Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Nate Wald Rawhide Braiding Seminar (In Socal)

For all interested ...

Bonita, California (San Diego area)

12 &13 February

Mehl Lawson's place 619-421-4697

Nate Wald/presenter 406-639-2219

Cost: $100.00/day

Subject: Whatever you're working on at the time. Bring a started project and ask questions. Wherever you are in braiding, that's what the seminar will be for you.

Bonita is a pretty nice place to be in February for all you northern folks.

oh of course...why couldnt they have done that when i lived in san diego...DANG IT!

I am planning on going to this. If anyone else is going and wants to share a hotel room let me know.

Megabit, do we need to contact Mehl or Nate to sign up? Oh and thanks so much for passing this info on, I am really looking forward to participating in this great opportunity.

CW

Edited by Aggiebraider

oh u lucky dawg!!!!

Hello! I signed up for the clinic at Santa Ynez! I heard from someone that you might have to get approved to go or get a some sort of invitation! Is this so, and if so how do I go about becoming qualified to go??? Thanks for your time and efforts!

For all interested ...

12 &13 February

Subject: Whatever you're working on at the time. Bring a started project and ask questions. Wherever you are in braiding, that's what the seminar will be for you.

Contact Mehl is what Nate told me. He posted this on another board and I cross posted it here.

I am planning on going to this. If anyone else is going and wants to share a hotel room let me know.

Megabit, do we need to contact Mehl or Nate to sign up? Oh and thanks so much for passing this info on, I am really looking forward to participating in this great opportunity.

CW

I am going to try and bring this back up to the top. I know several of you fellas that went to this. Come on and don't be stingy. Please share any tips and things that you learned while you were there. And Megabit, a picture or two would really clarify things. :evillaugh:

Thanks Buckwheat you are sure a pal. Maybe Agibraider can post a few picks.

One thing I learned was that the way I was doing my multi string knots wasn't the best. I'd keep going from left to right all the way down instead of side to side. Sure is alot easier to keep straight going side to side. Also I learned you should braid well past you end point and then find the correct point and pull out your string to do the turn back.

And as far as the multi string buttons go, for a noseband for example, both Mehl and Nate use a vice to hold the body of their bosal up and down and then braid the strings towards yourself just like if you were doing the body. Start braiding them over one under one (from the middle of 4 strands if you wanted to do an 8 bight) and once you get to the bottom, crown the strands back up and go the other way, following the strands you already put in and making pairs. Then you turn back the other way, increasing the number of bights at the top and start splitting pairs back down. I am going to try and get a body made this week and hopefully will be able to do a tutorial on it this weekend.

Im sure it sounds kinda confusing, but if you see it it will make sense.

I didnt have my camera with me, but hopefully we can get want2braid to post some that he took.

CW

I have posted pics to facebook, how should I post pics on here? You are limited to the number you upload! Also, on the multiple string to do an 8 bight you use 8 strings, you braid down, turn back one end and make pairs then turn back both ends and split pairs until each ends strands intersect. An 8 bight would be the equevalent of a 32 plait braid. It has 8 up v's , 8 down v's, and and over 2 under 2 pattern, you count it out as 8 + 8 for the number of rows of v's up and down, which follow each bight, and multiply by how many strands it goes over. A 6 bight over 3 under 3 would be like a 36 plait, but a 6 bight over 2 under 2 would be like a 24 plait. Let me know what you want pics of, I braid multiple strings nosebuttons every week now, in nylon, or rawhide, and can post the stages you'd like to see.

Brent

could you post the link to the photos so we can go see them?

want2braid

Please post them here. We don't all have access to facebook and I want to see what you guys were doing!

There is a total size limit per post. If you compress your pictures to 100 kb max you can get a lot on one post. Then add another post after that one with more. However, you have to wait a couple minutes bewteen posts. The software automatically tries to combine your posts if you send them too close together and if you have a lot of pictures on both, it will tell you that it won't take them. If you wait maybe 5 mintues? (not sure exactly, but definitely less than 10) between posts you can put in multiple posts with as many pictures as you can under the limit in each of them.

I grabbed a few of them for you Brent you don't have to upload them here you just need to get the url from facebook and put them on here that way you don't run into the upload limits.

182849_530979741637_145601739_31174316_5972018_n.jpg

183043_530979482157_145601739_31174307_170388_n.jpg

185808_530979616887_145601739_31174311_7731663_n.jpg

184820_530980714687_145601739_31174341_975700_n.jpg

180860_530980664787_145601739_31174339_5970559_n.jpg

181983_530979946227_145601739_31174327_6290837_n.jpg

183487_530979846427_145601739_31174321_861080_n.jpg

184663_530979966187_145601739_31174328_5334413_n.jpg

185994_530980884347_145601739_31174345_2481179_n.jpg

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and for sharing the pictures. I am still practicing with paracord trying to figure out the nosebutton so it is great to see how the full-time guys get it done.

Want2braid - Yes, please post any pictures you have of the process.

Hello everyone from the Bonita - Nate Wald braiding seminar. What a great workshop. Nate was a wonderful teacher, taking a lot of time with us individually as well as a group. The lightbulb finally went on with that 4-strand ring knot. It really is a nice foundation for the round buttons that I am braiding over it. The masking tape is now out in the garage with the paint supplies. LOL. I would like to keep in touch with members from the class. I can pretty much figure out who you all are from your names or where you are from. It was a pleasure meeting you all. Ann

For all interested ...

12 &13 February

Hey Ann,

Welcome to LW! Its always nice to get more braiders in here

Hey want2braid,

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I had it right in my head, but when I tried to write it down it didnt come out right lol. I guess I should have written down more and taken a few pics thanks for doing that for everyone lol.

CW

Edited by Aggiebraider

Aggie perhaps you watch me working on mine. I started with 4 strands end ended up with 8 bights gaucho with a pattern change part way in. Also I think Nate does it like in Alan's tutorial with 2/3 on the left and 1/3 on the right.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

The masking tape is now out in the garage with the paint supplies...

Do I take this to mean that the fellows who instructed your class use some type of braiding for their ground work as opposed to using tape? I have wondered about this. Synthetic tapes seem out of place in such a traditional craft...

Yes. Nate really doesn't like anything "synthetic" (that is the impression I got). I wanted to do round knots and he had me tie a 4-strand ring knot as the foundation base. It is actually turning out really well. He builds foundations up with leather or rawhide and I believe uses Barge cement. The reason he does not like tape was that over time it will basically disintegrate and turn into dust. One foundation that I have used and like is to glue the area that the knot is to be braided over, glue a strand of excess leather lace, taper the ends and make a foundation. If it needs to be built up further, small strips of kangaroo or another thin leather would work. I think it is ok to use 1 wrap of tape. He just didn't want the foundation to be all tape.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Do I take this to mean that the fellows who instructed your class use some type of braiding for their ground work as opposed to using tape? I have wondered about this. Synthetic tapes seem out of place in such a traditional craft...

I didn't really say what I do with the lace. I wrap it around and around until I have covered the area to be braided.

Yes. Nate really doesn't like anything "synthetic" (that is the impression I got). I wanted to do round knots and he had me tie a 4-strand ring knot as the foundation base. It is actually turning out really well. He builds foundations up with leather or rawhide and I believe uses Barge cement. The reason he does not like tape was that over time it will basically disintegrate and turn into dust. One foundation that I have used and like is to glue the area that the knot is to be braided over, glue a strand of excess leather lace, taper the ends and make a foundation. If it needs to be built up further, small strips of kangaroo or another thin leather would work. I think it is ok to use 1 wrap of tape. He just didn't want the foundation to be all tape.

Hey,

Your welcome! Just for your info, the 8 strings crowned to start is an 8 bight, like mine was 5. Its not doubled in bites and strings and thats why you can use 5 and 7 and not just 6 and 8. As Mike was saying you will count double the bites on a gaucho because you turn it back and go outside over a strand and back under two, so it makes it twice. A 6 bight gaucho 12 and 5 bite 10 etc. I ll try and take pics when I get back from Wyoming. And, let me know how the rawhide venture goes. I plan on meeting up with Clint, when I get to Oklahoma, so maybe you can meet us there?

Brent

Hey Ann,

Welcome to LW! Its always nice to get more braiders in here

Hey want2braid,

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I had it right in my head, but when I tried to write it down it didnt come out right lol. I guess I should have written down more and taken a few pics thanks for doing that for everyone lol.

CW

Nate helped with that for a good reason. Your button takes the shape of your groundwork. I made 20 buttons of 2.5/32'' and some were really good 8 bight pineapple and gaucho knots and others seemed lop-sided. The tape smashed out of shape as I tied it, and tighten as I went. Thats where the more stable rawhide or leather foundation comes in. Also, some people use a wrap of leather and put a brass tack through the body work and leather to anchor it, or Nate said you could grove the leather and take a needle and string under a few strands through the leather wrapped around the body, wrap around a few time tight and tie it off. With a grove there the string is flush with the leather foundation.

I didn't really say what I do with the lace. I wrap it around and around until I have covered the area to be braided.

Hey,

Your welcome! Just for your info, the 8 strings crowned to start is an 8 bight, like mine was 5. Its not doubled in bites and strings and thats why you can use 5 and 7 and not just 6 and 8. As Mike was saying you will count double the bites on a gaucho because you turn it back and go outside over a strand and back under two, so it makes it twice. A 6 bight gaucho 12 and 5 bite 10 etc. I ll try and take pics when I get back from Wyoming. And, let me know how the rawhide venture goes. I plan on meeting up with Clint, when I get to Oklahoma, so maybe you can meet us there?

Brent

Yeah that would be great, just let me know when youre moving down and I will try to have some stuff finished to bring with me.

CW