jasonsmith

Angelus Duller To Reduce Shine In Acrylic Sealer

Has anyone used Angelus's duller to reduce the shine of their acrylic sealers? I know they have a matte acrylic sealer, but it still is pretty shinny like plastic. I know some dilute Fiebing's resolene with water to reduce the shine. But Angelus says to use their duller to reduce the shine of their acrylic sealers.

angelus-duller.jpg

"The Duller is available in 4 ounce, pints and gallons and comes with an eye dropper for precise mixing. The standard mixing ratio is 1 1/2ml of duller to a 1 ounce bottle of paint. The mixing ratio of the duller can be customized to the artisan's specific requirements. Well respected shoe painters recommend as much as 4.5 ml of duller per 1 ounce of paint. By making this product available separately, and not incorporating it directly into our Leather Paint, every artist can create a unique custom look. Additional eye droppers are also available separately."

Has anyone used Angelus's duller to reduce the shine of their acrylic sealers? I know they have a matte acrylic sealer, but it still is pretty shinny like plastic. I know some dilute Fiebing's resolene with water to reduce the shine. But Angelus says to use their duller to reduce the shine of their acrylic sealers.

angelus-duller.jpg

"The Duller is available in 4 ounce, pints and gallons and comes with an eye dropper for precise mixing. The standard mixing ratio is 1 1/2ml of duller to a 1 ounce bottle of paint. The mixing ratio of the duller can be customized to the artisan's specific requirements. Well respected shoe painters recommend as much as 4.5 ml of duller per 1 ounce of paint. By making this product available separately, and not incorporating it directly into our Leather Paint, every artist can create a unique custom look. Additional eye droppers are also available separately."

Sounds about right. Model makers use a similar product for model paints when doing camouflage and there is even a pre-mixed version of it that is a no-shine clear coat called "Dullcoat".

I haven't used the Angelus product you show but similar products are commonly used in other fields/hobbies so it would make sense that they offer one.

Chris

Edited by Spinner

I was curious if anyone has used it. How much they mixed in to get a matte finish? I may start off with mixing one ounce of Matte acrylic sealer and 1 1/2ml of duller and spray a test piece. If it is still too shiny. Then I could keep adding in the duller in my sample. Though, it looks like that stuff is used for paint. So, not sure if 1 1/2ml of duller may be too much for the acrylic sealer. I may see if Angelus could recommend how much duller to mix in. It would be nice to get a true matte and/or satin acrylic sealer. But they all tend to be real shiny and plastic looking.

I was curious if anyone has used it. How much they mixed in to get a matte finish? I may start off with mixing one ounce of Matte acrylic sealer and 1 1/2ml of duller and spray a test piece. If it is still too shiny. Then I could keep adding in the duller in my sample. Though, it looks like that stuff is used for paint. So, not sure if 1 1/2ml of duller may be too much for the acrylic sealer. I may see if Angelus could recommend how much duller to mix in. It would be nice to get a true matte and/or satin acrylic sealer. But they all tend to be real shiny and plastic looking.

I'd say give them a call, they usually have pretty good answers about their product. I'm the curious type though, I'd go the route you stated and try it to see what I ended up with. That reminds me, I need to write up the review of the liquid matte this weekend. LOL

I'd say give them a call, they usually have pretty good answers about their product. I'm the curious type though, I'd go the route you stated and try it to see what I ended up with. That reminds me, I need to write up the review of the liquid matte this weekend. LOL

Not really. I've called them a few times before. And they say someone will call me back, but that never happens. After I explained that the last time I called when they tried again to say someone will call back. The person actually went and talked to the person in the know who recommended the Duller and not to use the water like what people do with the Fiebing's Resolene.

Do you know if that Eco-Flo Satin Shene sealer is any good? I haven't tried that yet, so I wonder if it has a more mellow finish with less of a plastic look compared to the Resolene or Angelus acrylic sealers.

Edited by jasonsmith

I've used Satin Sheen quite a bit, and had great results with it. This holster has two coats of satin sheen and I applied it with a damp sponge paint brush. Brush it on, keeping the entire surface wet so it has plenty of time to penetrate, then wipe away with the same portion of a paper towel which helps to eliminate streaks.

1076811934_vuqS8-L.jpg

1076819312_8ukH3-L.jpg

I've used Satin Sheen quite a bit, and had great results with it. This holster has two coats of satin sheen and I applied it with a damp sponge paint brush. Brush it on, keeping the entire surface wet so it has plenty of time to penetrate, then wipe away with the same portion of a paper towel which helps to eliminate streaks.

1076811934_vuqS8-L.jpg

1076819312_8ukH3-L.jpg

I may pick some of that up just to try. When I did test pieces and I brushed the sealer on with a sponge. I noticed you could really only wipe it once. As if you try to do it more than once while it is drying. Then it ruins the finish. On my test pieces, you would brush it on with a sponge. And then there would be lots of bubbles that you then tried to brush off with the sponge but couldn't. Those bubbles will mess up the finish.

I'm thinking of spraying it on with one of those small mist spray bottles. As that would put on a thin coat. Only thing is you'd have to pump it by hand every spray. But since it comes out in a fine mist, I wouldn't guess you'd have to worry about leaving lines or streaks.

Fast forward to 6:00 and you'll see how I applied it.

Fast forward to 6:00 and you'll see how I applied it.

Cool video, thanks. That sponge brush you are using is better than what I was using. As I was using one of those stiff yellow square sponges from Tandy.