Sign in to follow this  
blanddragon

An Experiment

Hi guys,

I was playing last week and make this. I know strong side carry/reload. Call it my flight of fancy. Comments and abuse welcome :blahblahblah:

post-17366-062170900 1297356002_thumb.jp

i like it! my question is how does it conform around the waist when worn? it looks to me (im young but my eyesight is still very bad) that the leather between the holster and the mag carrier looks fairly stiff? overall great design though!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Like you said, the strong side reload thing just doesn't work in practical situations. Good looking work though.

I've been making and selling quite a few of those types of holsters for the LCP/ P3AT crowd, both IWB and OWB variants. Heck, I even had a guy request one for a full size Glock 10mm. With 1.25" belt slots at that!

Something to consider. Your weak side hand might be out of the fight for a variety of reasons. In that case, a weak side spare mag is worthless too.

How would you reload with one arm?

That's a good question. There are training facilities that have perfected that technique , there are quite a few differentiation ways, one of the major players in that action is your sights, where you insert a new magazine and rack the slide on your belt or a hard object using the rear sight to push the frame forward engaging the slide to chamber a round. One training video I saw the instructor ejected the spent magazine and turned the pistol around and inserted the gun in his holsterbackwards to hold the gun and while his hand was free, he did a cross draw movent to get the new magazine and inserted it into the grip, clicked it in and pulleed it out of the holster and used the the holster to catch the sights for a chambering of a fresh round. It was a pretty cool move and he did it in all of about 20 seconds or less andhe showed how it worked worked with either arm

Training and practice will show you your best method for your own carry style. There is no single correct answer.

The holster looks nice! I have seen a few holsters like this but the mag holder was on the front side of the pistol. The mag ends up sitting around 2 - 3 oclock postion with the pistol sitting around 4 or 5 oclock. Too see if I would like it I just repostioned my single mag holder to about 3 oclock and practiced some reloads. It really was not to bad. A little slower on the change but not bad. I carry this way quite a bit now because I do carry my phone on the left side. I tend to flash my mag holder when drawing my phone out so I just move the mag to the other side in front of my pistol. With practice your reloads will become smooth. I may have to try building a single rig and see if I like it better. I do like the freedom of the single mag holder and being able to put it anywhere on the belt. Great work!

Hi guys, Im new here and interested in holster making for myself and friends, but proudly, I am a firearms instructor, and can actually have some input here.

Kneel, strong side knee on ground. Handgun can be placed in crook of strongside bent knee for the reload, just place it in the crook, slide in the crease, and sit back on it until secure. Perform your reload then a belt or jean pocket slide rack will have you back in business.

Shane.

Hi guys, Im new here and interested in holster making for myself and friends, but proudly, I am a firearms instructor, and can actually have some input here.

Kneel, strong side knee on ground. Handgun can be placed in crook of strongside bent knee for the reload, just place it in the crook, slide in the crease, and sit back on it until secure. Perform your reload then a belt or jean pocket slide rack will have you back in business.

Shane.

Welcome aboard Shane!

If youre already knee down, use the sole of your shoe ( heel area ) to slingshot the slide.

i like it! my question is how does it conform around the waist when worn? it looks to me (im young but my eyesight is still very bad) that the leather between the holster and the mag carrier looks fairly stiff? overall great design though!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks RWP. Actually it's 'rounded' out pretty good. It's kind of like wearing a crossbreed as it's substantial against the body.

I still need to pay way more attention to my stitching lines, I have a hard time gauging my offset from the pocket.

Shane.

Hi Shane,

Good idea I'll try that in a drill. I've used the reverse the pistol in the holster and the weak hand (drilling strong side injury obviously) slapping the mag home across the butt.

I find it problematic because my attention is not out, it's down.

To be completely honest , a handgun is only for me to get to a real gun.

I've considered making a similar rig, but with the magazine in front, and for a completely different purpose.

Basically an off-side (left-handed, for most folks) holster for a backup weapon, AND one reload for the primary weapon.