CustomDoug

What's "glove Tanned Cowhide" ?

I've come across a few bags from COACH that are marked as being "Glove tanned cowhide". The are very soft and flexible as well as having no gloss/sheen.. I'm also interested in sourcing some if anyone knows of a place that carries it.

I use glove leather for my show chaps. I get it from buckskinleather.com good people to do business with. I usually call to let them know what I am using it for, and get just what I ask for. Usually comes in about 2 days. Hope that helps. Really nice stuff, I always get a lot of folks asking about it when they see it at the shows.

Bob

post-8161-082401600 1295616390_thumb.jpg

post-8161-048633500 1295616423_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info bob, I'll give them a ring. Great pics BTW.

I've come across a few bags from COACH that are marked as being "Glove tanned cowhide". The are very soft and flexible as well as having no gloss/sheen.. I'm also interested in sourcing some if anyone knows of a place that carries it.

i think it is leather that has been tanned by workers wearing gloves so that their finger nails or pores don't scuff the surface

That's certainly interesting.. so is it more prone to scuffs etc, you think?

Bettunsvillage had recently some glove leather.

After reading this post, a bulb came on. There was some camo leather I was trying to move, it had the same finish as mentioned by Doug, and recently I tried using it as a lining in a wallet and I found it difficult to slide bills into the wallet.

I decided to check and I've just realised the 2 camo prints that I am trying to move on the For Sale section was actually produced for military and hunting gloves, and the matt finish is actually meant to be non-slip as it is gloves leather!

Here's the specs I've found:

Water resistant

Pittards WR100X tannage offers an enhanced resistance to rain, humidity or working conditions, and greater insulation to protect the hands in all weathers.

Perspiration resistant

Pittards leather has been chemically treated to prevent absorption of moisture, including sweat, into the glove and thereby retains its softness and feel even after repeated exposure.

Exceptional fit

Pittards WR100X leather offers exceptional softness of touch, natural fit and unique flexibility for ultimate comfort.

Breathability

Pittards Camouflage leather has been processed to guarantee unique breathability and comfort at all times.

Do you guys think it's probably better for me to find a glove maker here on this site, and send the whole batch of leathers to be made into gloves and then try to sell them as finished goods instead of leather?

i think it is leather that has been tanned by workers wearing gloves so that their finger nails or pores don't scuff the surface

i'm sorry to say i tried to inject a little humour 'wrong'!glovey leather to me is thin leather of a consistancy that would make it condusive to making into a glove. soft flexible good appearence and quality thus a glovey piece of leather.

i'm sorry to say i tried to inject a little humour 'wrong'!glovey leather to me is thin leather of a consistancy that would make it condusive to making into a glove. soft flexible good appearence and quality thus a glovey piece of leather.

A little humor is the spice that makes life worth it. I took is as you meant it and got a chuckle out of it. Some folks' just have too thin of a hide, probably should use them to make gloves!

Bob

Its like the other time when another member received a hide with tractor marks on them and said perhaps Tannery Run means to run over it at the tannery. I got a good laugh out of that!

evillaugh.gif, I have to say that I wasn't sure if you were joking or not when you made the comment about workers wearing gloves. Which is why I was trying to be polite in saying that it's an interesting concept (whatever the wording was). In truth I was thinking "nan, that can't be right, can it?" blush.gif. The thing about COACH's "glove leather" that's used for the bags, is that it's not like leather that would be used for gloves at all IMO. It's too thick, not floppy enough - for one thing. Also, it's smooth with no textured graining like you see on fashion gloves, etc. It seems almost like a very flexible, soft and subtle veg-tanned leather to me (I know that's not the usual nature of veg tanned leather though).

evillaugh.gif, I have to say that I wasn't sure if you were joking or not when you made the comment about workers wearing gloves. Which is why I was trying to be polite in saying that it's an interesting concept (whatever the wording was). In truth I was thinking "nan, that can't be right, can it?" blush.gif. The thing about COACH's "glove leather" that's used for the bags, is that it's not like leather that would be used for gloves at all IMO. It's too thick, not floppy enough - for one thing. Also, it's smooth with no textured graining like you see on fashion gloves, etc. It seems almost like a very flexible, soft and subtle veg-tanned leather to me (I know that's not the usual nature of veg tanned leather though).

that very flexible soft subtle[ veg]in chrome tan is perfect for making bareback ridin gloves for th rodeo cowboy[my 30 yr business] i think therefor 'glovey' is a salesmans word for buy it?

this is the second time I've posted this it might have disapeared when the servers were playing up, or might have been removed by a mod because it's a bit revolting! glove tanned leather used to be tanned using dog sh*t, it was collected by the poor and sold to the tanneries by the bucket full. It was known as "pure" and it was a well organised business. The very best gloves were made using the white dog sh*t that you sometimes see this was kept seperate and sold at a premium price. water was added to the stuff, and it was made into a slurry that the skins were soaked in for a period. The reason the leather produced this way is so soft and flexible is because enzymes in the slurry digested various elements in the skin. leather is still made this way in North Africa, but they use bird droppings instead as there aren't as many dogs there, I dare say that in the west some form of synthetic chemical is now used to get the same result! Thinking about it this is no more revolting than brain tanning,

have a nice day!

this is the second time I've posted this it might have disapeared when the servers were playing up, or might have been removed by a mod because it's a bit revolting! glove tanned leather used to be tanned using dog sh*t, it was collected by the poor and sold to the tanneries by the bucket full. It was known as "pure" and it was a well organised business. The very best gloves were made using the white dog sh*t that you sometimes see this was kept seperate and sold at a premium price. water was added to the stuff, and it was made into a slurry that the skins were soaked in for a period. The reason the leather produced this way is so soft and flexible is because enzymes in the slurry digested various elements in the skin. leather is still made this way in North Africa, but they use bird droppings instead as there aren't as many dogs there, I dare say that in the west some form of synthetic chemical is now used to get the same result! Thinking about it this is no more revolting than brain tanning,

have a nice day!

cant help but think of the years i thought my hands were odorious things .now i know why thanks

have a nice day!

A guy called Henry Mayhew went round London in the 1860's talking to and recording the words of the under classes, this is what he recorded about "pure"

"The pure finders meet with a ready market for all the dogs'-dung they are able to collect, at the numerous tanyards in Bermondsey, where they sell it by the stable bucket full, and get from 8d. to 10d. per bucket, and sometimes from 1s. to 1s.2d. for it, according to its quality. The 'dry limy–looking sort' fetches the highest price at some yards as it is found to possess more of the alkaline or purifying properties; but others are found to prefer the dark moist quality. Strange as it may appear, the preference for a particular kind has suggested to the finders of Pure the idea of adulterating it to a very considerable extent; this is effected by means of mortar broken away from old walls, and mixed up with the whole mass, which it closely resembles……

...The pure collected is used by leather-dressers and tanners, and more especially by those engaged in the manufacture of morocco and kid leather from the skins of old and young goats…. In the manufacture of moroccos and roans the pure is rubbed by the hands of the workman into the skin he is dressing. This is done to 'purify' the leather, I was told by an intelligent leatherdresser, and from that term the word 'pure' has originated. The dung has astringent as well as highly alkaline, or, to use the expression of my informant, 'scouring,' qualities. When the pure has been rubbed into the flesh and grain of the skin (the 'flesh' being originally the interior, and the 'grain' the exterior part of the cuticle), and the skin, thus purified, has been hung up to be dried, the dung removes, as it were, all such moisture as, if allowed to remain, would tend to make the leather unsound or imperfectly dressed.

The number of pure-finders I heard estimated, by a man well acquainted with the tanning and other departments of the leather trade, at from 200 to 250. The finders, I was informed by the same person, collected about a pail-full a day, clearing 6s. a week in the summer -- 1s. and 1s. 2d. being the charge for a pail-full; in the short days of winter, however, and in bad weather, they could not collect five pail-fulls in a week."

a family could live on 6 shillings a week

here is a clip off youtube showing a tannery in Morocco, there is a more in depth program made by National Geographic, but I couldn't find that

Mike is this the one you were looking for It's a Nat Geo one ?

that's the one, but I think it was a full half hour program when i saw it

Mike is this the one you were looking for It's a Nat Geo one ?

On 1/21/2011 at 2:21 AM, CustomDoug said:

I have the same question. Did you ever find your glovetanned leather or a good substitue?