Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Need Info On A Billy Cook Saddle

I am looking at purchasing a Billy Cook saddle model #8509. It is stamped "maker" and from the Greenville TX era. It is supposed to be a reiner according to the seller. I cannot seem to find any info or even a picture of one anywhere. I called Billy Cook Sulphur, OK. today and they could not help me. Also tried the fellas at Horsesaddleshop.com and no help. If anyone knows anything about it or could send me a picture it would be greatly appreciated. I can pick this up at a bargain and it is suppose to be in immaculate condition. The seller is an older gentleman who is not tech savvy or capable of sending me pics. Thanks fellas.

*** By the way I am new here and have learned alot from browsing the site. Figured you all were the experts, so I came here for help!! ****

I am looking at purchasing a Billy Cook saddle model #8509. It is stamped "maker" and from the Greenville TX era. It is supposed to be a reiner according to the seller. I cannot seem to find any info or even a picture of one anywhere. I called Billy Cook Sulphur, OK. today and they could not help me. Also tried the fellas at Horsesaddleshop.com and no help. If anyone knows anything about it or could send me a picture it would be greatly appreciated. I can pick this up at a bargain and it is suppose to be in immaculate condition. The seller is an older gentleman who is not tech savvy or capable of sending me pics. Thanks fellas.

*** By the way I am new here and have learned alot from browsing the site. Figured you all were the experts, so I came here for help!! ****

Here is a link that might help you: http://forums.wester...owtopic=3001222

The thread talks about the Billy Cook saddles pre-1981 and post and how to indentify. Hope it helps.

From the looks of it, Longhorn (who bought Billy's name) can't use the word MAKER in their stamps.

They say to also look for a serial number as an original Pre-1981 Billy Cook from Greenville, TX will have his name, the word MAKER and a serial number as well as model number.

Models made after 1981 by Longhorn will not have the serial number stamped in them.

Edited by Spinner

Here is a topic on this forum where saddle makers are discussing Billy Cook history. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3128&st It won't help you see a picture of your model number but may give you some hints as to the time period and possible value. It you get it, please post pictures!

Thanks for the info from both of you. I had read both of those articles before posting here. I get to see the saddle tomorrow morning and know what to look for as to it being genuine Billy Cook. This saddle supposedly was on a ranch in Texas it's whole life but saw very little use. After talking to Billy Cook in Sulphur and other saddle experts and not getting any info on it, I think I maybe onto a very special saddle. This gentleman is probably in his 70's and has had it since new. I will post pics of it tomorrow. I don't think I am getting hurt on the price even if it is a little worn. But I am hoping it is a rare find. He states it is pre 1981 and in immaculate condition. I am excited to see it.

Well I just saw the saddle and it was not at all what I expected. It was an original from Greenville, but the saddle was in poor condition. It had paint speckled all over it and the horn cap was missing. It also had orange around the tree and horn, looked like paint but maybe from a tree repair? It had serial number under fender of 82-1125. I just didn't feel it was worth $450 in that condition.

I wish you'd taken some pics.