I have a friend who wants me to make him a "Coyote Tan" colored holster. He is Special Forces Airborne and would like the holster to be coyote tan to match his uniform. He is re-deploying next month. I cant find anything at my local Tandy store, was hoping someone here would share some of their knowledge and let me know where to find this dye if it is available, or if this is just a pipe dream.

The following photo is the color I am trying to get close to.

Thank you!

image8.png

Edited by Shooter McGavin

That's a tough one. I'm no Tandy basher because I buy a lot of my stuff there but I find they don't carry all of the colors from Fiebings. I found springfield leather has a lot of dye choices. Unfortunately the computer color charts are so hard to match but you might find something you can thin down.

It doesn't look to me to be a "color" that would have enough pigment to be a dye.

Looks like a rough out holster would be a match. You might need to try different leathers, but that's what I'd recommend.

Good Luck.

Thanks guys. After talking with him he has decided on the "Buckskin" dye from Fiebings.

Thank you for the help you two.

Consider also cutting the dye with rubbing alcohol and applying it in 3-6 coats, until you get it to the color you want. You get much more control that way.

Another thing you can do, . . . thin down some of the buckskin to about an 80/20 thinner to dye ratio in a small bottle. Just touch it with their yellow, adding drops with an eye dropper one at a time, . . . mixing, . . . spotting on a scrap piece of leather and quick drying with a hair dryer.

You will probably come real close that way, . . . and when you find the combination that works good, . . . if you have access to an air brush, . . . try using it on some scrap leather pieces.

The trick is to mix up the dye a bit lighter than you really want it to end up, . . . that way you can add successive coats and it will darken.

Tricks learned after 30 years in a paint plant, . . . making automotive refinish paint, . . . but applicable to this operation also.

May God bless,

Dwight

The trick is to mix up the dye a bit lighter than you really want it to end up, . . . that way you can add successive coats and it will darken.

This, definitely this.