hi looking for a pattern for a top hat my son whant to have one that look like the one slash have

so if anybody can help please do

you can e-mail me to

I've never made one but i don't think the pattern wouldn't be hard to make. Draw a oval for the brim cut a hole to fit his head. Save the piece you out of the brim for a pattern for the top, it might need to be a little bigger for a sewing allounce. Put a piece of wire in the edge of the brim to shape it with ( seen where somebody else did that). Then make it as tall as you want. And you have a hat.

Edited by dirtclod

thank you very much everyone , your sugestion are all welcome , still need more , and when i finish it will post the resut

thank again

thank you very much everyone , your sugestion are all welcome , still need more , and when i finish it will post the resut

thank again

Tandy put out a top-hat pattern. I made a couple of hats from it. Here's a photo of PZ Myers wearing one of mine.

http://rationalia.com/gawdzilla/2viewtopic.php_files/file_005.jpg

I hope that works, let me know if it does.

BTW, if you do the Tandy pattern for the large top hat, be advised there are two more holes in the brim than in the matching part. I skipped those two and evened out the rest by finding the opposite side and lacing in both directions from there.

I did one with a cowhide cover, hair on, and stiffened it with a 4-5 liner of leather. I also did one with horns. I inserted plugs into the horns when I got them cut to the right length and put matching piece of wood on the inside to screw the horns to. Came out looking rather crazy, people called it my "buffalo hat". Sorry, no pix on that one, it was back in the '70s.

well i tryd to find the old pattern from tandy but can not get it so if you no where i could get it would be appreciated

thank

p/s o tryd ebay nul cant get it

PM me an address and I'll send you a copy.

i will thank you

wow nice hat , hope i can achive the same

Here are two hats I did from the Tandy pattern.

http://i691.photobuc...r/Redtopper.jpg

http://i691.photobuc...Blacktopper.jpg

wow nice hat , hope i can achive the same

The black one is the basic model, not tricked out at all. The cowhide one needed an insert of heavy leather to make it stand up. I didn't need one for the top, it seems happy without anything. If you wanted to you could make a "sock" to go over the basic model and change hides and such as you desired. I did one with cow horns, very "medicine man" looking things. Kids loved that one.

Two notes. I did the lacing for the crown and top inside out, and then reversed it. It's a heck of a lot easier that way. And as I noted elsewhere, the brim has two more holes than the crown, at least on the large version.

AND, there will be envelopes mail in the AM, I was hung up at the VA longer than I liked, but I have the promised copies for everybody in hand.

One more tip. If you're not sure which of two sizes you need (large or medium, medium or small), cut the outside of the lower brim to the larger size and the hole to the smaller size. If fits, trim the outer brim to smaller size. If it doesn't, cut the inner brim to the larger size. And a two inch band of suede laced to the crown will give you a place to put padding for those "intermediate" size heads.

Doc, and Richard, your patterns are in the mail. If USPS is correct you should get them Tuesday. IF.

thank you very much will let you no when i receive it

thank you very much will let you no when i receive it

No problem. We're are our main source of resources these days.

If you want to run a dead easy project for someone, the visor is very simple. I put four holes in each side of the straps instead of a buckle, so people can adjust it as the please. And one piece of lacing is cheaper than a buckle. I've also done them with velcro. I've learned not to assume people always like velcro in the process. Riveting the visor is an option, but I use Hemp Cord (from Micheal's (in the necklace section) so I can have a choice of colors. Dip it in liquid wax before lacing and the job will go faster.

Edited by Gawdzilla

well thank for the pattern it a grest help will let you no when i finish the hat send pic and all

so thank you again

well thank for the pattern it a grest help will let you no when i finish the hat send pic and all

so thank you again

No problem. We are our own greatest resource, I do believe.