ChuckBurrows

And Now For Something Completely Different....

As many if not most know who visit here, my first "love" is the American Frontier West of the 1800's - while guns, knives, and other sharp things and their leather gear is top of my list, I also do other types of frontier gear such as the following pipe bag and breastplate and thought ya'll might enjoy the look see........................There are a couple of WIP hawk heads included though…

While this is not an exact copy of any single existing pipe bag, it is based on/inspired by three original So. Cheyenne bags of the mid-1840's. Size of this early period pipe bag is 31" long including the fringe and 6" wide. The beads are early style pound beads and the bag body is made from brain/smoke tan deer hide that has been stained with red ocher and then the whole piece was aged to give it that used but not abused look. Included in one image is a beaded pipe tamper. Such bags began being made in the 1830's and became very popular by the 1860's and later. The haired fringe on the bag is buffalo and that on the tamper is from me own head

pipebag-2011-01-1.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-2.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-3.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-4.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-5.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-6.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-7.jpg

The breast plate is made of bone hair pipe and is representative of those made and used post 1870, when the bone hair pipes first became widely available.

breastplate-howell-0912-1.jpg

breastplate-howell-0912-2.jpg

and yes I'm a BIG Monty Python fan....

Beautiful work!

Chuck I've stopped by your website several times to enjoy all your pics. I'm always amazed how you can make something new seem so well aged.

Do you explain your aging techniques on your holster DVD ? I already have the one you did for knife sheaths (enjoyed it very much). Any other DVDs planned for the future?

ken

Howdy Ken - thanks for the comments.

As for aging - yes I do go into more detail on the holster one. I do have a couple more DVDs in mind (period gun belts and frontier only style sheaths including beadwork) but circumstances have put a hold on them for a while. I am working on setting up some pay-per-view on-line classes ASAP as well, including some webinar types in which I will be "live" to walk the students through the process and also be able to answer questions. Keep an eye on the website for announcements. I'm hoping to set one class up within the month - it won;t be a webinar type yet, but rather more of a chat room/forum tutorial style where in I post the step by step process and then the students can ask questions via typing it in. The first planned class is for a fairly simple aged rawhide covered sheath with some beadwork, tacks, etc.

Also here's a link to an article on aging leather that gives some good advice:

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/aging-leather-zurl.jpg

I Love Love Love what you do. I also have been to your website

and I am amazed at what you have accomplished.

You have a Masters touch with leather

and All that you do....

:notworthy:

Edited by LNLeather

Also here's a link to an article on aging leather that gives some good advice:

http://www.wrtcleath...eather-zurl.jpg

Woopsi - when I click on the link I get an all Red page that starts out like this

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.wrtcleather.com has been reported as an attack page

and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Is it just me or is this happening to everyone?

Woopsi - when I click on the link I get an all Red page that starts out like this

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.wrtcleather.com has been reported as an attack page

and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Is it just me or is this happening to everyone?

It happened to me too.

Thanks all!

As for my site - don't know why you're getting that except that Google needs to clean their cache or something since the pages they were reporting don;t even exist on the site anymore - it is the only place reporting problems that I found anyway. The site did get hacked back in Aug 2010 and it has been fixed, but some how Google is showing pages that either no longer exist or were fixed as being "bad". I spent several hours checking it out and based on several browsers and malware notification "engines" (including Virus Totals http://www.virustotal.com/url-scan/report.html?id=4ebf0b909cadd9c6d402ea35090ae2be-1296549264 and AVG) there is no problem - go figure???

Thanks all!

As for my site - don't know why you're getting that except that Google needs to clean their cache or something since the pages they were reporting don;t even exist on the site anymore - it is the only place reporting problems that I found anyway. The site did get hacked back in Aug 2010 and it has been fixed, but some how Google is showing pages that either no longer exist or were fixed as being "bad". I spent several hours checking it out and based on several browsers and malware notification "engines" (including Virus Totals http://www.virustota...e2be-1296549264 and AVG) there is no problem - go figure???

OK! Well whatever you did seems to have worked...

That link dosn't send me to that RED Alert page any more!

It goes right to "Aging Your Leather Project"

So - Thanks for your time and effort to fix that!

the link works for me now too.

thank you Chuck. great info.

ken

As many if not most know who visit here, my first "love" is the American Frontier West of the 1800's - while guns, knives, and other sharp things and their leather gear is top of my list, I also do other types of frontier gear such as the following pipe bag and breastplate and thought ya'll might enjoy the look see........................There are a couple of WIP hawk heads included though…

While this is not an exact copy of any single existing pipe bag, it is based on/inspired by three original So. Cheyenne bags of the mid-1840's. Size of this early period pipe bag is 31" long including the fringe and 6" wide. The beads are early style pound beads and the bag body is made from brain/smoke tan deer hide that has been stained with red ocher and then the whole piece was aged to give it that used but not abused look. Included in one image is a beaded pipe tamper. Such bags began being made in the 1830's and became very popular by the 1860's and later. The haired fringe on the bag is buffalo and that on the tamper is from me own head

Just seen ur post a few ago.....very detailed and spirited work....I guess that's the right word....Spirit, u have it....the spirit of gone by days, buffalo hides and men roaming on horses across this sacred earth out west....

Love the smell of smoked hides and animal grease, tobbaco smoke and horse hair....wonder what these days felt like...I guess ur work does bring these days back....just for a moment.....nice work!!

James

pipebag-2011-01-1.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-2.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-3.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-4.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-5.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-6.jpg

pipebag-2011-01-7.jpg

The breast plate is made of bone hair pipe and is representative of those made and used post 1870, when the bone hair pipes first became widely available.

breastplate-howell-0912-1.jpg

breastplate-howell-0912-2.jpg

and yes I'm a BIG Monty Python fan....