Clay B

Holster Thumb Break Hardware

Does anyone know where I can buy thumb break hardware? Not just the snap but, the metal pull tab as is fixed to the snap? Thanks Clay

Does anyone know where I can buy thumb break hardware? Not just the snap but, the metal pull tab as is fixed to the snap? Thanks Clay

Clay, I get mine from Tim Start at High Desert Leather. (highdesertleather.com) Mike

Thank you Twin Oaks and katsass. I found exactly what I was looking for with High Desert Leather and JRM Clips companies. I appreciate the help. Clay

Thank you Twin Oaks and katsass. I found exactly what I was looking for with High Desert Leather and JRM Clips companies. I appreciate the help. Clay

I've got them from High Desert Leather as well, the metal tabs are sometimes too long on some things so I ended up making them out of kydex. The snap covers are great though, and his prices are very good, and he ships quick.

I've got them from High Desert Leather as well, the metal tabs are sometimes too long on some things so I ended up making them out of kydex. The snap covers are great though, and his prices are very good, and he ships quick.

Thank you for the info. I did see the snap covers when I went to their web site earlier today. The snap covers seem like a good idea if they stay in place. What's been your experience with them. Metal tabs from kydex. Interesting. Maybe I'm missing something here. Where do you get your kydex from?

Thank you for the info. I did see the snap covers when I went to their web site earlier today. The snap covers seem like a good idea if they stay in place. What's been your experience with them. Metal tabs from kydex. Interesting. Maybe I'm missing something here. Where do you get your kydex from?

The snap covers stay in there, They require some force to get them in there, I don't think they would ever go anywhere.

What I meant by the metal tabs were: the ones I ordered from HDL were too long for what I needed them for so I made my own out of kydex, It's a little thicker than metal, but works fine. I got the Kydex from Springfield leather, I have a few different thicknesses, but I used the thinnest they sell for the tabs. I'd like to find shorter metal ones, but most of my holsters don't have thumbreaks on them so it's not usually an issue to make my own here and there out of kydex.

I think JRM has different sized ones but it's not as easy to order if you don't need 1000 of them, they will sell them but there is a procedure to get them.

The snap covers stay in there, They require some force to get them in there, I don't think they would ever go anywhere.

What I meant by the metal tabs were: the ones I ordered from HDL were too long for what I needed them for so I made my own out of kydex, It's a little thicker than metal, but works fine. I got the Kydex from Springfield leather, I have a few different thicknesses, but I used the thinnest they sell for the tabs. I'd like to find shorter metal ones, but most of my holsters don't have thumbreaks on them so it's not usually an issue to make my own here and there out of kydex.

I think JRM has different sized ones but it's not as easy to order if you don't need 1000 of them, they will sell them but there is a procedure to get them.

What is the procedure to get to JRM? I have called and left two messages and sent a few emails without any repsonse. I would get 1,000 if the price is right and if they would respond......

Edited by wwwrmbbladescom

Edited by wwwrmbbladescom

Thank you for the info.

The procedure:

http://www.jrmclips.com/contact-us.html

Pick out what you want from the site.

Call, get price.

Send PayPal payment.

No min order requirement, my total with shipping came to $13

I don't know the process of ordering from JMR if they aren't answering the phone. I've never ordered from them but I seen in another post that if you want less than 1000 you can send money along with a preadressed/postage envelope and they send you what you want. I wouldn't do that if you don't speak with someone first though.

I have an account with Ohio Travel Bag as well, i forgot about them. I just wish they had a better online store to make ordering a little simpler. They do have just about anything though, it only takes a few days to have an account set up with them. Also if you don't have an account set up with them you can order through Springfield leather, but you have to look up the part numbers and prices from OTB first, which probably would mean you'd have to call them.

Nothings easy sometimes. Actually I'm probably just spoiled with online ordering, it's easier for me. I'm sure some people prefer using the phone. I do phone in my leather orders though.

The procedure:

http://www.jrmclips.com/contact-us.html

Pick out what you want from the site.

Call, get price.

Send PayPal payment.

No min order requirement, my total with shipping came to $13

You didn't have to send an envelope in? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Disregard my other post, I must be incorrect or thinking of somewhere else?

You didn't have to send an envelope in? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Disregard my other post, I must be incorrect or thinking of somewhere else?

Nope, that envelope thing was never mentioned during our transaction.

I have found a very inexpensive way to make my own thumb breaks. Mine I simply use 12" hose clamps and use the unthreaded section of the clamp. It can be cut with tin snips to any desired length and can be drilled with any sharp drill bit. It is stiff enough to hold up to repeated use but can still be bent or straightened to shooters desired position.

post-18778-073097600 1296353585_thumb.jp

It works well for me and so far my customers love it.

r t warren, this is my first thumb break holster. Would you please give me the steps on how I should go about using the hose clamp. Left hand holster, where does the stiff part go. I don't have a thumb break holster to look and or I think I could figure it out. Thanks, Larry

Larry this might help, here are some pictures of thumb break. T warren said he is cutting off the unslotted end of a hose clamp then he would have to drill holes in it and round the ends off. You can get ready made ones. From the bluegunstore.com High Dessert Leather or Springfield Leather. I just bought some from Springfield I think they were about .59 cents each. I have bought from bluegun and High Desert in the past both products are good.

post-15001-0-55875100-1445058404_thumb.j

post-15001-0-33212800-1445058458_thumb.j

post-15001-0-90447900-1445058567_thumb.p

Thanks , camano ridge, I looked at one site and the minimum order was 1,000. I am a hobbyist and would never use that amount. I'll get ten or so from bluegunstore.com. Thanks again for some good photos and the leads for the parts.

One question, what is the name of the item at the top of the metal spring piece? Can I get it also at bluegunstore? I just need to know what it is called and I'll order some.

Larry

Edited by Larry

I am not sure what you are referring to. In the top hole of the stiffener is a rivet, in the bottom hole is a line 24 snap. Snaps and rivets can be purchased from Tandy, Springfield leather most leather supply stores.

I was making mine out of spring steel. And then one day, I look at the pieces of offcuts from the liners in out gunbelts and thought "I wonder if you could use kydex?" Works like a charm.

tk