Beaverslayer

Where is everyone from?

well i live in Hilo, Hawaii on the island of Hawaii. some call it the big island..because it is the biggest island in the chain of Hawaiian islands..i live about 20 mile from Kilauea volcano that is the most active volcano in the world..i have a wonderful wife(Kaiulani) ,6 kids 4 girls 2 boys and 2 dogs. all out of the nest..but not the dogs... my last boy well grad from collage in May this year.. hes in Missouri.. for a living i have worked for myself for the last 30 years as a hand engraver and a scrimshaw artist..about a year ago i added leather still learning but with all your help its coming around..we do have a big call for cowboy(paniolo's) stuff here lots of ranch land and one of the largest ranches in the US.(Parker ranch) that is why i wanted to added leather along with my engraving work..

Edited by hiloboy

I live in Auburn, Washington (state), which is about half-way between Tacoma and Seattle. Been here for almost 12 years now.

Hi all,

I met my American husband around 6 years ago, and see where it took me, to Michigan:-). I have lived here now for soon to be 3 years.

Born and raised in Stockholm/Sweden. One big interest is travelling, have done Europe up and down a few times and also lived in England for a year.

If you wonder, Sweden is not that much different from US...Much less than one might think:-)

I've been sitting back, reading posts for a while now, and this seems like the perfect subject to step in on. I seem to be located in the no-man's land of leathercraft. I'm in Bucks County, PA, Levittown to be exact. The nearest leather supply store( that I've found) is the Tandy in Allentown, 1 1/2 hours from me. I've tried to find people near me who do leatherwork, but so far, no luck. Anyone on this forum near me? Thanks for lettin' me vent.

Hey all,

I was born and spent my younger years in Chicago. I've spent my entire adult life in the north suburbs of Chicago. I'm still there. After highschool I did a stint in the Marine Corps. I've been a police officer for the past 29 years happily "cuffin and stuffin" the bad guys. In hind site, I probably should have joined the fire department because everyone likes fireman. :spoton:

Around 4 years ago, I purchased a vintage leather craft kit off of ebay. I made quite a few wallets, money clips, checkboot holders ect. In 2006 I learned to make western style boots while studying under master bootmaker Carl Chappell. In 2007 I started Bulldog Leather Co. and hope to use that as an avenue to market my holsters, knife sheaths and hopefully western boots one day.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

The Colorado Rockies are my home. There's no place else for me. There's nothing better than to look out your window in the morning to see huge bull elk browsing in your front yard. With national forest out the back gate, I can ride my horse for miles without seeing a single soul. We have rock outcroppings wich offer spectacular veiws, babbling brooks and waterfalls, and scenery some people only see in pictures. Yes, there are mountain lions and bears and tons of snow, but they just add to the beauty. My yaks seem to like it, too.

Kathy

I've been sitting back, reading posts for a while now, and this seems like the perfect subject to step in on. I seem to be located in the no-man's land of leathercraft. I'm in Bucks County, PA, Levittown to be exact. The nearest leather supply store( that I've found) is the Tandy in Allentown, 1 1/2 hours from me. I've tried to find people near me who do leatherwork, but so far, no luck. Anyone on this forum near me? Thanks for lettin' me vent.

I know where you are! I'm in Berks County - Hamburg to be exact, right down the hill from Cabelas. I also shop at the Allentown Tandy. I'd love to get together, but will unfortunately be moving OUT of the area next month...

Holly,

We spoke quite a while ago on another forum, and you are still the closest person I've found! I have your site in my favorites and check it from time to time. I was at Cabela's right before Christmas, spent most of the day just wandering around.It's a shame you're moving, bad timing, I guess. I'll still be checking your site, though.

Ann McGrath, who isn't on this forum yet, is in Bethlehem, PA...not too far out of your way. They should have her contact info at the Allentown Tandy if you go sometime. She mostly does small items in leather, like jewelry. Also here in Hamburg is Dennis Yoder, who does amazing gunleather items.

Randyc

I must admit it is nice to get a five finger wave opposed to the one finger wave. My dad was a lawdog in Okla. when I was little and later a prison guard (corrections officer) here in Ks. so I know what ya mean. Take care Mike

You might call it corn field county U.S.A. Here in North central Illinois. We live about 20 miles from any where that has more than a gas station and bar. Which most days doen't seem far enough. It is quiet, and the neighbors are friendly. We are near Tampico, Ill. Which is about 2 hours due west of Chicago, and 45 minutes from Iowa just to the north of I-80. I have enjoyed hereing and seeing where everyone else calls home. And if Horsehairbraider has a heated tack room I would be willing to rent it as a living space. Just kidding...maybe.

The pictures probably belong in the "What's out your window" thread, but I'll stickem here because I'm here.

Have a great day all,

Rob Gerbitz

007__3_.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010__2_.JPG

post-5521-1200847338_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1200847385_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1200847451_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1200847499_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone, just getting in on this thread. I live in beautiful downtown Patrick, S.C. pop. 350, I live 2 blocks off of the main street and have to drive a 30mi. round trip to go to the grocery store. If any of you watch Nascar I'm 30mi. from Darlington S.C. home of the old Southern 500, I'm about 45 mi. from Rockingham N.C. home of the Rock, and I'm about 75 mi. from Lowe's Motor Speedway home of the World 600. Mrytle Beach is about 95 mi SE of me, and that is where Jeff Mosby and Grey Ghost Graphics are located. The nearest Tandy is about 1 and 1/2 hour away in Charlotte N.C. I worked construction for years, mostly as a millwright in Nuclear Power Plants. I worked from north Fla. up to Penn. and as far west as Neb. I always seemed to come back here where I was born and raised. I don't know anyone else around here who does leatherwork, at least carving and tooling and stuff like we talk about doing. Northstar Leather Co. does a wholesale business to Disneyland and places like that plus they get stuff from some prison systems that have set up like a leather factory, to make small book covers, pocketbooks, ie. The owner's son comes in once in awhile and machine embosses some belts and then they will put a name or one of a few more stamps on it. Cheap leather and cheap belts, but they sell some right along. I'm not knocking their work, just saying that they don't do what a lot of us do. Steve, the owner has been doing this for about 30+ years, has raised a family and has kept about 8 to 10 people working steady all that time so I guess he's doing something right. I don't have a clicker so when I need key fobs and some other shapes I just call him and order a hundred or so and then I'll ride up and pick them up and Steve and I will shoot the breeze for an hour or so. I actually send him some customers along, mostly people who want a better belt than Wal-Mart, but who don't want to pay for a custom made one. Anyway I wish there were more people around here who worked with leather, as a bunch of you all know it gets lonesome sometimes, but I can't quit, I'm addicted. Working with leather is as addictive as Crack, just in a good way. I gotta go for now, so I'll catch ya'll later, Regards Billy P

Nice country. I drove thru Ill. once. I remember it being really flat and able to see for a long ways. I also remember the wind. Man it was wicked.

Richest soil I ever saw was in Ill. Lots of farm land there.

You might call it corn field county U.S.A. Here in North central Illinois. We live about 20 miles from any where that has more than a gas station and bar. Which most days doen't seem far enough. It is quiet, and the neighbors are friendly. We are near Tampico, Ill. Which is about 2 hours due west of Chicago, and 45 minutes from Iowa just to the north of I-80. I have enjoyed hereing and seeing where everyone else calls home. And if Horsehairbraider has a heated tack room I would be willing to rent it as a living space. Just kidding...maybe.

The pictures probably belong in the "What's out your window" thread, but I'll stickem here because I'm here.

Have a great day all,

Rob Gerbitz

Hello all, I am originally from Guthrie, Oklahoma and have been since transplanted into Vancouver, Washington. I spent 3 years in Germany, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Japan while in the Air Force. Most of the three years was spent at Hahn AFB in Germany. I have a wife, a daughter and a son. The mother-in-law currently lives with us, but I hope that will be fixed soon. :)

When growing up, I lived on 40 acres which then got cut down to 5 thanks to the oil companies. I worked every summer at the Lazy E Ranch where I herded cattle.

I got into leather work when I was 14 years old. A friend of mine sat down one evening and showed me how to work in leather. He even gave me several large scraps to pound on. Later that week, he made the wallet that I still carry over 25 years later. Thus I like making wallets, belts and such. I don't do leather-working professionally, but I consider myself decent for only doing it part-time.

By day I am a software engineer (really fancy for computer programmer) and at night (when I have time) I pound on leather. My current projects include helping my son make his first wallet, making my wife a cell phone case & a day planner and making my sister a clutch purse. Speaking of which, I should get off here and get started, huh? tee hee

Hi,

I am another Australian. I come originally from Holland and would up now living in Kempsey, which is 1/2 way between Sydney & Brisbane,

We live on a property with 3 great danes, 2 cats, 2 toy poodles and 4 chihuahuas, about 20 big horses (quarter horse and appaloosa), which I am trying to do reining with and a herd of feral miniature horses (want one?)

I used to work in IT but am now retired (ha) and doing leather braiding and riding. I recently started an online equestrian supply site to sell my work and other horse equipment.

Have a look if interested http://www.horsemansshop.com.au

I am learning more about leatherwork so I can expand my skills and will oneday make a saddle (long term goal that one).

BTW Great forum and I am learning a lot

Johanne

Hey, everyone. I was born and raised in Lubbock, Texas and still live here. I am an 18 year veteran of the Lubbock Fire Department. By the way Randy, everyones likes firemen, but firemen love cops. You guys are always there when we need you, so THANKS!

I am 29 yrs old, and live in vancouver washington. done construction for a vast majority of my professional career. ran a pole building crew for 3 1/2 yrs. done cell tower intigration and optimization for a few years.I also run a horse rescue operation. got into doin leathercraft when I was at a tack auction and a saddle shop tool lot came up on the block. needless to say,the old man died and the kids didnt know what they had. paid about 250 for 1800 worth of leather craft goods. didnt quite know what I had either, but sat on it for 2 yrs, and played around with it a bit. while doing cell tower intigration boise idaho.....I found a tandy store. went in and found out that there was a tandy leather factory in portland oregon.job contract ended and I was on the hunt for a job. needless to say, I was perusing the net one night when I came across a job listing for the tandy in portland. went in,filled out an app and got hired that day. my boss gave me a basic tooling class, and was VERY impressed with my tooling. she told me that it seemed that I had a natural ability and an eye for detail and depth. I was even told that my first practice piece would be hung up on the wall and if I tried to remove it, I would get a stern reprimand. Ive come a long ways in the 6 months since I started, and have even taught a class or two.I have 2 kids, my boy is 6 and girl is 4. they both do leathercraft with me, and are always watching and learning. my son is in cub scouts and is irritated that you have to be a webelos scout before you get a leather craft badge.in my spare time(yea right) I ride horses, play on my jetski during the summer, and 4wheel my truck and ride my quad.I also fish for steelhead and practice close quarters combat with and without small arms. took 2 1/2 years in karate, an 1 year in martial arts. as I sit here, I read what I am typing and ask myself where I find time for all this!

:wavey: Y'all,

We are presently near Nashville, TN but are originally from NC. Smith was a plumber for many years but due to an injury had to chnage. He enjoys reading, leatherwork, :guitar: and loves fishing, etc. I am into :taptap: , creative writing, design, photography, :drum: (althought I don't exactly look like this when drumming...LOL...then again Smith said I looked like Pebbles the other day when I tried to put my short hair up in a hairband on the top of my head soooo...) and now leatherwork...LOL...I guess God wasn't kidding when He said "and two shall become one" huh :D We've been together for 30 yrs. and are still in :wub: . Have one daughter/SIL and a couple "grandpuppies"...Anyway, Smith is having a great time with this new found craft and I'm happy for him and enjoying it with him. The most important thing we've learned over the past couple years is :scared: because God always has a plan B :Lighten: . Having been a person used to working everyday and then suddenly not being able to do what you know has been quite a challenge and picking up the leather again (he used to do some braiding in his 20's but didn't pursue it) has put a new spark in his eye. So, we'll just see where this wave takes us....I know it'll be good! :banana:

I am from the uk near liverpool, on the other side of the mersey. So finding suppliers locally aint easy. I work in forestry, public side as a ranger, and as we are beset by problem youths with knives (not guns, yet!!) we love all the emergency services.

Hey Duke, I also live in Vancouver. Maybe we can get together sometime and pound some leather.

I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. I spent my summers in International Falls, Minnesota at a boys camp (Camp Kooch-i-ching) that my parents worked at (1950-2000) and where I learned to appreciate the Native American Culture (Yes I danced and play the flute) and my winters in Cincy. I married my High School Sweet Heart in 1970 and we are still happily married (38 Years in June). I spent 9 years in the Army Security Agency as a Cryptographer (I broke the bad guys cypher). It was while I was in the Army that I picked up leather carving from my Grandfather. After the Army, I worked in private industry (TRW, HRB SINGER) for 10 years, then was asked to come back into Government Service as a Computer Scientist at the Naval Research Lab. I worked for them for 15 years and now I am a Senior Scientist for the US Air Force. I work at the National Reconnaissance Office building "Spy Satellites". I will retire in 35 months and move to Mid-Western Minnesota (Underwood, just east of Fergus Falls, 1 hour Southeast of Fargo, North Dakota). We have 1 acre on Norway Lake and plan to build a rancher with full basement (shop will go there). We have two children and 5 grandkids, the youngest live in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota) with our Son and his wife. Our Daughter, husband and three grandkids are in the process of moving to Orange, Massachusetts.

In addition to leather work, I have in the past done woodworking (repairing antiques), wood turning (I have an old cast iron, leather belt drive lathe), clock repair and antique car restoration (1959 Triumph TR3A). After retirement, I plan to get as far away from my current occupation as I can and go back to leather working and other Indian Crafts.

PS. I have been a Motorcycle Rider since 1972 and currently ride an HD Road Glide fixed up as an Ultra. To all those Police Officers and Firemen as well as Teachers, Nurses, etc. I take my hat off to you. You are what make this country great.

Image039.jpg

Image040.jpg

Image041.jpg

Image042.jpg

post-5577-1201574916_thumb.jpg

post-5577-1201574940_thumb.jpg

post-5577-1201574961_thumb.jpg

post-5577-1201575287_thumb.jpg

Originally from SoCal Pasadena/Altadena/Sierra Madre/Hacienda Heights/Covina. Moved to Utah about 11 years ago to get the kids out of the crime before they got to jr. high. Seems to have worked out pretty well for them, but now the wife and I are looking to move to Sonoita/Elgin area of Arizona we have made a 5 year plan and want to build a self sufficient solar powered strawbale house and be nice and warm for a change. The season changes are nice here but the old aching bones just can't deal anymore.

Hi,

I am another Australian. I come originally from Holland and would up now living in Kempsey, which is 1/2 way between Sydney & Brisbane,

We live on a property with 3 great danes, 2 cats, 2 toy poodles and 4 chihuahuas, about 20 big horses (quarter horse and appaloosa), which I am trying to do reining with and a herd of feral miniature horses (want one?)

I used to work in IT but am now retired (ha) and doing leather braiding and riding. I recently started an online equestrian supply site to sell my work and other horse equipment.

Have a look if interested http://www.horsemansshop.com.au

I am learning more about leatherwork so I can expand my skills and will oneday make a saddle (long term goal that one).

BTW Great forum and I am learning a lot

Johanne

I'll take your herd of feral mini horses! One just isn't enough for me, and that's what I'm down to. Are the great danes bigger than they are?

Kathy

jordan

try http://oikos.com/esb/34/greenblock.html instead of strawbale. put 'em together like legos then pour concrete or whatever into 'em. great rating and green.

Thanks for the link, I had read about that system but concrete takes alot of energy to mfg. compared to stuff like adobe or rammed earth. I recently got a dvd called building with awareness, is very informative and well done. Our move is aways off so there is lots of time for research, half the fun ya know.