Hey all,

I have not been able to do much leatherwork lately but I started this and thought that I would share some pics. It is going to be a two piece photo album with chicago screws instead of a three ring spine to hold the album pages. Each piece is 11 3/4 by 12 1/2 inches and has gouges on the spine edge that are at 1 inch and 2 1/4 inches from edge. These lines will be the fold lines to hide the chicago screws. It will be lined with black smooth pig lining and will be laced around the edges. The tooling pattern is 8 by 10 inches and is done with a shell stamp and a "Sheridan Style" pattern that I drew. I am starting to get confident in drawing patterns but still need to work on it.

The tooling should be finnished in a day orso and I will post more pics when done

Thanks, ClayM.

jse_003.jpg

jse_002.jpg

:whatdoyouthink:

post-255-1210134042_thumb.jpg

post-255-1210134062_thumb.jpg

Love it, it is beautiful. thanks for sharing it as you go. It is a good way to help us learn.

Connie

WOW !!! No really i mean it WOW!! That's just freakin super nice Clay. Looks like i'll be going to my local Tandy again and slappin somebody rite in the mouth for selling me bad tools and leather. That's gotta be what it is... For real thought that's a great design you've done. I can't draw any type of floral, much less a complete "sheridan ". I really like the texture look of the shell weave. I don't see how you keep it so straight and in line.

Again WEll done and i hope you post more pics and you work on it.

By the way did i mention how bad i need a photo album ?? :deadsubject:

Hey Bert,

I really like that!! I like the border shape around the tooling, I like the shell effect, and your tooling is always really nice. The thing I like the best is that we are getting to see more of your work. Did you do some sort of random stamping pattern in the background? That looks kind of interesting too.

Ernie

PS, Hope you have a great class with Jim this weekend. Sure do wish I could be there.

Awesome design!!! Tradtional with a twist that fits into a broader market. Waay coool!

David Genadek

VERY NICE !

Is that the shell tool you used for the background ?

Can't wait to see it finished.

I always liked the screwed type two piece albums !

Great Job!! I really like that design!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:  Love this piece. Especially the pattern you have created on the background. How did you come to that one. It is beautiful and original.

Storm

Freakin SUPERB!

I love the sheridan and the "Basket weave" is to die for!

Great work! As yours always seems to be!

beautiful stuff - I'm thinking that backgound tool would make some nice koi or dragon scales

hi dude well coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Darn it anyway, Clay! I'm really jealous of your talent! That album is beautiful!

Care to share your pattern???? :whistle:

Wow Clay, I envy your skills to do such nice work. My wife would love me to do such pretty work instead of the ugly sh...stuff I do.

Clay, beautiful looking carving, I always love seeing your work when you do post it. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Ken

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I did not get to work on it tonight but hoefully I will tomorrow. To answer some of the questions, The back ground or basket stamping is a BK shell stamp, this can also be done with a veiner that has bee modified a bit. The stamping on the edges and the spine area is a M657 background stamp. It is the one with lines going this way and that across it. It has three sizes available. I like to use this stamp wto cover up marks that I accidently make like the lines from my pinkie fingernail. LOL Thanks again,

ClayM.

Nice looking design and work, Clay. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Well, I got the carving finished and will pe puting on some oil and getting the other side done tomorow night. That one will just be the shell weave with the whatever you wanna call it shape and no floral. Then I will put on the liner and lace it up. I am thinking that I may use some 1/4 inch foam between the stiffener and the leather to make it a soft "squishy" cover. If I do that I will cut the foam to the same size as the square border then bevel cut it at a 45 and glue it in place.

Thanks,

ClayM.

jse_008.jpg

jse_010.jpg

post-255-1210484188_thumb.jpg

post-255-1210484200_thumb.jpg

That's looking awesome Clay, beautiful carving.

Ken

Can't wait to see it finished! Thanks for pix of your WIP.

You've outdone yourself now, Clay! It amazes me that someone can run a store and still find the time to do such beautiful work.

Kathy

You've outdone yourself now, Clay! It amazes me that someone can run a store and still find the time to do such beautiful work.

Kathy

Dont forget the triplets and the two teen boys that occupy rooms in my house that would be great stamping rooms..... LOL!!

ClayM.

Oh yeah, the triplets. They have to take up a lot of time. When they get a little older, you could have freak come up and teach them the finer ways of life. Did you see his hobbies with his daughter?

Aren't you done with that album yet!

Kathy

I've gotta know more about this "BK shell stamp". Is it just one tool or do you use multiple tools to do one shell?? ...........and mostly, where do I get one???

Timbo

I've gotta know more about this "BK shell stamp". Is it just one tool or do you use multiple tools to do one shell?? ...........and mostly, where do I get one???

Timbo

Timbo

It is a Barry King stamp he has two or three sizes to pick from. I don't have his contact info but he is a member of this forum and I am sure if you sent him a pm he would let you know how much and where to send the money.

ClayM.

shell_stamp.JPG

post-255-1211000814_thumb.jpg