Sign in to follow this  
Raven UK

Bird Mask Help?

Hi there, I would really like to make a Raven mask for myself but I'm not really sure where to start. I've made a mask before that was birdlike but I'd like this one to be a lot closer to the features of the raven. The first one was quite abstract really. What's the best way to start with this d'you think? I'm guessing a separate beak for certain? Also, what is a good way to do feathers?

I've added some pics of my old bird-style mask too :)

post-18593-075214200 1295198505_thumb.jp

post-18593-031497300 1295198516_thumb.jp

I'm wanting to make a bird mask too some time, I know there is a way of doing it with one piece, I've seen it done, unfortunately I don't know how to do that. Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up. but if anyone else here knows how to do it I'd love to know just as much as Raven UK would too I'm sure.

But if you want to do feathers I might be able to help you out some, I just finished a small face mask that was based off of a bird, and I tooled ever single little feather-granted it looked really spiffy when I finished, but the process of getting there was more then just a little monotonous. As soon as I can find my camera I'll try to post a picture ( Finally got our stuff from the movers and am still unpacking) I have a question about your design, do you want to keep it all leather or do you want to do mixed media and throw in some real feathers? I'm only asking as I have had great luck using rooster hackles and coque (sp? cock/rooster) tail feathers for a raven mask that I made, and it gave the mask that slick look that ravens had.

Darn, sorry I missed your reply! I would like to try both actually, one all leather one mixed with real feathers. I'd like to see the difference between the two styled of manufacture, which felt best and which was easier to make etc. Please do post pics of your mask when you can! :)