plodd

Hello From Adelaide Australia

Hello everyone introduction time,

I am a Brit now living in Australia and came by a set of leather working tools as payment in kind for some handyman work i did. I have only made a few things by guess work and lots of mistakes, braiding to see if i could, an axe and shovel carrier and some small pouches and they were all very rough and agricultural.

I came across your website as i wanted to make a sheath for my new SOG seal pup knife and have been visiting regularly since. The tutorials are fantastic and after reading things seem to click into place, with a big Ahh.... thats how it should be done! I am attempting a wet formed case for my binoculars at the moment, i have had to modify as i couldn't get the corners right but it will be better next time!

What a wonderful community thanks to everyone involved.

Ben

Welcome, ask us anything you will get several answers and one of them might be right! lol

Ben,

welcome to the Forum. Glad you have found the information quite useful. Although you have just started (we have all been there at least once) we would still like to see pictures of your work. I am on my second time through all the learning curves. I did leather back in the 70's with my grandfathers help. I left for 20 years and I am now back doing it primarily as a hobby in my retirement. I was amazed at the width and breadth of what is leather craft and leather art today as well as the number of suppliers. I know there are a number of members from down under on this forum and I am sure you will get to know them. Since you have been on the forum for a while, I don't need to tell you much about it. I look forward to seeing some of your work.

BillB

Welcome ben...great forum and great people.....you should check out http://www.dimensionsinleather.com/ this is a leather conference that is held every 2 years in Brisbane....a really great experience for leatherworkers.

cheers from geelong, victoria

Hey Folks,

I am new to working with leather and am trying ti find a pattern with instruction sheets on how to make a leather case for my small binoculars and a leather case for my range finder? They are both about the same size. I would appreciate any help or assistance of any kind.

Thank you.

Maple Man

Hey Folks,

I am new to working with leather and am trying ti find a pattern with instruction sheets on how to make a leather case for my small binoculars and a leather case for my range finder? They are both about the same size. I would appreciate any help or assistance of any kind.

Thank you.

Maple Man

I would suggest that you get the following books : The Art of Making Leather Cases vol 1,2,&3. by Al Stohlman. they are one of the best in helping you make cases and the patterns are easy to follow.Stephen

I would suggest that you get the following books : The Art of Making Leather Cases vol 1,2,&3. by Al Stohlman. they are one of the best in helping you make cases and the patterns are easy to follow.Stephen

Hello Stephen,

I have found all 3 books but the shipping to get them down here is a killer. I need to try and find some here in Canada.

Thank you,

Raymond

Don't know how close to Dartmouth you are, there is a tandy store in Dartmouth they would have those books in stock. If you can't get to the store call them they should be able to mail direct from their store to you.

Don't know how close to Dartmouth you are, there is a tandy store in Dartmouth they would have those books in stock. If you can't get to the store call them they should be able to mail direct from their store to you.

Another option is the Tandy Leathercraft Library. You can purchase them online as an ebook.

Hello,

I am 3.5 hrs from Tandy Leather Store in Dartmouth. There is a bookstore in the Town of Yarmouth, a half hour from where I live that I may be able to get the books from there I will check today.

Thanks,

Raymond

Another option is the Tandy Leathercraft Library. You can purchase them online as an ebook.

Hello rosiart,

Can I read the eBook on my computer because I do not own an eBook Reader?

Thank you,

Raymond

Hello rosiart,

Can I read the eBook on my computer because I do not own an eBook Reader?

Thank you,

Raymond

Yes, you should be able to. The file comes as a PDF.

Rosemary

Thanks Rosemary. I appreciate the help very much.

Raymond

Welcome to the forum ben!

It's been a great help to me for a while now in my early stages, wet forming was a pretty

brave thing to take on, good on you for giving it a go!

I'm from adelaide also, i'm always looking for excuses to make leather goods for myself

and friends, it kinda... grows on you. If you haven't already discovered them, there's 2

good stores in the metro area- D.S. Horne in Greenacres and Adelaide saddlery supplies in the CBD,

they're both great for advice you should you get stuck and need some face to face time with a pro.

Good luck and tight stitches ben,

Neill

Welcome to the forum Ben, and hi from another South Aussie. Neil's right about Horne's, Doug's a good bloke too!

Jason

Hi ya Ben , glad to see your getting into the leatherworking

we are all here to help if you need it....

regards

Terry

The Leatherbaron , Prospect SA

www.leatherbaron.com

Hello Ben and welcome to the forum!