Clay

Floral Carving Collaboration Idea

A while back ClayB, Kathy Flanagan and myself did a leather project where we each did some carving on one piece. The idea came from ClayB, he did his Buffalo Feathers carving, then Kathy added some Flying Buffalo Calfs, and I did some floral carving. It was cool to see what each of us did to add to the piece. I have been wanting to do something like this again and I have come up with an idea. I would like to do a floral carving piece where we break it down to each step and stamp used in the process. The way it would work is one person would draw the pattern, the next person would do the swivel knife cuts, the next would do the flower centers, the next would do the thumbprints, and so on, with each person only using one stamp. The piece would have room on it for each person to put their makers mark or signature and what stamp or tool they used. Once the piece is finished it could be raffled off to help pay some bills for LW. The number of steps and what order the stamps are used would have to be determined, but with a little planning it would be easy to set up. The only cost would be some time and the postage to the next person. I am willing to donate a piece of leather and draw the pattern. I am open to suggestions and further discussion on this. If there is a lot of interest we could even do more than one piece. Let me know what you all think!

Clay Miller

Hey Clay, very interesting idea.

If you're looking for ideas of interactive stuff for the site as well, the woodturning site I started years ago has been doing what we call the "Challenge & Trade" quarterly events. The idea behind them was to promote trying new skills, techniques and for folks to see/own the work of others they may not have been exposed to on their own.

How it works is the challenge is presented to the group and sign-ups are taken. Specs like min/max size are given to ensure projects are roughly equal. Entrants are given roughly a month to complete their challenge items. 2-3 days prior to the deadline, the list of sign-ups is randomized (using the http://www.random.org/lists/ website for fairness) and then posted. On the deadline date, folks post pictures of their completed projects and then mail them to their trade partner from the list.

Some examples of challenges that could work for LW.net:

New Experience challenge: use a new technique, material or tool you haven't tried before in a project

Interpretation challenge: take an existing theme/project and modify it to present it as a new (possibly improved) work

Project specific: coasters, trading cards, a specific pattern, etc.

Tool specific: create an item using only the tool/tools listed in the challenge

Here's an example of what we ended up with for the "Squares" challenge: http://www.woodturnersresource.com/wrphotopost/showgallery.php?cat=524

The project was to turn a project out of a 4"x4"x4" piece of wood. The trick to it was the finished item had to have a square aspect to it, which in woodturning isn't the easiest feat. ;)

I think that' a great idea Bert. I'm surprised and a little disappointed that you haven't gotten any more response to this (and hoping maybe people are responding privately). I have enjoyed the projects I've worked on with other people and hope to do more of them in the future.

:sign23:

Clay I will try my hand at it if you get enough to do it.

Mark

Thannks ClayB and Mark, Still looking for more people to take part.

Thannks ClayB and Mark, Still looking for more people to take part.

Hey Clay,

I just realized in my long winded post that I didn't say I'm in for it. I just hope my skills are up for the challenge. ;)

Chris

Hey gang, sounds like fun. Just don't ask me to draw the pattern. LOL

Terry

Count me in, as long as I don't have to bevel....zzzzzzzz....

Hilly

I'll play. I think it sounds like fun. Count me in.

So far we have seven people willing to take part in my little experement. If we don't get more interest maybe we can each do two or three steps..

I have not drawn any pattern yet but thought I would start soon. Also what all tools will we use? Typically I use about 10 to 14 different stamps and the swivel knife. These are the steps that I typicaly do on a pattern in the order I use them. If no one has any objections to it I think this is the order we should use to tool this project.

Swivel knife cut all lines

centers flowers

camoflauge flowers and some vine

center shader flowers

thumbprint/ pear shader flowers, leafs and petals

lifters flowers, some leafs

leaf liner leafs, acanthus

veiner leafs, flower pod,

beveler all lines

seeder flower and leaf stems some seed pods

mulefoot flower and leaf stems, vine junctions

bargrounder/ backgrounder non-plant parts of pattern

swivel knife finish cuts to accent flow of pattern

Let me know which one you would like to do and we can get started on this.

Clay

Clay,

If a Barry King #27 bargrounder will work in the pattern, I could do that along with the decorative swivel cuts.

Terry

Clay,

I don't know if this is an objection, or just a thought.....I think that whoever swivel cuts the pattern should probably do the beveling as well. The reason is, I've found if the cuts aren't beveled fairly soon, they tend to close up making it harder to get a good deep bevel. I'm not saying your order of tooling is wrong, but when factoring in sending this piece to one person for one thing, and then on to another person for the next step, etc., we could sure be faced with cuts closing up. Just a thought.

I'd be willing to help out if you would like me to. My best to everyone, Deno.

Swivel knife cut all lines

centers flowers

center shader flowers

thumbprint/ pear shader flowers, leafs and petals

veiner leafs, flower pod,

beveler all lines ClayB

bargrounder/ backgrounder non-plant parts of pattern Terrymac

Clay

I'll do the thumb print/pear shading parts.

Swivel knife cut all lines ClayM

centers flowers MarkB

center shader flowers

thumbprint/ pear shader flowers, leafs and petalsLeatherrookie

veiner leafs, flower pod, acanthus

beveler all lines ClayB

bargrounder/ backgrounder non-plant parts of pattern Terrymac

Clay

Clay,

If you need me to, I would also be willing to do the lifters. I don't know how many people we're getting signed up, but lifters and thumb prints seem to go together. Let me know.

I'd like to do the veining, please.

Hilly