of the fumes. This is why I got into leather work

no fumes, I can work sitting down.