Gawdzilla

The Pattern Material Thread.

(Sorry if we've already got one of these, I'm fine with folding this into the existing one if it's there.)

When I want to make sure a pattern is going to last a long time (not a "one off" for a special purpose) I used semi-transparent plastic (like "Plaid" from Simply Stencils). You can see through it to position the stencil on existing work and avoid bad spots very precisely. (I tend to color in bad spots with a black sharpie to make them more obvious.)

For a semi-permanent pattern I use stiff paper and then layer it with transparent tape, the wide package tape is good for that.

Any other suggestions?

You can get the bigger pieces of the plastic template material at Hobby Lobby they are about 18 x 24

You can get the bigger pieces of the plastic template material at Hobby Lobby they are about 18 x 24

I hit them regularly. I get poster board when it's on sale even if I don't need it right now.

I found that I can glue a layer of paper to a pattern with spray glue and then cover that with scotch tape to save instructions and the name of the piece. It may get ratty after a while, but not so quickly that I can't replace it.

I use either heavy duty pressboard folders or xray films for my patterns. Mostly because I have access to an ongoing supply of both at no cost. There are some limitations due to size. The biggest film are about 36"x36" which works for me but may not work for others.

I use either heavy duty pressboard folders or xray films for my patterns. Mostly because I have access to an ongoing supply of both at no cost. There are some limitations due to size. The biggest film are about 36"x36" which works for me but may not work for others.

Free stuff rocks! I just got a box of scrap from the St. Louis Tandy and I found enough material to make a thousand dollars worth of trinkets.

another source for plastic or thin metal are the no parking/beware of dog/etc signs, you can get them at any hardware store, or even target/walmart.

eric

There are tons of those coroplast election signs in my neighborhood right now. Usually it takes the candidates quite a while after the election to remove these. I'm sure that they won't miss one or two signs after the election is over. More to the point, coroplast is quite rigid and it is waterproof.

Just my .02¢