FatSmitty

Swivel Knife For A Ten Year Old?

My ten year old daughter wants to learn leather work, so for Christmas she got a deluxe leathercraft kit from Tandy. I was working with her tonight on using the swivel knife that came with her kit, and she had difficulties holding the knife and working with it. I have it adjusted all the way down to make it as short as possible, but it is still to long for her hand size. Any ideas on a make of swivel knife that may be smaller or shorter in length that she would be able to handle easier? She is naturally artistic, and I think she can pick up on this quickly, she just needs a proper tool. Thanks for any help.

Nevada

Edited by FatSmitty

http://leatherwranglers.com (If you call ask for Paul or Rosa.)

I have always had trouble with the big fat dull knives that are pretty standard in our work, and then I held one of Paul's knives. It fit perfectly in my hand, and I felt like I could "draw" with it.

Johanna

Barry King makes a knife that is short with a narrow shaft. It works well for people with small hands.

Hey Fat, Henley makes a 3/8 by 1.5 barrell size. I don't know their web address right off hand, but I'm sure some others have it handy. Maybe they'll post it for you to check out. Billy P

Thanks for all the replies! We tried my Barry King at it's shortest adjustment and it is to tall/long for her to manage. I let her try my other 2 ASB swivels -1 a 1/2" thick and the other is a 1/4" with a pencil cushion on it and she seems to handle a skinnier knife better, but both are still to tall. Daddy wants a SK-3 also!!! I did find the Henley site and they have a 1.5" barrel length as well as Bob Beard. I think I'm going to give the folks at Henley a call and see what we can come up with. And if and when I can get a SK-3, I'll let her give it a whirl and see if it works better. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, and I am still open to more suggestions or personal experiance in over coming this. Thanks a bunch,

Nevada

My short barreled Barry King knife and my SK3 both adjust down to 2 3/4 tall from the tip of the blade to the top of the yoke at the shortest adjustment if that helps you out at all.

leather

My ten year old daughter wants to learn leather work, so for Christmas she got a deluxe leathercraft kit from Tandy. I was working with her tonight on using the swivel knife that came with her kit, and she had difficulties holding the knife and working with it. I have it adjusted all the way down to make it as short as possible, but it is still to long for her hand size. Any ideas on a make of swivel knife that may be smaller or shorter in length that she would be able to handle easier? She is naturally artistic, and I think she can pick up on this quickly, she just needs a proper tool. Thanks for any help.

Nevada

After using my adjustable swivel knife, my wife prefers to use the "Easy carve knife" that Tandy sells/sold witht he old nature tanned stamping tool kit. perhaps your daughter would like to try one of these? I think that ST leather in St Louis selle them for $3.50.

I hope this helps.

John Morton

Just to follow up with some resolution or the solve if you will, I happened to find a non-adjustable at Tandy that measures 1.5" and I took it and cleaned up the action on the yoke and lubricated it with powdered graphite. It spins very freely, and when she got home from school she gave it a try and it fit much better and seems like it will work for now. If she sticks with this, I plan on getting her a Henley for her birthday. Thanks for all the suggestions and input. Thanks a bunch,

Nevada

Just to follow up with some resolution or the solve if you will, I happened to find a non-adjustable at Tandy that measures 1.5" and I took it and cleaned up the action on the yoke and lubricated it with powdered graphite. It spins very freely, and when she got home from school she gave it a try and it fit much better and seems like it will work for now. If she sticks with this, I plan on getting her a Henley for her birthday. Thanks for all the suggestions and input. Thanks a bunch,

Nevada

You might consider ordering the Henley with two barrels of different lengths so that as she grows out of one she will have the other at hand.. If they won't sell it to you that way then order her a regular length one and PM me and I will send you an extra 1/2" barrel that I have that you can cut down.

Kind Regards

Blake