hello all.

i received my new Osbourne head knife, so i decided to make a sheath to protect it.

this was my very first project involving stamping and stitching.

first, i traced the knife blade on a piece of cardstock. then added about 1/2" to it for stitching.

then i use a stitch groover for the stitching border, then for the inner pattern border.

i punched the stitching holes using a 4 prong 8066 punch and stamped it with the x502s triweave stamp.

after stitching was complete with waxed thread, i used an edge beveler and burnished with gum taraganth.

then i used eco-flo "Briar Brown" to stain it, followed by Dark Brown Edge Cote.

Leatherwork002.jpg

Leatherwork005.jpg

i really need to find a better way to punch holes for stitiching. i had a difficult time lining up the holes of the two leather pieces...

i think it turned out ok for a first try. some of the stamping was a bit off, but i can live with it. i think i need more dye practise too.. :yes:

be gentle with me... its my first time! :blush:

hello all.

i received my new Osbourne head knife, so i decided to make a sheath to protect it.

this was my very first project involving stamping and stitching.

first, i traced the knife blade on a piece of cardstock. then added about 1/2" to it for stitching.

then i use a stitch groover for the stitching border, then for the inner pattern border.

i punched the stitching holes using a 4 prong 8066 punch and stamped it with the x502s triweave stamp.

after stitching was complete with waxed thread, i used an edge beveler and burnished with gum taraganth.

then i used eco-flo "Briar Brown" to stain it, followed by Dark Brown Edge Cote.

Leatherwork002.jpg

Leatherwork005.jpg

i really need to find a better way to punch holes for stitiching. i had a difficult time lining up the holes of the two leather pieces...

i think it turned out ok for a first try. some of the stamping was a bit off, but i can live with it. i think i need more dye practise too.. :yes:

be gentle with me... its my first time! :blush:

try gluing the edges together first before punching holes

I think this is a must first project for anyone with a head knife! Just a suggestion- I can still see some of the knife when you have it in the sheath. Might want to make another and seat the blade a little deeper. Adding a strap to it would be good, also. Keep up the good work!

Crystal

In addition to gluing the edges together, try an awl instead of a 4 prong punch.

I think this is a must first project for anyone with a head knife! Just a suggestion- I can still see some of the knife when you have it in the sheath. Might want to make another and seat the blade a little deeper. Adding a strap to it would be good, also. Keep up the good work!

Crystal

the blade can go all the way in, i just didnt push it all the way in for the photo. :whistle:

In addition to gluing the edges together, try an awl instead of a 4 prong punch.

i had a tandy awl, but the thing broke the first time i used it. :head_hurts_kr:

after that, i went to the 4 prong chisel.

looks great. If I were to have made it, I'd add little "tabs" behind the spines of the blade and put snaps on them to keep the sheath on the blade.

I would recommend (so you dont make the mistake I did on my headblade case) dont use only one strap. I made mine with only one strap, and when I travel to classes and what not the blade can slip out the side the strap is not on.

Dan